W-I-P: Storm Over the Pacifc

Did I just spot Betty Grable?

i started pre-placing some aircraft last night. i can see light !!
I supposed you spent all night placing aircraft and the 'light' is what's usually called 'dawn'.

Glad to help (and ogle Betty Grable).

back at it as they say :)

been polishing the map up, running some pre-alpha test runs to get a feel for production, economics, science, food, and some other things.

ran a bunch of "Battle of the Coral Sea" test runs. not too pleased, to be honest. it needs some refining. of course, it's the carrier activities that i'm not too pleased with. we'll see.

started pre-placing units onto the map also. got all of the 'King' units onto the map :D here's the starting list:

US: 5 to start : MacArthur in Brisbane, Nimitz at Pearl, Hap Arnold in SF and Dr. Oppenheimer in Albuquerque, NM, and then the Panama Canal Zone which is sort of like a 'building' unit (and not a person like the others)

Japan : 9 to start : Hirohito, Tojo, both in Tokyo, Yamamoto in Rabaul, Sugiyama in China; then there's the multiple 'building' units at Singapore, Hong Kong, Manilla, Rabaul, and Truk

British India : 2 - Highflyer RN Base on sri lanka and Mountbatten, in Imphal for the time being

Australia : 2 also - Gen Thomas Blamey in Moresby and a generic 'Australian Prime Minister' in canberra

NZ - 1, PM Peter Fraser in Wellington

Rep of China : 3 in total - Chang, Gen Joe Stillwell, Gen Claire Chennault

Red China : 1, Mao

for those keeping score at home, that's 14 'King' units for the Allies (it's an alliance win remember) and 9 for the Japanese. the 'general/admiral' units will be able to move around, load onto transports and even considering giving them the airlift function. the politician-types (including oppenheimer) will be 'stuck' in the city they're placed in. no moving around. same goes for the 'building' units; they can't move around.

additional 'king' units can be spawned via the battle-created unit (spawn the leader, take him back to a city, build 'king', stash him away). so the possibility exists that each side will get more as the scenario (and battles) unfolds.

mass regicide mode requires that a civ is destroyed once all of its king units are killed off. we'll see how it all comes together...as this is all new to me :) so wait and see. on paper it looks ok. but need to lay my eyeballs on it to be sure.

I read somewhere that using King units can mess things up.
One thing I remember it said was that the AI really make it priority one to move any King to the capitol, pronto....

Will this mess things up.
With airlift they will all head for "home" , or ???

here's an update : i can say that i'm alpha testing at this point. this means i'm running the game engine, looking for certain things like shield rates for cities, food for them too, science rates, cash, build times in all cities. i've got through a few civs so far, polishing little parts of their game play, all initial game play stuff. we don't want impossible starting locations. adversity, yeah, but not hundreds of turns to build stuff.

as a result of running multiple short test runs, i've seen a few different scenarios unfold with the Coral Sea naval units. in all cases, both sides launch multiple sorties against the enemy. the end results have varied as i've added stuff onto the map. the actual pre-placement of the fleets, on the biq i'm running, isn't perfectly correct. Kly recommends to spread out the stacks some more. we should have more precise pre-placements for these Coral Sea units as more tests are run.

i have not seen the king units move a whole lot. granted, it's only a handful of turns per test. but i think i may have the edge over the 'send-all-kings-to-capital' behaviors that we're familiar with for the civ3 game engine. i've made these units foot units, with a/d values (where applicable), the 'defense' flag for AI Strategies. this last one is the key. by this i mean that the fields checked in this section have a huge impact on how the AI uses them. so i removed the 'King' AI Strategy...but still tagged them as 'King Unit' in the Unit Abilities section (the one at bottom left, need to do ctrl+click). so the game engine recognizes these units as authentic 'Kings'. it's just that their behavior has been altered. and my hope is that the AI will not be shuttling all of its king units back to their capitals. having a handful in the capitals is ok. but i do not want them all horded back into the main stronghold.

i am experimenting with an unusual method using the 'Enslave' Special Action flag for the chinese commies. gist will be for each type to 'upgrade' through a line of units. so a chi-com guerrilla, if it wins a certain battle against an enemy unit, stands a chance of 'enslaving' its vanquished foe, and the 'Enslave Results In' section of the editor is used to tell us what the chi-com guerrilla helped spawn, a Chinese Red Army Infantry which, if it's lucky enough to 'Enslave' an opponent, will spawn a captured Type 95 tank. i saw a Red Army Infantry get spawned during one of my RoC test runs. so it seems to work. still not sure how it would play out for a human. need to run them in alpha to know for sure if this unusual format can work.

Guerillas spawn regular red army and that, in turn, spawns tanks?

I had enslave activated for both military and naval units. The military made workers. Naval units made the ancient maritime transport ship (this was for an epic game mod, not a specific scenario). I had to select these since selecting a land fighting unit seemed off. There were very few slave armies in history, if any, and most captures resulted in slaves or prisoners. The naval choice was due to the game limitations. I would have liked to have the captured ship remain the same type, but since the capturer determines the types, that wasn't possible. So I chose a type that would cause the least unbalancing and head scratching. The ancient age transport was able to upgrade to later transports. I could of made the enslaved unit be the earliest warship instead, but the AI doesn't do much upgrading and such a unit would be useless to them past the 1st era. A transport is always useful for its role, even if a little slow by later standards.

The AI was able to use this system OK. So I would imagine the AI would be able to handle any enslaved units they got as they do their regular units, provided the units had useful stats and the AI wouldn't need to upgrade them.

One warning about having enslaved units become other fighting units is that the enslavers could end up with a lot of these units, and potentially skew the game balance too much, or the developer's intent for the direction of the mod.

more great stuff from Delta :) have to look over the Art/Units folder to see where i have american placeholders in effect. thanks again for those wonderful units, some of the best ever imho :goodjob:

quick update on where i am with progress etc :

been kinda bogged down (and run down) with spring cleanup, most left over from that Sandy broad. chainsaws, tree limbs, firewood, other tree debris. 45 yard waste bags later and my back yard looks like it did on October 28, 2012. most important part of this though is nobody got hurt from the storm (that i know), no real property damage, no flooding. so we are thankful for that :D

most of my modding time occurs at night, after everyone is asleep. but i've been beat by the time all are in bed :) anyhow, i've been chipping away, just with less frequency.

last i left, i was adding in British India sea units. now, these are really RN ships that were based out of the Far East Fleet and the later British Pacific Fleet. so for all intents are purposes, almost all Royal Navy assets will belong to the British India position. that said, we're trying to iron out the builds for British India. they won't get to build BBs although they will start with a few (even a BC). they'll get a few County class CAs (no building though), 3 CL types, and probably 3 DDs. sifting through carriers atm and subs also. the British India position will have the 3rd best naval lineup in terms of builds (and class types).

Australia has some and will be 4th in line. NZ will be far behind them at 5. nothing for the chinas (probably tr's only).

these ships i haven't put in hasn't stopped me from running alpha tests. game runs super-quick, even in DEBUG mode which typically runs slower. this is great news as always for me since it's my mission to cut turn times. having a modern rig helps of course (2.8GHz processor). but fact is this scenario should run quickly, as quick as and probably quicker than AoI, especially mid-game. the map is big, remember. it's the biggest i've ever used for a civ3 project. so i keep telling myself to keep an eye out for lag. and so far, so good :D

El Justo the Royal navy is not a huge problem I have access to A-Z Class Destroyer models so feel free to add as much as you like. CL's are not a problem. Carriers are a big problem I have none and subs probably will be hit and miss. CA's are easy. Include the E Class Cl's since I did them for my boss and they served in the Pacific. :)

Not a huge deal either way, but for purposes of accuracy.

Delta, which version do you have for the Dido class CL? There was a 5 turret (early) version and a 4 turret later version (and several of the 5 turret version were converted to 4 turret later in the war). The only version to see action in the Pacific was the 4 turret version.

In regards to the E-Class cruisers (assuming you are talking Emerald and Enterprise). While they saw extensive service in the IO in the 30's and during the outbreak of the war, they left either right before or right after our scenario opens (May 42) for refit in the home islands. After that, they essentially stayed in the European theater for the rest of the war, so they are not included in the Allied order of battle.

In regards to the E-Class cruisers (assuming you are talking Emerald and Enterprise). While they saw extensive service in the IO in the 30's and during the outbreak of the war, they left either right before or right after our scenario opens (May 42) for refit in the home islands. After that, they essentially stayed in the European theater for the rest of the war, so they are not included in the Allied order of battle.

Enterprise remained in the European theater during the time of your scenario, but Emerald operated in the Indian Ocean from Aug. 43 to Apr. 44. As the RN maintained only a very small fleet in the east until 1944, Emerald's presence there should not be discounted. Even though she was just an old light cruiser. She was more capable than the Japanese light cruisers and the USN Omaha class.

we're having some issues with the Royal Navy and the come-and-go nature of a lot of the ships. so we're having to make some decisions on which ones make it in and which ones don't. of course, we could fudge it all a little, especially with non-capital ships. and we're not averse to adding ones in. we just have to be selective.

USN Fleet Review, Destroyers
clockwise starting at far left: Farragut, Porter, Mahan, Gridley, Sims, Benson, Fletcher, Sumner, Gearing

these gfx are all new by Delta Strife. only one not un-placeholder'ed : Sims; all others brand new and shiny :)

will put him in tonight. thanks :D

have been real busy lately and haven't had a chance to do much. prior to this, we got stuck a little with some of the royal navy ships. but i think we've got it down now. so onward as they say. i just need to locate a handful of remaining british ships for India, Australia, and NZ.

pre-placing all naval assets will be a chore. and we're passively working on that atm. i can still run some things though, at least after all of the units are physically added into the folders etc.

there will not be an extensive build list for RN units. British India will have a few (CLs, DDs, to name a few). Aussies will have a single build iirc. while i would like to see more builds...it is what it is in terms of assets in theater and when (mostly if) they appeared.

there will also be some things i need to look at again like maybe chopping a HP off of all DD units. they sort of get bonuses based off of the multi-role nature of the ships...but my point is that i think they've been just a little too tough in early testing, especially against aircraft. by this i mean that they've withstood a lot (not really all that realistic imo; let's face it - they were pretty vulnerable). so before i run the first real beta test (beta b/c all the assets will be in for the first time), i want to tweak the DDs and maybe look at some of the aircraft defensive values (AA kills have been pretty high in alpha tests, too high imo).

sweet :)

here's what i do not have for them:

British India, c/o the Royal Navy
crown colony class CL - 2 sub-classes: ceylon & fiji; one had 9 guns iirc and the other had 12 i think

G and/or H class DD - we've sort of rolled these 2 classes into 1. i would imagine that the characteristics for both were rather similar. so i don't have a preference for one class or the other :D

P class DD - the next class in line for the British India position

C class DD - there were several different varieties of this class according to the sources. no preference on which one

Illustrious CV

Attacker CVE

T class SS

New Zealand
Leander class CL - have not searched the database for this one yet; it may be there, not sure

Australia
Leander CL - not sure if it's in db or not

Q class DD - not sure if it's there; i would presume that it's not

Bathurst - royal naval classified it as a corvette but in US naval terminology, it's a small destroyer built to perform ASW roles; built in Australia btw

thanks !

ps- i have the following:

Queen Elizabeth BB
Revenge BB
King George V BB
Renown BC
County CA
Town CL
Dido Modified CL

Top Bottom