1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vox Populi Diplomacy Feedback

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Recursive, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Warlord

I think he means selling your votes on your own proposal to the AI, which is kind of ridiculous. If you proposed it the AI should know that you will already vote Yea.

mohard likes this.
  2. Recursive

Recursive Deity

Define "rather strange things".

Guaranteed votes on your own proposal means guaranteed non-votes on other proposals.

Kim Dong Un and tu_79 like this.
  3. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

First, strange things means asking for votes for things that are surely irrelevant to that civ, like open doors on a CS on the other side of the map or banning a resource of a minor civ.

Sure, you can argue that my devoting votes to something prevents me from voting for other things, but I'm already made aware of the proposals from the moment they are all made and I know how many votes everyone has. If I needed those three votes, then I wouldn't give them away: and the votes don't shift nearly fast enough for me to be worried. Moreover - if another proposal is made that I think is more important to defend against that succeeding in my own, then I can still get paid by someone to defend against it with my own votes.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  4. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper King

Not a co-op war, Persia started first then America within 10-15 turns Washington is guarded in the attached screenshot.

5. crdvis16

crdvis16 Emperor

I think the current rules for AI vote trading occassionally lead to some strange looking deals.

The AI will sometimes pay for votes that you would do anyway. I've made github reports when the AI will pay for votes against their own proposals or against things that, on paper, seem like they would be beneficial to them.

The explanation for these things is that sometimes the AI will pay you to vote for your own proposal to ensure you don't have as many votes for something else. Or in the second case above, they decide they want an otherwise favorable proposal to fail because of diplomatic relationships or something (their religion becoming the world religion might anger competing religious civs I think).

Maybe the AI could stand to be more simple in its vote calculations? Trying to be sneaky and tie other's votes up elsewhere tends to lead to non-immersive and/or occasionally exploitable deals. Paying you to vote against a proposal that would greatly benefit them in order to not rock the boat too much seems too careful. As a player I don't think I'd ever do either thing.

6. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Playing 2-18b3, I've been pretty happy with diplomacy overall.

1) Defensive pacts seem reasonable. I'm not seeing an AI with too many of them yet, and I've been offered them a time or two.
    2) Tech trading has been very expensive but possible in certain cases.
    3) The AI is not ganging up on me like they used to. They might be a bit too passive right now. I have Japan as my neighbor currently, and I made a total of 4 military units until I got steel...and yet Japan never attacked me. We've been good partners, but I was surprised that a traditional warmonger would be that passive when I was quite weak.

7. Recursive

Recursive Deity

I'm rewriting the approach function and I've included more weight against DoW'ing tougher opponents.

I can see the logic there. Will work on this at some point.

1 & 2) Good news, particularly the better DP performance.

3) Too passive, hmm. Next version should improve that. I'll add more weight for competition.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

8. Recursive

Recursive Deity

Sorry, I missed this post. Will take a look.

9. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

Don't be sorry; you have a lot on your plate with regards to this project. Trying to essentially rebuild the diplo from scratch is/was/always will be the most daunting part of this entire mess left by Fireaxis, and even if I knew how to code, I couldn't imagine being on the front lines of the diplo situation.

Things are already 100x better than they were just a short time ago, so keep up the great work! My current game (using your dll) has been amazing and very dynamic with diplo; I'll have a summary for you when it's finished.

vyyt likes this.