Wainy's Let's Play Deity - The Generic Conquest Victory

One question, really for anyone here... playing currently as Mongolia and had Monty next to me. Of course, he DOW, but I got Keshiks about 8 turns later and ended up wiping the floor with him. Now the world hates me because I destroyed someone who DOW on me... is there any way to avoid that? I haven't gotten to that part of your video and won't be able to for a few days, so I'd appreciate any help.

even if you leave one city alive and get a peace deal, i think you still get a minor diplo hit for concluding the war. (can anybody confirm this?) that is: the other AIs don't think of you as having conducted a war until it ends -- either by wiping the opponent off the map (bigger diplo hit) or making a peace deal. notice that you don't get "...the other leaders are starting to notice your aggression..." messages until after the war that bugs them ends.

i usually just stay at war until A) i can get an allied city state to finish them off or B) i can bribe another civ to finish them. this also prevents the almost automatic denouncement you get after you kick someone's butt and get a favorable peace deal. in the meantime, you can use the 1-city-civ to farm XP.

right, but i'm talking about an additional hit, even if you make peace instead of killing off the civ. it always seems like when a war ends, people inclined to get angry at you for warmongering or warring against a friend get madder. maybe i'm imagining things.

regardless - prolonging the war until someone else takes out the last city prevents you from taking a denouncement.

Fwiw, in my current modded game, I had Spain declare on me (I expanded near them the CBed a couple juicy tiles from our joint borders). I beat on them a little, then took a cheap peace deal. They DOWed again, peace, DOW, peace. Each time I took a load of gold, resources and a city. Now they're down to one city. The interesting thing is that until a couple turns ago it said "You were at war in the past but they don't seem to hold a grudge", and they were friendly. Now it's changed (see pic), but the whole time only two other Civs considered me a warmonger, and one of those doesn't anymore, and says they want to be friends 'because of my financial might' or something.

Spoiler :

Fwiw, in my current modded game, I had Spain declare on me (I expanded near them the CBed a couple juicy tiles from our joint borders). I beat on them a little, then took a cheap peace deal. They DOWed again, peace, DOW, peace. Each time I took a load of gold, resources and a city. Now they're down to one city. The interesting thing is that until a couple turns ago it said "You were at war in the past but they don't seem to hold a grudge", and they were friendly. Now it's changed (see pic), but the whole time only two other Civs considered me a warmonger, and one of those doesn't anymore, and says they want to be friends 'because of my financial might' or something.

What's the lesson here?

It's finally all up! (though you may not see the last one for another half-hour or so)
As promised, here is the ending save. I thought it might be more interesting to include the save from exactly 10 turns before, based on jvidmaar's comment on the Youtube channel (go look it up, I won't spoil things here). So here you go. It should be an interesting "sandbox"-type game in any event.

Attachments

• 0ldAutoSave_0266 AD-1780.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
Surprise! Based on jvidmaar's suggestion, I went back to the autosave I attached above and tried to go for a conquest victory before the UN bell tolled. The results are - well, spectacular, but not due to any great skill on my behalf! I hope this helps illustrate how broken modern-era combat currently is.

Mat I suggest attaching your beginning saves?
I am sure people would like to compare their games to yours.
If they are as good at this game or explaining it as you are (there aren't many civers that are), we might have a few future LP makers!

Wainy, new to civ 5 for about a week now. Using your version of the bowman rush in LP bablyon and bab2lon after studying them for hours I was able to beat all but deity level. Bowman are expensive now and I am also struggling with quickly pumping out units. If the bowman rush from before is no longer viable, I'm trying to learn about the other strategies to employ for babylon conquest victories.

I started watching your Ottoman generic videos and I've learned a lot. Any tips on altering of your bab2lon strategy that might make it more affective for me? I'm toying with the idea that unless I can get an early city capture, I should plan differently.

Thanks,

-Omni

Top Bottom