Vox Populi very very hard after update?

Soren L

Chieftain
Is it me or has Civ5 become almost unplayable after the latest Vox Populi update. Usually I could ace Emperor lvl. Now I get my ass kicked on Prince... What am I doing wrong?

Is it me or has Civ5 become almost unplayable after the latest Vox Populi update. Usually I could ace Emperor lvl. Now I get my ass kicked on Prince... What am I doing wrong?

The game has become 1.5 levels tougher in the last six months or so, in my estimate. Your performance drop is somewhat worse than that. I have no idea what you're doing wrong, but it sounds like something basic that has caught up with you, because even with the improvements in the AI, Prince should be winnable for someone who did well with (earlier, easier) versions at Emperor.

You may want to lay out the basics of your approach.

Yesterday i finished a game with 2-27 version. I lost on turn 271 to Egypt, who won Tourism victory, though i was top3 in tech and i was catching up. So, not sure about that, seemed hard, but playable (Deity).

[QUOTE="Txurce, post: 15084250, member: 9482"You may want to lay out the basics of your approach.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wouldn't know what to do differently any more. Maybe time to say bye to Vox Populi all together....

The game has become 1.5 levels tougher in the last six months or so, in my estimate.

This has been my experience. Emperor feels a bit like Immortal from 6 months ago. I can't point to any one factor; the AI has improved it's play overall.

I feel it most in culture. I used to be among the leaders in policies regardless of how I was otherwise performing in the game. Now it's not unusual to play catch up to 1 or 2 of the AI.

Yeah, I wouldn't know what to do differently any more. Maybe time to say bye to Vox Populi all together....
You know what they say: When the going gets tough, the tough just give up because geeze isn't it tough?

In all seriousness we can't give you real advice without explanations and screenshots of what's going wrong. Help us help you.

Main reason is the huge collection of bug fixes done in the last few monthes. The AI was buggy and using suboptimal build order. Now its no longer the case. Which mean that for a huge part of the game, the AI is better than an average human, and has additional handicap bonuses (handicap bonuses have also been changed to be less present in early game and more in end game).

On a lot of points, the balance shifted and the few OP stuff has been nerfed.

War is still a domain where you can be better than the AI. Long term analysis and diplomaty too.

ElliotS is right on a point. If you post a screenshot of one of your games, it will be far easier to say what did got wrong.

I, for one, our new AI overlords.

I mean, seriously, smarter opponents + less handicaps = more fun. I've stepped down from Emperor to King myself and am still definitely finding it more challenging than before.

If you are not playing Settler right now, then good news for you: The game has better replayability than before. If you worry about your ego, think that playing at king is like playing vanilla deity. So beating the game at Immortal is like being a Deity++ player.

AI difficulty for the right reasons is a good thing, not a bad thing. It requires some readjustment as this beastly mod is approaching its final version. Remember, ilteroi did some tactical changes recently. This is a blessing, not a curse.

Last edited:
I agree it has become harder. As a result, I have dropped down from Deity to Immortal. It's become extremely hard for me to compete on Deity unless I'm using certain really good civs.

I think the difficulty got a big spike after those Science/Culture AI bonuses they got like a month or two ago. AI did get improved, too, so the difference is noticeable.

I think the difficulty got a big spike after those Science/Culture AI bonuses they got like a month or two ago. AI did get improved, too, so the difference is noticeable.
Well the AI actually gets less bonuses early than it used to, and half as much free culture. I think it's mostly AI improvment and lack of braindead EZ catchup.

Top Bottom