1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wainy's Let's Play Deity - The Stealth Bomber (and GL Iron Working) Rush

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by w a i n y, Jan 8, 2012.

1. w a i n y

w a i n y Let's Play Deity!

I know I've left you waiting far too long, but here it is, at last. We're going to rush for stealth as quickly as possible - excluding some rather unusual early warmongering.

First video: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wainyciv#p/a/u/0/RNIIcr_8ZJs

The Great Library iron rush is arguably just as good a use of the GL as the Philosophy -> National College rush, if you're planning on doing some very early warmongering.

Tech order: Pottery - Writing - (possibly one tech of your choice, likely AH or calendar or masonry, if you have time) - Mining (flip for masonry) - Bronze Working - Free Iron Working.

Policy order: Liberty - Settler - Free production (if still building GL, which you likely will be - will save you a turn) - Worker - Representation - Meritocracy

Build order: Warrior - Monument - Granary (may interrupt for GL depending on whether you'll be able to recoup the turns of production lost by finishing it, for instance through growing faster or reassigning citizens to higher-production tiles without starving) - GL - (Library, if GL fails, so you still get IW somewhat quickly) - Warrior spam - (Water mill?) - National college

Second city build order: Warrior spam - Library

Steal a worker from a city-state around turn 20, when they come out. Check and see which city-states are protected in advance, by clicking the declare war button for each one (don't declare war obviously).

Don't settle your free second city too close to an AI, except maybe Gandhi. Defending it early on is not pretty. I've learned this lesson far too many times.

If you are attacked early (<30), rushbuy a couple of warriors. If you are attacked slightly later, you'll likely have a few anyways, but rushbuy more as needed. Archers are an unnecessary luxury.

Speaking of luxuries: sell enough to have ~500 gold by the time iron working rolls around, or slightly afterwards (you do have to improve the iron mines after all). Upgrading 6 swords (a common number, assuming a 6-iron deposit or 3 2-iron ones) costs 80 x 6 = 480 gold. If you're short on iron, get a couple of spearmen. If you're really short on iron - well, I won't spoil anything, but watch the video :lol: Always remember to check to see if the AI has iron, even though this is not a cheap proposition (45 gold per unit, for 30 turns).

Your target, on deity, should be one or two good (operative word) non-capital cities. You likely won't be able to take the capital with just swords (but maybe with legions). You only want to cripple your first opponent, and get some juicy terrain and a few workers. Don't be afraid to take large losses if you think you will be able to take one more city.

On any lower level, you're laughing. Take a capital. Heck, take two! Carve out a nice empire for yourself. Of course, up to immortal you can fairly consistently take a capital with a generic archer rush, so take your pick of strategies. (note: soronery has shown a good guide to an 8-archer rush on deity here, but my experience has been that it's a crap shoot unless you're Babylon)

It's almost mandatory to go for swords (or some other form of early-ish conquest) in a deity game since you don't have enough breathing room otherwise, with everyone expanding so quickly. Traditionally the free liberty settler is placed on top of a 6-iron mine, but I find you can generally scrape together enough iron from near the two cities you do settle, plus buying a few (America is great for buying up iron tiles). It's fairly rare that you'll get 6 iron in a defensible, productive city location, and not really worth delaying your second city until IW for.

Snarzberry has done an excellent overview of the Stealth Bomber rush here. There's not much more to say about that part of it. Stealth bombers own.

P.S. I'm posting this in the strategy and tips forum because I'd like to discuss the merits of the GL iron rush, i.e. specific build, tech and policy orders but also general effectiveness compared to, say, founding 2nd city on an iron deposit, archer rush, etc. Feel free to discuss the particulars of this game as well, if you'd like.

2. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Looking forward to viewing this. I have been playing Skyrim instead of Civ5 lately so it'll be good to watch someone else play for a while.

3. Soronery

Soronery Prince

Did you throw a party after you captured that city?

4. w a i n y

:D
    It was worth celebrating.

5. JeanBaptiste

JeanBaptiste Warlord

Cool, new vid! Got to say I loved that insane a la AI kamikaze rush. Have to try that with the Japanese. Should work well with their UA.

Have you played most of the game or will you play/upload as you go?

Thanks for giving us these LP´s!

6. w a i n y

I'm playing as I go. So far I've done one more video, which will be uploaded overnight.

7. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Going straight through Iron working reduce bad luck of missing the GL. But if you can catch the GL, it's pretty nice for sure. At standard speed, the best time to attack with 4-6 swords with maybe 1 or 2 archers if you catch a ruin with a scout or get archery for free is approximatively between turn 40 and 45. After turn 50-55, some civs may be too hard to get through.

But it's nice to see that you now ''trust'' the swordmen rush at Deity :)

8. w a i n y

Lol. I can't say I'm totally okay with it, though. It's very luck-dependent on getting iron,
    Spoiler :
    unless you rushbuy a ton of spearmen and steal cash from AIs for lux like I did :lol:
    Still, it's one of the best early strategies for deity, mainly because there really aren't any consistently effective deity early rush strategies. Or would you disagree?

9. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

mmhh...shouldn't this thread be in the S&LP section?

10. Monthar

Monthar Deity

Nice job taking that city. However, it was kind of hard to understand what you were saying because of mic distortion. I think you may have your mic boost turned up too much.

11. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

Tried the most recent video and that was horrible... seriously, what happened to your sound? Wah :D

Then I tried what the first post advertises (Babylon) and that was really nice. Good job (and good sound) :goodjob:
    Might watch some others now too.

12. w a i n y

In the video description, I've mentioned that the mic boost was automatically reset for some reason, as has happened before. It's not fixable for this video but I've already corrected it for future ones. If anyone knows why this reset keeps occurring, feel free to PM me.

My intention was to make this primarily a discussion about the GL sword rush strategy, which hasn't got much press in the strategy forums (I've heard it mentioned once or twice and that's about it). If I may be so presumptuous, could we steer the discussion in that direction?

13. rrhal

rrhal Warlord

I'm curious, why do you warrior spam instead of building a scout or 2 first?

14. Monthar

Monthar Deity

I believe the point of warrior spamming instead of building scouts is to have at least 6 of them as earlier as possible to upgrade them to swords if you get lucky with a single 6 iron or several 2 iron deposits.

15. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

I think it's really strong when it works out, but it comes with an if and a maybe.

16. w a i n y

Well, as you've seen from this one, you need every unit you can get for an early rush. Plus scouts are very weak against barbs, occasionally dying in one hit from a warrior.

This too.

Of course, but I don't think it's less reliable than a longsword rush or archer rush. You're probably going to get a city if you do it right, even without luck.

17. Treso

Treso Warlord

I like the first part of the series.

Why didnt rushed buy a settler and built a city in that 2 iron deposit?, it would allow you upgrade too more warriors to swords and get fewer losses.

Waiting for the other parts of the series :)

About the discussion, I like the Tabanark 4 city iron rush. I usually skip the GL and go to Hagia Sophia wonder after conquer or cripple a nearby civ.

18. Monthar

Monthar Deity

I just finished watching the 2nd session. When you were having trouble finding something for the workers to do, why didn't you buy the tile with the incense that's in the 3rd ring next to the stone and other incense you have? That would have given you 1 more to trade when you found the other civs.

19. tvongaza

tvongaza Chieftain

Also with regards to the workers out of work, why not rush buy your settler to settle? You could have had every tile in the new city already up and running.

20. RedRover57

RedRover57 Emperor

He wanted to build the NC first. Also, that would have been a huge waste of cash since he can build a settler in 2 turns.