Vote for your 3 civs you would most like to see (Part IX : Native Mesoamerica and Caribbean) ?

Which 3 civlizations would you like to see in the future ? (Mesoamerica and the Caribbean)

• Arawak (as a whole)

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Olmecs

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Tarascans

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Zapotecs

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Mayans

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Lucayans

• Taino

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Toltecs

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Huastec

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mixtec

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Igneri

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Teuchitlan

• Totonac

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Mixe

• Other

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters

Liufeng

A man of his time
Hello everyone, and here comes the whole new poll for the 3 most wanted civs you would like to see in Civilization VI ! This time, the poll focuses on Masoamerica and the Caribbean Archipelago. As always, vote for the three (or 1, or 2) civs you would love to see in the game in a future expansion or DLC ! Don't forget to reply your answers and explain why x civ os more deserving than another !

If you did not participated in the last polls, well, it's not too late to do so ! Just follow the links :
Part I (Western Europe) : https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ost-like-to-see-part-i-western-europe.606097/
Part II (Eastern Europe) : https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...st-like-to-see-part-ii-eastern-europe.606569/
Part III (Western Asia) : https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ost-like-to-see-part-iii-western-asia.606991/
Part IV (Central Asia) : https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...most-like-to-see-part-iv-central-asia.607385/
Part V (Eastern Asia) : https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...-most-like-to-see-part-v-eastern-asia.607762/
Part VI (Maghreb and Western Africa) : https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...o-see-part-vi-maghreb-and-west-africa.608143/
Part VII (South, East and Central Africa) : https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...art-vii-south-east-and-central-africa.608904/
Part VIII (Native North America) : https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...to-see-part-viii-native-north-america.609335/

I thank you all for your participation, and wish you the best !

Mayans: The most obvious, and it's my favorite Pre-Columbian civilization. I want to see them focused on science and faith.

Olmecs: It's an ancient and obscure civ, which gives me a lot of interest. Although the lack of knowledge about them is a impediment for their inclusion.

Arawak: It's a large indigenous nation that spans the Caribbean and part of South America. I think the game needs at least one native civ that does not come from North America, and Arawak would can be the first choice.

Olmecs: It's an ancient and obscure civ, which gives me a lot of interest. Although the lack of knowledge about them is a impediment for their inclusion.
QUOTE]
I also thought the Olmecs, but just like the Nazcas, the Mississipians or the Anasazi, we basically have no written history on them, which basically means that we either have decaying leaders for them or no leaders at all ... Which is a little sad I would also have liked the Olmecs to be in the game.

There are no modern/post colonial nations in the list, how come?

I voted for the Maya (for obvious reasons, plus I want to see a female leader for them), Zapotecs (realistically not getting in, but they had influence in their part of Mesoamerica, and Teotihuacan/and Olmecs are too "mysterious" to be turned into a civ, the Zapotec languages are still spoken today, just like most of the Mayan languages), and Taino (also realistically not getting in, but I would like to see Anacaona as a leader in the game)

Ironically, I too voted for Mayans, Zapotec, and Taino. In a perfect world, I'd like to see the Aztecs dropped and replaced by the Zapotec (since the Mayans are a must and it's hard to justify all three), but just like Gandhi we'll never see the end of Civ-mascot Monty. :( (Not to imply the Aztecs are unworthy of inclusion, but variety is the spice of life and all--and the Zapotec were a major cultural power in the region.) As mentioned, the Olmec are too unknown to be made into a civ, just like the Mississippians and the Minoans.

Ironically, I too voted for Mayans, Zapotec, and Taino. In a perfect world, I'd like to see the Aztecs dropped and replaced by the Zapotec (since the Mayans are a must and it's hard to justify all three), but just like Gandhi we'll never see the end of Civ-mascot Monty. :( (Not to imply the Aztecs are unworthy of inclusion, but variety is the spice of life and all--and the Zapotec were a major cultural power in the region.) As mentioned, the Olmec are too unknown to be made into a civ, just like the Mississippians and the Minoans.
What? The Minoans unknown? What benighted part of the world are you from where this is true?

What? The Minoans unknown? What benighted part of the world are you from where this is true?

We can't read Linear A as we have no Rosetta stone to transcribe like ancient Egyptian nor any native speakers like Mayan. So we have archaeological evidence but really not any idea about things like city names, leaders, culture, etc other than what can be gleaned from artifacts. Same thing with the Olmecs and Moche which would be new Central American and South American civs if we knew enough about them to actually name things.

As Phrozen said, we can't read their languages (neither Linear A nor Minoan Hieroglyphics), we have no city names, no leader names, and everything we know about their culture either comes from frescoes or from Greek commentaries written hundreds of years after the fact (which doesn't automatically mean they're inaccurate, but you do have to take into account bias and data corruption). So do we know that the Minoans were an important economic power in the early Mediterranean? Yes. Do we know anything about them specifically as a people? Only what physical archaeology can tell us. The same problem comes up with the Olmec and Mahenjo Daro: we know they existed, we know some things about their physical culture, but we know nothing of their languages, politics, or history. A Minoan or Olmec civilization would be based purely on speculation or ad hoc replacement--although previous treatments of the Huns or the Scythians (or, ironically, the well-documented Sumerians) suggests that 2k might not have a problem designing a civ based on hearsay and arbitrarily invented ideas. :rolleyes:

The Mississippians actually have a completely different problem. They are historically attested, and their immediate descendants such as the Natchez, Muscogee, Choctaw/Chickasaw, probably the Cherokee, etc. are well documented, giving us both languages and leaders--but these were leaders who presided over the waning days of their civilization. As I mentioned in another thread, it would be like choosing Romulus Augustulus to lead Rome.

Due to the paucity of data, the Mississippians, Olmec, Mahenjo-daro, Minoans, etc. are better left as city-states.

Due to the paucity of data, the Mississippians, Olmec, Mahenjo-daro, Minoans, etc. are better left as city-states.

There are actually quite a few civilizations like that. Moche, Nazca, Great Zimbabwe, The Sea People (who we only know through other civilizations records and they don't know where they came from), The Swahili city states to some extent.

There are actually quite a few civilizations like that. Moche, Nazca, Great Zimbabwe, The Sea People (who we only know through other civilizations records and they don't know where they came from), The Swahili city states to some extent.
I'm not going to lie: a Nazca city-state allowing you to make a Nazca line UI would be pretty awesome...

heck I'd like to see a lot of those in a mesoamerican scenario. Might even make it myself if I can ever get a decent map of the new world.

We can't read Linear A as we have no Rosetta stone to transcribe like ancient Egyptian nor any native speakers like Mayan. So we have archaeological evidence but really not any idea about things like city names, leaders, culture, etc other than what can be gleaned from artifacts. Same thing with the Olmecs and Moche which would be new Central American and South American civs if we knew enough about them to actually name things.
Ah that sort of unknown. I thought you meant that people were unaware of their existence.

Top Bottom