1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vote the best Leaders, choose your top 3.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by CypherEnigma, Jun 1, 2017.

?

Vote the best Leaders, choose your top 3.

Poll closed Jun 16, 2017.
  1. Teddy Roosevelt

8.7%
  2. Saladin

12.0%
  3. John Curtin

21.7%
  4. Montezuma

20.7%
  5. Pedro II

9.8%
  6. Qin Shi Huang

13.0%
  7. Cleopatra

8.7%
  8. Victoria

16.3%
  9. Catherine de' Medici

2.2%
  10. Frederick Barbarossa

28.3%
  11. Gorgo

14.1%
  12. Pericles

8.7%
  13. Gandhi

1.1%
  14. Hojo Tokimune

10.9%
  15. Mvemba a Nzinga

9.8%
  16. Harald Hardrada

5.4%
  17. Alexander

16.3%
  18. Cyrus

17.4%
  19. Jadwiga

6.5%
  20. Trajan

27.2%
  21. Peter

10.9%
  22. Tomyris

10.9%
  23. Philip II

6.5%
  24. Gilgamesh

8.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CypherEnigma

CypherEnigma Chieftain

There has probably been several of these but I have not seen one, so out of curiosity I love to see how the leaders rank up.

2. cazaderonus

cazaderonus Actual Dad.

Any civ with a strong early UU, especially one that replaces swordsmen is OP considering the weakness of the AI in battle.

No need for iron, bonus strength or bonus effect, it just makes any game a walk in the park by just focusing on units and then conquering an empire or two and win from there.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Since there aren't any parameters for how we should choose (ie funnest to play as, play against, most powerful LUA, etc), I will pick the ones I find to be most enjoyable to play as.
    Cyrus
    Victoria
    Mvemba

4. topresch

topresch Warlord

I went Tomyris, Frederick and Qin with only the Civ Leader Ability as a premise.

5. meanFalse

meanFalse Chieftain

Trajan is my fav because of Bath. Pericles is the AI best leader because they always manage to keep up. Only one game with John Curtin and I have already found it ridiculously strong.

6. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I chose Monty and Harald because I'm interested in the Aztec and Viking Norse cultures.

7. King William I

King William I Prince

I chose the three I have the easiest time befriending.

Trojan
    Peter
    Cleopatra

8. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Should we vote for strongest leaders in game? Or for best rulers in real world? Or for how well designed they are?

9. liv

liv Emperor

I like playing with female leaders so I chose Jadwiga, Victoria and Gorgo. They all have fun abilities.

10. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I chose my favorite to play and the two I like to have in my games most...

11. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Under what criteria?

c4c6 and Zaarin like this.
  12. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Given the vague lack of criteria, I chose the leaders I've played who are strongest, more or less taking into account civ abilities as well, but leaving out Cyrus since I never actually used his leader ability--but I'd add that I think Persia is nevertheless a powerhouse.

Frederick Barbarossa: This guy is so overpowered it is insane. Virtually free boosted Industrial District + synergy bonuses with Commercial District = absolutely insane for any victory condition. I tried winning a science victory with Barbarossa, but my district game was so on point I accidentally won a culture victory first. :rolleyes: (This was before they nerfed Industrial District overlap, but I'm pretty certain he's still insanely OP.)

Cleopatra: I underestimated her before I played as her, but her trade route bonus makes her veritably swimming in wealth from quite early in the game, while the Iteru ability can be an enormous boon if you start with enough river access (the game I played as her, it would have been difficult for me to not build districts and wonders next to rivers).

Hojo Tokimune: Just getting three districts for half cost is pretty potent, and the adjacency bonuses synergize really well with that.

Honorable mention for Jadwiga: Culture bombing and yet more potent trade routes.

Honorable mention for Catherine de Medici: Don't underestimate the bonus she receives to tourism; my fastest culture victory to date was as Catherine, thanks to triple tourism from wonders.

Now a couple I was rather disappointed with:

Mvemba a Nzinga: While he can indeed grow some incredibly large cities, he otherwise doesn't actually have a lot going for him. Maybe my start location was poor, but to date the only game of Civ6 I lost was as Kongo.

Pedro II: Those adjacency bonuses can be crazy (I've had over +6 bonuses) and the carnival is interesting, but overall he seems more middle-of-the-pack.

Qin Shi Huang: Extra builder charges, using builders to rush wonders, bonus culture and tourism from the Great Wall, and bonuses to Eurekas/Inspirations makes him look like a great contender for culture victory on paper...but in practice he extremely underperforms compared to his wonder-building competitors, Cleopatra and Catherine de Medici. Plus he looks like a toad. :smug: <--I didn't know we actually had a Qin Shi Huang emoticon. :p

Siptah and Abraxis like this.
  13. The Highwayman

The Highwayman Warlord

Can the OP be more specific as to what "best leaders" means? Just the leader ability, as in best 3 leader abilities? Best looking? Best at being terrible?

14. spfun

spfun King

Hes my most played nation, double merchant/theater points, he just gobbles up all the merchants/writers... 12 food 12 production 24 gold archaeological museums, 5 slot palace for another potential 10 food 10 production 20 gold, amazing earlier neighborhoods that also provide food/gold and are 50% cheaper to build, useful unique unit which lays waste to early game archer/cities and is great on the defense with jungle/tree movement bonus. And as an added bonus can't fall into the religion trap! This singly makes AI Kongo up there with the strongest AI, a deity Kongo runaway is a huge threat. My quickest science/culture wins are playing as Kongo, other than non stop conquest games.

My second most played is Australia, just all around very useful bonuses. Hes my second go to civ.

Third i picked Aztecs, I normally play as Kongo/Australia as I don't like to war very often, but the games I played as Aztecs I absolutely wrecked.

The Highwayman likes this.
  15. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

I totally agree about Cleopatra she's my spirit animal. :egypt:

I'm surprised about Catherine though, I like playing as her as well but I have only began focusing on her recently and I'm not very good. I feel like no one else plays her, or if they do, they're very quiet about it. Do you bother with a religion? This is something that drives me crazy, I can't decide whether it's a red herring or not. She has no inherent bonus toward getting one so it's a huge investment, but at the same time she has so much to gain from founding one, and she hasn't got anything else she really needs to focus on early unless she's boxed in of course. If you've not founded one there isn't a useful policy wonder until Industrial unless you happen to have a lot of lakes. This also has me wondering if maybe it's best to focus on science first to get to Forbidden Palace, then start focusing on culture. What do you think??

Also, do you find you start out next to natural wonder often with her?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Siptah likes this.
  16. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Warlord

The 3 civs that I enjoy playing the most are:

Cyrus (Persia): Flavorful unit/domination bonus paired with fantastic culture/gold improvement & trade route abilities.

John Curtain (Australia): Appeal bonuses w/ districts makes the entire city building aspect much more fun. The extra "defensive" production takes things a bit over the top.

Tomyris (Scythia): Flexible domination/religious bonuses that complement each other and carries throughout all eras. Kurgans are solid gold/faith allowing food heavy or production-less cities to contribute for funding faith-purchasing or military costs.

If I had to pick a 4th it would be Victoria (England). The bonuses are a bit later then the other 3, but are quite potent and stack quickly.

I really want to enjoy more faith based civs like Gandhi [India] and Philip [Spain], but conditions which their bonuses thrive under are sparse and specific. At least in my games.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Hawke9 likes this.
  17. footslogger

footslogger Warlord

I don't usually go for conquest but Alexander makes it tempting and I won easily when I played as him the other day. Early UU, no war weariness, all those extra techs etc from conquered cities. Wow!

18. CypherEnigma

CypherEnigma Chieftain

Just your favourite leaders for any reason at all. Ones you like to play as or just enjoy in overall. Best beards if you like :)

c4c6 likes this.
  19. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

Alexander is ridiculously easy to play - Trajan is brilliant too, both early advantage civs, my favorite is Frederick tho', an early challenge, then wham! Hansa!!

20. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I've not tried all the leaders yet, but I choose the ones I most want to go back to once I have given everyone a whirl.
    Saladin: want to experiment more with that science/religion interplay he has
    Monty: I love the extra strength for luxuries. OP, yes, but fun.
    Victoria: didn't get to as much as I wanted with her free units, sea dogs, or museums the first time I played her