1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Wainy's Let's Play Deity - The Generic Conquest Victory

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by w a i n y, Oct 23, 2011.

1. w a i n y

w a i n y Let's Play Deity!

A worker, perhaps, but I really wanted to get my great scientist production up. That's what gets you the last few key military techs at the end of the game. And I have to check about the RAs I have, but I would definitely wait for one to finish before declaring war.

That's good to hear. Maybe I'll keep doing this format in the future, after all.

2. omgsrsly

omgsrsly Chieftain

A worker, perhaps, but I really wanted to get my great scientist production up. That's what gets you the last few key military techs at the end of the game

yeah idk then you should probably just work on maximizing GS points in your cap then no [via building a garden instead of catapults]?

i dont want to be a dick but it does often feel to me like you stop expanding too quickly in all your games even in cases where you aren't particularly limited by land or happiness or production. the two and done thing seems to be your standard approach but aside from the circus it felt like most the builds in your 2nd city have been marginal at best. you could have gone circus - settler - catapult maybe instead? ill relook at your cities and run the #s but i think that over even 50 turns you'd do better with at least a third city in turns of science/gold per turn

3. w a i n y

It's possible. If there were a good 3rd city I might go for it, but the site up north with the marble is marginal at best, and I don't remember another even half-decent one. The 1st and 2nd city locations are definitely the best by far. Also, early military is better than extra science, especially since the garden might not even net an extra GS over the course of the game.
    I guess I'll settle the 3rd city up north and annex a few other ones to max out GS production. Breadth (more cities) is better than depth (+%modifiers like garden) anyways.

4. trueblue

trueblue Chieftain

you dont need another city.

id have milked the aztecs for more xp.

was notre dame not still available for the GE? ill find out.

video four now. wainey gives you that wee rationalism boost in video length over maddjin.

5. w a i n y

Wait, what?

6. trueblue

trueblue Chieftain

MadDjinn: 30min'ish
    Wainey: 45min'ish

;)

7. w a i n y

What does that have to do with rationalism?

8. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Chieftain

Hey wainy, just wanted to say thank you for these videos, and I agree with memorex -- screw the detractors. You are doing a great job and a great service to the community. I know I'm not the only one whose game you have improved. It's the little things I pick up on first - you have no idea how much time you saved me when I realized you don't have to type in '50' every time for open borders sales, you can just press 'what will make this deal work'. This alone is worth the price of admission for me ;). I would never have figured that out on my own.

Keep up the amazing work!

9. w a i n y

Now if they would just fix the diplomacy screen to make this kind of thing automatic...

:wallbash:

... but that's another story.

10. trueblue

trueblue Chieftain

its a fifty percent boost...

this is why i watched the other guys vid! ;)

11. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

upload times for me seem to get goofy past 30 min video limits. Primarily, I think it's more about going over the 1Gb/upload threshold than video length.

Plus I used to use DivX converter, which refused to work properly over 30min.

12. gau88

gau88 Chieftain

So are we going to see a MadDjinn vs. Wainy match anytime in the future? ;) You each can upload your respective vids when finished.

... and thanks to both of you for doing what you do! The vids have helped me improve my play greatly!

13. Trystero

Trystero Chieftain

I'll just chip in as another voice (and subscriber to your YouTube channel) with a vote for keeping the current format. I quite enjoy your commentary.

14. Trik

Trik Chieftain

I would love to see Wainy and Maddjinn play the same save file, it would be interesting to see how each of them differ in there gameplay.

Also Wainy stop losing your early game units, its the reason why you keep getting that early DoW.

15. w a i n y

This is not a bad idea, actually.

I doubt it - the AI is notoriously trigger-happy regardless, and I could never have enough units to match them in strength early-game, which would be a way to dissuade them from declaring.

16. w a i n y

Bump.
    The next two videos are up! Anyone for some assisted conquest?

17. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Chieftain

Could you explain something to me in you're video you conquered a city state as result ghandi and darius became mad at you ghandi called you a warmonger

then you declared war on montezuma and a few turs later declared a second time against greece

Throughought the hole walkthrough paceputie has been friendly the hole time(and decleration of friendship) and not all calling you a warmonger menace of the world.

Could you explain why you dont get the negatif modifier warmongering menace of the world with the inca's ?

I mean you destroyed a city state, you declared war twice so obiously you should get it but inca's obiously dont care about how come want to know i never had this i even had ghenghis kagn beeing a jurk because i was a warmonger

18. w a i n y

He will show later as not liking my warmongering, but for now he's still friendly (for whatever reason) and so he's not showing this yet.

I think that you do still get the same warmongerer penalty if you declare on a hated civ, but you also get a relationship boost for being mutually at war with the same civ and for both denouncing the same civ, so it should balance out. Of course warmonger hate keeps on getting worse for the whole game, while the other two are transient.

19. snarzberry

snarzberry Chieftain

The declaration of friendship effectively drowns out the warmonger hate. The DoF bonus is really large and when you have them you can do a lot of warmongering and your DoF partners will usually let you get away with it unless there are a bunch of other negative modifiers that overcome the DoF. Have you ever had a game where you're 'Friend' switches in one turn from 'friendly' to 'hostile' denounces you and calls you a warmonger? Check the log, the DoF just expired and it's bonus is no longer covering the other negative modifiers so now your former friend hates you like everyone else. What does that teach us? DoF's are valuable if you want to maintain some trading/RA partners while you go to war.

20. w a i n y

It was odd, though. The bonus from the DoF lasted past the time when the DoF actually ended. I'm starting to wonder whether the bonus actually still lasts 50 turns even though the DoF itself only lasts 30.