Wainy's Deity LP - Songhai

Done watching the first 4. Upload more faster:lol:

Looking forward to the rest.

With so many horses close to your capitol do you think it also would have been feasible to try a chariot archer rush? Also, what about the Honor tree instead of Liberty? I realize that bulbing Chivalry with the Liberty tree GS is the goal, but Honor is very tempting with Songhai, particularly since you seemed to have plenty of barbs to deal with early and your upgrades to M. cav are going to cost a lot without the honor policy.

With so many horses close to your capitol do you think it also would have been feasible to try a chariot archer rush? Also, what about the Honor tree instead of Liberty? I realize that bulbing Chivalry with the Liberty tree GS is the goal, but Honor is very tempting with Songhai, particularly since you seemed to have plenty of barbs to deal with early and your upgrades to M. cav are going to cost a lot without the honor policy.

No, they're pretty cheap to upgrade: apparently only 135 now. The benefits of having the second city for free are sufficient in my opinion, and meritocracy fits in with my ultimate ICS strategy.

Nice map. After the previous horrific one you deserve it :)

I'm a bit confused about second city location, though. You could settle 1E or 1W for watermill + sheep or observatory + additional wheat. Does having both luxes in second radius actually worth giving up on one of those?

Thanks and good luck!

True, I could probably have settled 1W, but I wanted to spend as little as possible buying up tiles since I was quite short of cash. In the end I wouldn't have been able to afford upgrades for all the horses I had anyways. I've realized that third-ring tiles take a very long time to get on their own and so they're not really worth considering when making city placement choices. In any case the deer 3 tiles away is just as good as the unirrigated wheat square I'm missing out on. Now if I'd really had some chutzpah I might have taken 1W and then rushed for math for the hanging gardens in that city, to capitalize on the observatory bonus.

I always worry about a close China, since usually they build the GW (looks like they did not do that this time) and they get CKN very fast. The combination of those 2 make conquering them a real pain, so I like to jump on any chance to take them out early. Will be interesting to see what happens in your game.

I always worry about a close China, since usually they build the GW (looks like they did not do that this time) and they get CKN very fast. The combination of those 2 make conquering them a real pain, so I like to jump on any chance to take them out early. Will be interesting to see what happens in your game.

Your prediction is generally accurate, but you'll laugh so hard when you see what actually happens.

Oh, nice.
I just stepped up a difficulty setting (not Deity still, though), and am playing Songhai for the first time, so this will be interesting to watch!

Oh, nice.
I just stepped up a difficulty setting (not Deity still, though), and am playing Songhai for the first time, so this will be interesting to watch!

Using snarzberry's general strategy, you should have no problem steamrolling several AIs with manducavs. I tried it on Emperor and managed to take Greece down to one minor city in 5 turns (it helps that AI expansion is slowed significantly below deity).

Hi Wainy

I used to do the trading trick: when I am about to lose the single resource I have on the next turn to barb, I sell the resources to AI. In your case, two horses and one gold could give you 330. And I don't think there is any diplomatic penalty for doing that. :lol: But this only works when you have no extra resources available, for example, if you hook up the other two horses (which you haven't) then the deal is still on.

Hi Wainy

I used to do the trading trick: when I am about to lose the single resource I have on the next turn to barb, I sell the resources to AI. In your case, two horses and one gold could give you 330. And I don't think there is any diplomatic penalty for doing that. :lol: But this only works when you have no extra resources available, for example, if you hook up the other two horses (which you haven't) then the deal is still on.

Yes, and I'm sure if I wanted to I could sell all my GPT to an AI in exchange for gold and then declare war, or any number of other tricks. But they're all exploits with no cost attached, which makes them unfair. At least if you steal a worker from a city-state, for example, you can't easily ally with the city-state for another 60 turns.

Your prediction is generally accurate, but you'll laugh so hard when you see what actually happens.

Let me guess - multiple DoWs incoming. Alex for sure, probably within 10 turns. I've never known Alex to plant a city that close and not DoW. And both Egypt and the Danes are looking mighty aggressive.

At the end of video nr 4 it looks to me Greece is standing between the Mandekalu cavalry and the juicy egiptian cities ...

Can we have this starting save please?
I expect honor start and active barb hunt should be better, and would like to try it.

Thank You!

Could you please explain me, why didnt you want to get a promo for that chariot archer? I didn't understand you coz of my bad English. :)

Thx!

Could you please explain me, why didnt you want to get a promo for that chariot archer? I didn't understand you coz of my bad English. :)

Thx!

Because chariot archers are ranged units and get ranged promotions. Mandekalu cavalry are melee units so the ranged upgrade would've been a waste...

It was funny he stopped attacking the Germans with that chariot archer but was using it latter to hunt down barbs. Fortunately all barbs were gone .. He did remember to check the experience level later when fighting Alexander though ...

==========

@w a i n y do you have a problem noticing the color RED ? City x is Starving ...
You do notice when you lose population due to starvation - the second time I thought you decided there was enough food in the food bucket to last until the granary was done - turns out you ignored that the city was starving for a couple of turns :confused: and reacted only when the granary was 1 turn away ...

=========

Anyway looking forward for the next videos ... :goodjob:

Oh, thanks!

So there should be some universal promotions for all types of units, just like Combat I, II.. in Civ4..

Let me guess - multiple DoWs incoming. Alex for sure, probably within 10 turns. I've never known Alex to plant a city that close and not DoW. And both Egypt and the Danes are looking mighty aggressive.

Spoiler :
Well, close. The funniest part, though, is that China attacked, and continues to attack, with NO CHU-KO-NUS! Just pikemen and archers. The funny thing is that I'm sure they could have teched it by then, and it would have allowed them to take my capital unless I took back a substantial part of my cav force.

At the end of video nr 4 it looks to me Greece is standing between the Mandekalu cavalry and the juicy egiptian cities ...

Well remember that Egypt built the Great Wall, and after my fiasco with Babylon (the original) and the GW I'm not too eager to launch a fulll-scale invasion. I'll just take the city near my capital and leave it at that, probably.

Can we have this starting save please?
I expect honor start and active barb hunt should be better, and would like to try it.

I've attached the turn 0 autosave, the best I could do. I really don't think honour start is better though, you won't get to chivalry nearly as fast.

It was funny he stopped attacking the Germans with that chariot archer but was using it latter to hunt down barbs. Fortunately all barbs were gone .. He did remember to check the experience level later when fighting Alexander though ...

Okay true, you got me there.

@w a i n y do you have a problem noticing the color RED ? City x is Starving ...
You do notice when you lose population due to starvation - the second time I thought you decided there was enough food in the food bucket to last until the granary was done - turns out you ignored that the city was starving for a couple of turns :confused: and reacted only when the granary was 1 turn away ...

No, that was deliberate, it's good strategy to starve your city (not to the point of losing pop of course) for more production sometimes. This is especially good when the alternative is being unhappy with a slight surplus of food, which would get mostly wasted. The first time, when I actually starved, though, was because of the governor reassigning tiles badly when I was unhappy. I did have a turn of warning, but I tend to ignore the red because I starve cities deliberately so often.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    605.8 KB · Views: 66
Watching the 5th atm, very nice gameplay.
Just have a little question, I'm new to the game and all, and I noticed you count sometimes the tiles from where your future city will be to your capital, why is that?
I see many other people do that...

Watching the 5th atm, very nice gameplay.
Just have a little question, I'm new to the game and all, and I noticed you count sometimes the tiles from where your future city will be to your capital, why is that?
I see many other people do that...

Each City has to be at least 4 tiles away from each other. Since after he plans to attack and puppet an empire or 2 He plans on building other cities on those sites to make use of all the available land for as many cities as he can make.

Top Bottom