W-I-P: Storm Over the Pacifc

well, it's not as easy as you say :p i would have to comb through the Units folder and see exactly how old the folders are and check it against the database. not fun :)

@Takhisis
perhaps. visual differentiation is always nice.

i 'fixed' a page or so worth of stuff from my last test run. one of the things i swapped out was the not-so-good image i used for the pacific island 'cities'. now, i set size 1 cities as 'invisible' in the city gfx sheet. so the images that appear in-game are actually a resource (Pacific Islands). i did this to sort of make them smaller (visually) compared to regular cities. before i had the Airbase gfx in there. Vuldacon fixed them for me some, got rif of the pink/magenta pixels i left in there. so he did the best he could with my lame attempts :) anyhow, here's what i have now:

it's a c&p of Vuldacon's Coconuts resource (he created it for AoI as a bonus resource for small islands) and a radar tower from V's 'Variety Resources'. one could make the argument that the radar tower itself could be pushed a little closer to the palm trees :) but i won't complain for now :D

Saipan looks very nice indeed, BUT shouldn´t you have a tiny airstrip on it too ???
After all a Zero is about to be produced and most Japanese fortified islands did have an airstrip. Guadalcanal, Rabaul and similar ....

This is looking like a dream scenario indeed, so keep at it El Justo. You are doing great.:p

thanks guys :) re the city gfx, yes, a case could surely be made to include airfields, even if it's in some small(er) way. i guess i need some gfx that aren't a c&p (mostly my limitations with the gimp).

thanks Delta :)

update:
as is often the case, my silence here in this thread usually means i'm busy working on the files :hammer:

i've been working on the Civilopedia file over the last 10 days or so. now, i'm not getting all of the unit stuff in yet. that's a little more down the line, and not crucial for beta testing. i can do that while in beta (as we did with AoI). instead, i've been putting in the technical data for the improvements and wonders. i always found that it's sort of critical to have the benefits and un-named info for the imp's and wonders while playing a scenario. i mean, we need to know what types of attributes/bonuses that the buildings give us or else it's pretty hard to guess what these buildings will do once built. blame the programmers for not putting this data into the base game :mischief: nonetheless, i'm almost finished with putting in the un-named stuff into each entry. i used the AoI Civilopedia as a template. so each entry will be pretty informative in terms of gameplay. i even added in a bunch of GCON_ links too, just like in AoI. i always thought these add more polish, especially for gameplay.

of course, during the course of constructing the CivP building entries, i came across some bugs in the editor. only a handful, mostly unchecked boxes and a few incorrect tech assignments. fixed :)

Civilopedia work has a secondary benefit for scenario developers in that i can kinda fix or streamline some things when going through in the editor. core strategies for all the different civs sort of crystallize some too. Japan needs to maintain its empire at its zenith. shipping its 'War Materiel' units back to the home islands for VP. attain a certain amount for victory and you win. easier said than done with lots of shipping if this faction wants to 'win'. industrial base is ok but maxed out, pretty much. resources are more of an issue for this civ. in addition, Japan does not have as many 'vet' buildings like the Allies nor do they have the layers of industrial imp's that the US has. the Allies otoh need to check Japanese advances, perform anti-shipping roles, utilize its industrial and technological advantages (US in particular). and most importantly, to win, the Allies need to knock out the Japanese 'king' units which are scattered about the map. Japan can 'knock out' a civ if it kills all of said enemy's 'king' units. however, it will prove to be very difficult as the Allied 'kings' are more sheltered, well insulated within their borders. this isn't the case for the Japanese 'kings'. they're more on the front lines compared to the Allies. i placed Japanese 'kings' all throughout the Pacific and a few in Japan. i pretty much placed them in all locations that the US fought to take from the Japanese. so there are a few spots where strategically i could have placed Japanese 'kings' but did not b/c, for now at least, i want to stick to the script that the US military took in the Pacific. Rabaul, for example, was never taken by the Allies. according to what i've read, it was instead surrounded and cut off from the rest of the Japanese holdings in the solomons and surrounding areas. similarly, places in the C-B-I theater were never 'taken' by the Allies. so no Japanese 'kings' in this theater either. anyway, point is to try to make the US side follow a familiar course from Guadalcanal, up through the Pacific, towards Iwo Jima, and on to the Japanese Home Islands.

next up after i get done the essential CivP work is to check Delta's units and see what i need to update. after that, i upload for beta testing :D

When you write "Gives 1 extra shield per turn" do you mean raises production with 25%?

Look at an unmodded rules setting. The Factory has a value of 2, which equals to a 50% increase in production.

You can't add just a value of one extra shield with a building. I would think that you should probably evaluate your calculations for costs if you go with so much increase in production.

If you assumed that it would only give the city one extra shield and not a 25% increase (which could be much much more than just one shield), then the cities production values would be much higher than you expected, no?

production values are exactly where i envision them whether it's a 25% increase, 50% or whatever. it's the % issue that you are bringing up and it seems that this is the point you are hemming about. any of the notes i put into the civilopedia are what shows in the editor. so if you want to extrapolate the percentage increase then knock yourself out. i'm not. i think i've been doing this long enough to determine whether a certain improvement grants too much production. no ?

I think we misunderstood each other. I read this:
i've been under the impression that it's a flat one (1) extra shield.
As if you thought a building could give +1 shield to its city, but apparently you didn't, so no problem.

Not sure what you mean with the first part. The simple formula is that 1=+25%, so 2=+50%, 3=+75% and so on. As for a formula about building/unit costs that would have to take other stats into account, so I can't give you that.

As for the personal attack I can only say that I wasn't aware that I have a decade long habit of hen-pecking. I just asked you a question, and when I thought you had gotten something wrong (which I now can't figure out whether you did or not) I tried helping you. If that is somehow rude I guess I should apologize?

El Justo I´m very glad about your progress with your new mod. :):clap:

Concerning the civilopedia entries about production boni Yoda Power is correct about the steps in multiples of 25% for each point of additional production in the editor. A production increase of 1 in the editor is an increasement of 25% - and so mostly much more than 1 shield (and so on).

I temporary attache a screenshot of the Civ3ConquestsEdit with the explanation of this part of the C3C editor. Edit: Attachement deleted.

Top Bottom