1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vox Populi for Civ VI?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ThunderLizard2, May 30, 2018.

1. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I'm in favour of agendas as they help to make the diplomatic game more interesting and help each game to play differently with respect to how you maintain good relations with your neighbours.

What I dislike is when the agendas are divorced from how the AI leader plays the game. I also dislike that in the current state of the game, good relationships aren't particularly important. There's an opportunity cost to not getting alliance bonuses, but little to no true costs in terms of potential impact from an unfriendly neighbour attacking you.

tzu and acluewithout like this.
  2. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

If better AI is the main thing people are looking for from a Vox Populi equivalent for Civ 6, then I wouldn't hold my breath. As I understand it, the tweaks that Gazebo made for Civ 5 in Vox Populi were only achievable once the SDK was released, which hasn't happened yet for Civ 6. As of now, the files that modders would need to access to make those changes are hidden away where the public can't get to them.

3. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

And Firaxis has not even confirmed yet if they plan to release that source code.

tzu likes this.
  4. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

It may depend on their plans for Civ 7. They dropped the Civ 5 engine for Civ 6, and so may have been more willing to release the SDK to code they weren't planning on using in the future.

If Firaxis decides to build Civ 7 on top of the Civ 6 code, they may be less inclined to share, even when they're done releasing Civ 6 content themselves.

5. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Prince

They only release source code that is a subset of the full project, strictly concerning game logic. It's fairly useless for any purpose other than modding a specific game version, or as an educational reference. The community has never had access to any low level source, such as for rendering, network, etc. Some of the game core stuff is reused or adapted in successive versions, but I can't see how making that public impacts future use.

My guess is that they're just slow, because they're busy. Although the lack of communication is, by far, the worst aspect of the current state of affairs.

tzu likes this.