1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wainy's (Cultural!) Deity LP - Persia

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by w a i n y, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Seriously? This is weird. If it's the case, i understand why w a i n y did that.

But if i really want to put another city from liberty before the free worker, i keep my scout or warrior to clear the fog. The warrior should not have been north and stay west of his cap instead. But in this case, he had to wait until pop 4 from cap anyway.

2. NotSure

NotSure King

This is a good one. I've always preferred the LPs that are posted as they're played as opposed to once victory is assured. You just don't see it with Deity/Immortal players, probably for very good reason. I vote go ahead & reload if you think it's necessary. My only request is to grind it out all the way to the defeat/victory screen.

3. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

@W a i n y

Very good LP so far. I'd suggest you reload too. Even though buying your cultural City State ally was a clever move by the AI, it still isn't a cheat if you reload, since the AI has so much money to buy CS's due to its immense bonuses on Deity.

I also want to ask your opinion about not getting the first two wonders (Stonehenge and Oracle) . I've asked MadDjinn too and waiting for his opinion. Is it still possible to win by turn 300 without these?

Going for other wonders for example like the Great Wall (which gives the same amount of culture per turn as the Oracle) or the Hanging Gardens first. Or not going for any wonders at all and just focus on building temples etc etc. Until you can build the Hagia Sophia.

4. Saltydog

Saltydog Chieftain

I vote do not reload. Everyone faces adversity in their own games. One of the reasons I watch these "Let's Plays" is to see how other people deal with adversity. Also, at the start of the game you were saying you got a lucky start.

5. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Yes.

6. Greatsword

Greatsword Chieftain

I agree, it's far more interesting this way.:goodjob:

7. basta

basta Prince

Yes, I found this very strange too; anyone have any idea why that barb didn't go for the settler, or why the camp didn't spawn another unit? On Deity, barbs are even more agressive, and usually if you hang around a camp 3 turns--often even 2--another barb will spawn.

Enjoyed the first vid and I very much appreciate your laid-back playing style and letting the chips fall where they may.

I'm curious why you went for Stonehenge and not the Oracle, and why you tried for the GL after Stonehenge. TBH if you hadn't announced you were going for culture, you had the perfect start for grabbing the GL and a strong science game--lots of forest to chop, the mines, the river and the mountain, nobody on your back.

Very curious to see how this plays out--and whatever happens, don't reload!

8. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I very much disagree. What's the point of playing a harder difficulty (and learning how to overcome the AI's advantages) if the human player has to cheat or stack the deck in its favor?

9. NotSure

NotSure King

I'm starting to think that bribing wars and befriending neighbors is an absolute necessity at this level. And the sooner, the better. Seems like the gold you spent on the cultural CS gets a low amount of CPT that early in the game. Would the gold have been better spent keeping your neighbors busy?

Do you think if you were able to friend Siam and/or bribe it to fight Rome before you tried for CS alliances that you would have had a more peaceful run towards Education? Rome certainly had the negative diplo modifiers with Siam (war monger, covet lands, competing for a cultural CS). I struggle mightily when I have three nearby neighbors declare on me during the Education run, but then again I struggle with Deity regardless. Just seems like you're in a pretty tight spot now.

10. w a i n y

w a i n y Let's Play Deity!

Not at all: as it stands (at least at the second-last turn of Persia 2) I'm getting nearly half my culture from cultural CS. If I had 3 allied, I'd make exactly half my culture from them. I don't think I'm in much of a tight spot at all, actually, since Germany and Rome are far away and Siam isn't sending much at me either.

11. NotSure

NotSure King

Maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic. I suppose if you can get peace with Siam you're good to go. I'm thinking Siam's probably close to Chivalry, the two CS below you are at war with you, you have one archer and your building a garden and a water mill. Very cool and focused.:cool:

12. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

And just think, many of those in the General Discussion thinks this game is broken and unplayable. I would love to see you lose this game and then analyze why. If you win without reloading, which I expect, then that would be cool too.

13. Arilian

Arilian King

I also think you should have one more worker, even at a cost of getting one of the cultural CS later.
    It is not really a good start for a cultural game, only 2CCS and very agressive neibors

Are you planning to get a 3rd city or you go with 2?

On the vote of reload/not reload, I vote for not reload, and start a new game if you lost it :)

14. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

Thank you for this.
    This may or may not have been based on my request for a cultural LP, but it is exactly what I wanted.

what date have you won cultural at earliest?
    What date do you think this game will end at?

15. vanjito

vanjito Warlord

Reload!

16. RedRover57

RedRover57 Emperor

#5 is great for comic relief. Don't feel bad, we have all been there. :lol:

The map was pretty interesting though.

17. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

@ W a i n y (or anyone who knows)

What exactly is that trick he uses on Persia 3 video on 1:40 to make peace with Bismark? In my game right now (Deity , 8 AI's , 16 CS's, Pangaea) I'm going for a 2 city cultural victory with Siam. I'm doing very good so far, having gotten both the Stonehenge, Oracle, Hagia Sophia, Porcelain Tower, and I'm almost to the Sistine Chapel now.

Except, me and Napoleon have been at war since turn 30 (he declared of course). We are now at turn 132. He still doesn't want to make peace, despite the fact I've killed about 30-40 of his units, and he killed 0. That's right 0. I've tried using that trick of taking the citizens to unemployed status but still nothing. It's the most frustrating aspect of the game in my opinion. What am I supposed to do in a situation like this?

18. JustAnother

JustAnother Chieftain

The trick is to make your gold and gold per turn 0 or as near as 0 as possible because the dumb AI will make peace with you at some point wanting all your gold and open border and resources.

@Wainy
    It seems you are not sure or confused what median is? You said median of 1 and 8 is 4.5? thats totally wrong. A median is the middle number after you sort the list of numbers in order.

19. JustAnother

JustAnother Chieftain

Don't you get a worker back instead of settler even if you take it back?

20. Barth

Barth Chieftain

Yes but if you have an even amount of numbers then the median is the mean of the middle two numbers. So if you have 4 techs that take 1, 1, 8, 8 turns then the median is the mean of 1 and 8.