Wainy's Deity LP - Songhai

Is there any chance that you could try a Deity game using the unofficial patch/vanilla-enhanced mod? I'm beginning to think that the only hope for Civ5 is heavy modding. There are just too many ways to game the stupid AI in vanilla. I have never tried this mod and would really like to see it in action in a Deity game.

The only other option would be to play a vanilla game with self-imposed restrictions. For example, no selling cities back to the AI, no saving multiple GS (use them as they are created), no selling lux (only trading one for one) or open borders, etc. Civ was always supposed to be about building an empire. It is unfortunate that the current "best" way to win is to NOT build an empire, but instead to sell off conquests for cash and snipe capitals in order to skirt potential issues with unhappiness (and finish much earlier).

RR57: I tried playing without selling lux's, but aside from the treasury issues, the AI is very reluctant to trade even a third copy of a luxury. I think if they fixed this, then each AI would have less money to buy lux's from the player because they'd be selling/trading for unique luxuries from each other.

Wainy: I know a ton of people would love to see Denmark/Archipelago. I'd be interested to see how few settled cities you could get and how wide of an empire you could still achieve.

Is there any chance that you could try a Deity game using the unofficial patch/vanilla-enhanced mod? I'm beginning to think that the only hope for Civ5 is heavy modding. There are just too many ways to game the stupid AI in vanilla. I have never tried this mod and would really like to see it in action in a Deity game.

The only other option would be to play a vanilla game with self-imposed restrictions. For example, no selling cities back to the AI, no saving multiple GS (use them as they are created), no selling lux (only trading one for one) or open borders, etc. Civ was always supposed to be about building an empire. It is unfortunate that the current "best" way to win is to NOT build an empire, but instead to sell off conquests for cash and snipe capitals in order to skirt potential issues with unhappiness (and finish much earlier).

I actually prefer to "game the system" and optimize my finish date as much as possible. It's just my preferred playstyle. I will be making it harder for myself in terms of picking bad starts, generic civs, etc. in the future.

Wainy: I know a ton of people would love to see Denmark/Archipelago. I'd be interested to see how few settled cities you could get and how wide of an empire you could still achieve.

I'll definitely do this in one of the next few LPs. I don't think it would be that remarkable to conquer from even a single-city base, though: I almost did this in the Songhai game, since the 2 additional cities I settled were much less productive than Hanging-Gardens-fuelled Gao.

Would a deity game still be winnable with all(any?) civs after you shoot yourself in the foot so many times ?

Would a deity game still be winnable with all(any?) civs after you shoot yourself in the foot so many times ?

Not likely. You would need to restrict it to one or 2 conditions like I tried in the Deity Challenge series. For example, Challenge 2 was playing Aztecs on a lakes map with raging barbs and the requirement to fill the Honor tree first. Challenge 3 was playing Persia on a standard pangaea and the challenge was to not use the Liberty tree at all and not DoW anyone the entire game (obviously you could fight back when attacked). When I play with even more restrictions I drop the difficulty to Immortal or Emperor since Deity requires gaming the system to large extent.

I just find standard Deity warmongering games to get old quickly since they always have the same basic strategy. I'd rather watch them than play them (mostly due to the commentary that keeps it interesting).

sorry, replied in th wrong thread :blush:

I enjoyed the VoD so far, especially the background information about decision making

Is there any chance someone could link me to the original Vanilla Enhanced thread?

I've been away from Civ for a few months so this is all new to me, and I'm having problems finding it in the forums.

Thanks!

I also found that Diety war games take forever. When trying to get some of the achievements I played lvl 2 or 3 and was amazed how much faster the game processed turns since there wasn't a million units all over the map.

Hi Wainy,
I checked your channel and have a friendly (ahem... selfish) suggestion. :)
Considering MadDjinn just finished cultural OCC maybe you indeed should give this torture up. How about practicing tall empire and early scientific victory? I don't think I've seen such LP at all.

I'm actually going to do a small-empire cultural victory, since a number of people have requested it on the channel. Persia has also been requested by quite a few people.

Fantastic videos Wainy

I now have some idea as to how to play the game on higher levels. I'm playing a game now on the great plains, I've got my 8 Man Cavs. Immediately took over Indias 2 cities. Built two more on lux tiles. I was preparing to use about 12 man cavs to take over Egypts 1 city, when Siam and its 10 city states took me to war. While I had 4 city states, how do I take up this challenge. Also noting that Mongolia is as strong as I militarlily and about to meet and does indeed later on declare war. At that point I have the two largest powers onto me without peace an option.

I'm kinda in the middle of about 10 city states. Info Addict says Siam is about 140000, I'm about 85k. I've tried attacking the nearest Siam city, but its like a 36D city.

I've retried this game so many times. How should I do it?

Attachments

• Askia_0221 AD-0715.Civ5Save
    913.3 KB · Views: 65
Top Bottom