Vrylakas' Eastern European History-Question-a-Day Quiz

They are the same city.I prefer Pressburg anyway.

Kennelly wrote:

They are the same city.

Yes indeed they are. Modern Bratislava ("City of the Brotherly Slavs"), the capital of Slovakia, was once the Hungarian capital (Pozsóny) for the northern Hungarian territories not conquered by the Ottomans (1526-1690). The city's considerable historic German population called the city Pressburg, as indeed did the Habsburgs when they ruled it.

This was an illustrative point, that many towns and regions throughout Europe but especially Eastern Europe have multiple names because at different times in history they belonged to different states or cultural groups. This may have been fine except for the radical nationalism that shook Europe in the 19th and 20th centuries, leading to rivers of blood in fights to control these areas with overlapping histories.

Good one Kennelly!

I prefer Pressburg anyway.

I wonder why....

Next question:

Poles occupying Moscow?!? Never! Or did it happen...?
Hint: An evening at the Bolshoi.

I don't know what the 'evening at the Bolshoi' is, but Poles occupied Moscow during the during "Time of troubles" - Smuta - (one of my favorite historical periods)

Starring: Marina Mniscek, Lzhedmitry I, Lzhedmitry II, Marfa Sobakina as the "happy" mother and others
Time: First decade of XVII century

Edit: These events are certainly the pride of the Polish history I suppose ;)

Edit2:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! Ja ponial!!! BORIS GODUNOV!:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

BiFrost wrote:

I don't know what the 'evening at the Bolshoi' is, but Poles occupied Moscow during the during "Time of troubles" - Smuta - (one of my favorite historical periods)

Starring: Marina Mniscek, Lzhedmitry I, Lzhedmitry II, Marfa Sobakina as the "happy" mother and others
Time: First decade of XVII century

Yes! King Zygmunt III (Waza) decided it would be nice if Moscow had a Polish-friendly tsar for a change. He seized Smolensk (old Polish tradition) and marched on Moscow (1610) to help install his puppet tsar and things at first went well. But ultimately the boyars were able to unite and organize against the Poles, and three years after the occupation started they booted us out (1612-13). Good job BiFrost - although I guess you would remember...

Edit: These events are certainly the pride of the Polish history I suppose

No, not really. It's seen nowadays as a foolish attempt to meddle in the affairs of a country we had no chance of completely controlling, enmeshing us unnecessarily in a war, for no real gain. Some Polish nationalists like to make a big deal about it but the conditions in 1610-13 were unique, and not to be repeated.

Edit2:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! Ja ponial!!! BORIS GODUNOV!

The lad gets it! Yes, the very nationalistic Russian opera Boris Godunov in which the evil Poles come and trash Moscow.

Next question:

In 1439 young Georg Kastrioti was declared by the council of the Republic of Ragusa a defender of Islam. This was a form of condemnation since Ragusa was a Christian Slavic city-state. Why was Kastrioti's sentence ironic, and how would he become known to history?

Ah, an easy one. George Kastrioti, better known by his Janissary name Skanderberg, was christian by birth, muslim by conversion and Spartan by upbringing, like all Jannisaries.

he later broke with the Ottoman gov. of Albania and became a legendary freedom fighter, keeping the Ottman (and Venetians) at bay for half a century.

About the same time as Janos Hunyadi, another kick ass character from the region...

ZofZ wrote:

Ah, an easy one. George Kastrioti, better known by his Janissary name Skanderberg, was christian by birth, muslim by conversion and Spartan by upbringing, like all Jannisaries.

he later broke with the Ottoman gov. of Albania and became a legendary freedom fighter, keeping the Ottman (and Venetians) at bay for half a century.

About the same time as Janos Hunyadi, another kick ass character from the region...

Yes! Georg Kastrioti was better known to history as Skanderbeg ("Skander-bey", or "Alexander-bey"), the heroic Albanian who in the mid-15th century was so successful in staving off the Ottomans. Indeed, Skanderbeg joined Hunyadi at the disastrous Battle of Varna and helped organize rearguard actions afterwards.

Good job ZofZ!

Next question:

In 1933 young naturalist Walenty Szwajcer went to a medium-sized lake near Gasawa in north central Poland to do some tests on the water and the immediate environment, when he made a startling discovery. During World War II Himmler's SS Ahnenerbe took a deep interest in Szwajcer's discovery. What was it?

Hmmm, this one is trickier...without cheating on Google, I'd say he discovered one of theose early (iron age) settlement that the naziz claimed where proof of Arian settlements...

SS Ahnenerbe was the Archaelogical researcher of the Third reich.

The Biskupin settlement (Biskupin Lake), from the early Iron Age.
It was a personal project of Himmler, with Ahnenerbe meaning "ancestor history", the Germans had great interest in collecting as many ancient items as possible and bring them back to Das Reich. Part of their Germanic pride obsession, I guess.

ZultanofZex wrote:

Hmmm, this one is trickier...without cheating on Google, I'd say he discovered one of theose early (iron age) settlement that the naziz claimed where proof of Arian settlements...

SS Ahnenerbe was the Archaelogical researcher of the Third reich.

Nixon wrote:

The Biskupin settlement (Biskupin Lake), from the early Iron Age.
It was a personal project of Himmler, with Ahnenerbe meaning "ancestor history", the Germans had great interest in collecting as many ancient items as possible and bring them back to Das Reich. Part of their Germanic pride obsession, I guess.

Excellent - right. Nixon got this one, though ZofZ was heading in the right direction. W. Szwajcer noticed while working some wooden spikes sticking out of the water, and lo! it turned out to be the ruins of a late bronze/early iron age (c. 1200 B.C.) settlement. Biskupin (as it has become called) saw many levels of use since by many different peoples and was inhabited until about the time of Christ. The briney (sp?) lake preserved foundations of the settlement so archaeologists could accurately reconstruct many aspects of the "town" at different stages in its development. Today it is completely reconstructed as an iron age settlement, complete with re-enactors (who are archaeologists studying iron age technologies).

As ZofZ correctly mentioned, the SS Ahnenerbe was Himmler's wacko pseudo-archaeology division - or put better, Himmler's "Go out and claim everything in Eastern Europe was actually built by early Germanic peoples" unit. The ruins at Biskupin suffered much under the Ahnenerbe. Under the communist years the Polish goverbment encouraged the belief that Biskupin was an early Slavic "proto-Polish" settlement, but that's been since rejected by most self-respecting Polish archaeologists today.

Great job guys!

Next question:

Hitro has a thread in the OT Forum about the infamous Benes Decrees; what country was ordered to deport its German population by the Allies but refused?

Originally posted by Vrylakas
Hitro has a thread in the OT Forum about the infamous Benes Decrees; what country was ordered to deport its German population by the Allies but refused?

Czechoslovakia.

Incarnatur Est wrote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Vrylakas
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Czechoslovakia.

No, Czechoslovakia was definitely very actively involved in deportations of "undesirables".

What about Croatia, then? During the war (because of the Ustashe [sp?] regime) it was a puppet/ally of Germany.
In fact, I read that the Croatian national anthem still has the words that sound something like "Thanks to Germany" or "Thank God for Germany" or something. So that's why I think that they didn't deport the Germans

Kamilian 1 wrote:

What about Croatia, then? During the war (because of the Ustashe [sp?] regime) it was a puppet/ally of Germany.
In fact, I read that the Croatian national anthem still has the words that sound something like "Thanks to Germany" or "Thank God for Germany" or something. So that's why I think that they didn't deport the Germans

No, though you're geographically close.

Let's see, a hint: This country in question had - and still has - a significant German minority. The country's refusal to deport this minority was based on the fact that during the war and even the occupation period most of the Germans who lived in this country remained loyal and did not join the SS or German administration. In the end the ACC issued an ultimatum that x number of Germans be deported or consequences would follow so the country did have to deport some, but it deported only exactly the number the Allies demanded.

Most of the Germans in this country derive from centuries of Medieval immigration, and though they came from all over the Germanies they are called in this country "Schwabs".

Serbia.

Schwabs? Hmm... must be very close to Austria :)
Ploand? - I haven't heard about any significant German settlements there.
Croatia? Slovenia? Doubtful.
Czech Republic? Quite possible - Sudet region (or how is it spelled? :mischief: ) AFAIK was full of Germans before WW2, but since it's not a correct answer,

Let it be Slovenia :D
... Oh wait, was Slovenia an independent state then??? :hmm:

hmmmm.... So it's not Croatia. I know for a fact that it wasn't Poland and Czechoslovakia because they practicaly jumped at the chance to get rid of their ethnic German populations...
I'll say... Hungary. No real logical thinking... I'm just shooting in the dark about this one.

Nixon wrote:

Serbia.

No.

Hitro wrote:

I think you mean Romania.

No, Romania had to be restrained from deporting its substantial population of Hungarians and Germans.

BiFrost wrote:

Schwabs? Hmm... must be very close to Austria
Ploand? - I haven't heard about any significant German settlements there.

Poland was wall-to-wall Germans, especially in the cities. The mixture in medieval Poland between Germans and Poles was so complete that there are some historic personalities whose true ethnic identity (as far as we understand ethnicity) cannot be discerned.

Croatia? Slovenia? Doubtful.

Very doubtful indeed.

Czech Republic? Quite possible - Sudet region (or how is it spelled? ) AFAIK was full of Germans before WW2, but since it's not a correct answer,

Let it be Slovenia
... Oh wait, was Slovenia an independent state then???

No - it wasn't. Slovenia was in Mr. Tito's revised Yugoslavia, and indeed he tried to attach Karinthja and Trieste to Slovenia.

Kamilian 1 wrote:

hmmmm.... So it's not Croatia. I know for a fact that it wasn't Poland and Czechoslovakia because they practicaly jumped at the chance to get rid of their ethnic German populations...
I'll say... Hungary. No real logical thinking... I'm just shooting in the dark about this one.

And the stab in the dark gets it! Germany tried to recruit among the Hungarian Germans for Wehrmacht and SS duty but only got a very lukewarm response, and after March 1944 when the Germans ran the country directly Hitler was infuriated that he got minimal cooperation from the "Schwabs" in Hungary. For this the Hungarians were quite thankful and they in turn refused to deport the Germans when ordered to do so at the same time as the Benes Decrees in Czechoslovakia. Budapest was given an ultimatum to produce x number of Germans for deportation and they did - exactly to the number. The Hungarians saw the Schwabs as "our Germans", as opposed to those from Germany proper. Still today there is a substantial German minority group in southwestern Hungary, with several secondary schools teaching exclusively in German and the German government maintains a local consulate.

Good job!

OK, next question:

Who was Wit Stwosz, and where was he born? What became of his most famous work?

WOOHOO! I got lucky!...unfotunately i never heard of Wit Stwosz, so...

Top Bottom