Vox Populi on linux

Been playing VP for a while, and lurking the forums. Gradually, getting more frustrated by windows, i decided it was time, to switch to linux. Since VP using .dll, it can not be run on linux natively. With lutris and wine i managed get the game up running, stable? so far, supporting VP and mods.

Last edited:
I've had it working on Solus Budgie before with quite a suite of mods. Works Great! Wish there was a proton version that worked with it directly through steam though...

Good news! With steam client beta and proton experimental Civ5 works!

I installed VP using protontricks and started a new game, but got a bunch of errors about missing textures and it's unplayable. I'll try to debug it next week. I remember that there were some problems with mods and case folding on linux. Too bad I'm using xfs instead of ext4...

I've had success with wine-steam through lutris, currently using lutris-fshack-6.14-3. Mostly default settings but I enabled esync and fsync. I can't recall but there may be some issues which can be resolved by installing winetricks components, or system libraries.
Fsync made civ5 much faster and more stable for me, if you can manage to get it working (it may require a kernel patch depending on your system - it was easily installed through some package on Arch). In fact it was unplayable without fsync due to frequent CTDs, but with fsync I get windows-like performance.
Didn't find any need for cast folding.

I'm not playing much VP right now, but when I did on Linux I rarely had platform-specific bugs that were not present on Windows.
Presumably this was due to VP accidentally relying on undefined behavior.

Also note that a CTD on Windows (in my case) translated to the game freezing on Linux.
The dump file was still being generated though.

Found out the reason why VP didn't work. The installer is confused with protons game files location.

So to fix it you just have to move the UI_bc1 directory from
~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/8930/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/
to
~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/

Found out the reason why VP didn't work. The installer is confused with protons game files location.

~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/8930/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/
to
That's great news, I look forward to trying that out sometime.

@petete1 solution running civ+VP through steam, with experimental proton works great! In addition to that, making firetuner/autoplay accessible, i had to change proton compatibility to the 6.3.7 version for SDK.

Last edited:
I got it working through proton experimental as well! This is so great. It was the only steam game I was running through lutris. Much easier to just run it through proton. Thanks @petete1 for alerting us to that!

So I ran into an interesting issue I haven't seen when running through lutris. I'm not clear why, but 6 of the mods I use are not showing up in the mod list in game. They don't seem to have any unique chararistics so I'm unclear as to what could be going on. The mods are (text) Alternative Component Names for VP, (ui) City-States Leaders for VP, (ui) List Enhancements for VP (v 5.1), (ui) Meaningful Colours (v 8), Better Lakes for Vox Populi (v 2.2), and Capture Great People for VP (v 3). Anybody have any ideas? I thought about case being the issue as mentioned above, but nothing is unique about these mods within the folder or in how they were installed.

Just wanted to follow up here. Not sure what the issue really was in the end, but I saw that Glorious Eggroll's proton now has the fixes for Civ 5 too so uninstalled ans switched to that and now all of my mods are showing up.

I'll have to try one of these when I get my Gentoo install going again. Will return with results.

to

So I seem to have the same problem as you described initially but I can't for the life of it find the UI_bc1 directory. It's not in the folder you outlined and I can't find it anywhere else - any ideas what I could do?

Great news, I still cling to an old win7 install but some day I expect I will have to move to linux (which I use for work), there is no way in hell Ill go win1x.

So I seem to have the same problem as you described initially but I can't for the life of it find the UI_bc1 directory. It's not in the folder you outlined and I can't find it anywhere else - any ideas what I could do?

I would just try doing a search for UI_bc1 in that compdata directory, or perhaps just do a PC wide search.

I finally found the folder and moved it as you outlined: Everything works beautifully now. Amazing stuff!

I always managed to play in Manjaro without any config or software more than wine. Using winearch x32, no lutris or anything, but now since new version of wine stop working, or I screwed up something LOL. Updated wine and VP and can't load some textures now. I will try some of your configurations and post here.

PS: what about linux version of civs? work with VP?

Updated wine and VP and can't load some textures now.

nevermind, beginner mistake, I had reinstalled the game and forgot to reinstall EUI. Still running perfectly in manjar with the new wine version no configuration needed or any other software. What I do:

Install new wine 7x with wine-mono and all updated dependecies of wine:

Code:
sudo pacman -S wine

Changed prefix to use winex32:

delete .wine folder in home then run:

Code:
WINEARCH=win32 winecfg

install the game, install EUI and VoxPopuli, run with dx9, enjoy.

For dx10, 11 I guess will be different I always played this way this is an old machine.

It works flawlessly on Manjaro, through the native client.
Make sure you place the mod files in the right folder. If using native linux runtime, place them in the /aspyr mod folder (it's structured like MyDocuments, just do a kfind for "aspyr", it should be the sole folder on your system).
If you run the .exe to install, find the mod files and place them in the aspyr folder. ALL FILES MUST BE LOWER CASE. Personally, I just "zip *" and "unzip -LL" the file to do that, there's probably better ways.
If you run through Proton (6.3 is fine), you need to place the files in the compatdata folder, under steamapps, for the game (run protontricks -s "civ" to get the right folder number). In that compatfolder, there will be a c:\ drive, find the MyDocuments mod folder therein and place the mod files there instead of the aspyr folder. Aspyr is only used for the native client. The files do NOT need to be all lower case if running on Proton.

Top Bottom