Vp Congress concerns!

HeroOfTheSword

Chieftain
Hi all, so I've been a longtime player of Vp and civ in general, and whilst I originally liked the idea of the game being opened up to us all (the players), now I'm not so sure.

For me, what made this game great was the list of Mod mods I could add to my base game at whim, but now it appears as if such mods aren't being updated, presumably because components of them might be intergrated into the next version? The problem here being the base game isn't that much fun to me and I haven't been bothered to play it since the previous version.

What I'd like to know is; who is benefiting from the Vp Congress? Is it making the mod creators lives easier or harder? If it's making the modders lives easier then forget everything I'm saying lol because that's the most important thing imo.

Maybe I'm being nostalgic but I really miss the days where the mod was updated every couple of months and not in such a drastic way to stall or break so many other really cool mod mods. Or maybe I just need to be patient and in a few months the base game will be much more fun 🤷‍♂️

Hi all, so I've been a longtime player of Vp and civ in general, and whilst I originally liked the idea of the game being opened up to us all (the players), now I'm not so sure.

For me, what made this game great was the list of Mod mods I could add to my base game at whim, but now it appears as if such mods aren't being updated, presumably because components of them might be intergrated into the next version? The problem here being the base game isn't that much fun to me and I haven't been bothered to play it since the previous version.

What I'd like to know is; who is benefiting from the Vp Congress? Is it making the mod creators lives easier or harder? If it's making the modders lives easier then forget everything I'm saying lol because that's the most important thing imo.

Maybe I'm being nostalgic but I really miss the days where the mod was updated every couple of months and not in such a drastic way to stall or break so many other really cool mod mods. Or maybe I just need to be patient and in a few months the base game will be much more fun 🤷‍♂️
Note that the first few sessions have been experimental, the frequency has just been reduced by community vote, and a new release is coming soon (tonight/tomorrow morning, if I can manage it). The problem you're describing may be caused, in part, by the long delay since the last release.

VP has often made dramatic changes which break modmods, even prior to the VP Congress. That's nothing new.

The pace of the recent congresses, and the sheer number of small changes made, with the prospect of some of them maybe being reverted or changed further, made modmodding kind of pointless. The change to a slower release pace should help.

World Congress is certainly not the cause of the issues that come with modmods. In addition to VP breaking modmods before congresses, modmoders have been trying to get their changes implemented into VP as it's easier for them to not update and make sure some functions don't break. The difference is that, instead of proposing them and hoping they get implemented (before Congress was around), these modmoders now aim to suggest and implement proposals into VP directly.

As for who benefits from VP Congress, it really varies between people. People who like experimenting with changes, both big and small, love it. People are like some changes but hate others will dislike Congress for the fact that they are forced to play with all those changes, especially if they are the minority in their opinions. As for modmoders, it makes hardly any difference because the issues have always existed and I don't see them disappearing.

Yup, with the prospect of being able to submit a change and then just... never have to worry about it again, and with the added support of DLL modders if enough people agree that your idea is good? Speaking only for myself, it pulls attention away from modmodding.

For my part, there was also just this backlog of ideas I had wanted to be put into VP, but couldn't implement with just lua. Reworking Rome, for example, was beyond my skill as a modder.

Top Bottom