Wait 20 Turns Until You Win Is Boring

gamemaster3000

Warlord
The peaceful victories could use some jazzing up. Just brainstorming, I think Harmony in particular would be more interesting if the Mind Flower started a countdown to some massive boss (possibly named "Avatar of Planet's Resistance") and then defeating it was how you won. The same could be said for the Supremacy victory, where maybe the Earthlings threw something back at you through the Exodus gate so you had to maintain an army on your side as well.

The contact victory also seems pretty easy to do. I haven't found a piece of the signal in a ruins yet, but wouldn't it be trivial to win if you did? You need one very early tech and then build a few wonders and you're done.

I also think the contact victory would be more interesting if powering up the beacon reduced your city's strengths by like half or two-thirds and took city bombardments offline. At least that way there would be a chance an opponent could make it to your beacon (i.e. capital) in 20 turns. Or if it was more of an economic victory and there was a (configurable at game start) amount of energy you had to pump into the beacon before you won.

It would also be cool gameplay if there were ways to directly interfere with your opponent's win conditions, such as two supremacy players fighting each other through the gate.

I would also like to see a victory that required completing the tech web, I want to build all the cool buildings!!!

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

Way too much micro for some of them (settlers, of course). They could all be made to just put a world wonder on the map and give the other players 20 turns to destroy it. That'd actually be an improvement... KISS

I like the idea behind this mod:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=338538736&searchtext=war

Everyone declares war on you as soon as you build the wonder so you need to fend off attacks from everywhere while you wait for the countdown.
Unfortunately this mod still has problems.

If there were a way to link it to difficulty level, that would be nice; i.e. the hardest difficulty has 100% chance, while lower difficulties don't eradicate you for trying to win.

The contact victory also seems pretty easy to do. I haven't found a piece of the signal in a ruins yet, but wouldn't it be trivial to win if you did? You need one very early tech and then build a few wonders and you're done.

I've lost on Gemini pre t200 from what I presume was the AI finding a signal fragment from ruins, urgh.

Someone on these boards got both signal fragments from progenitor ruins and won on t135. I've actually gotten both fragments from ruins as well, but didn't even notice until I was about to get another victory.:wallbash:

I like the idea behind this mod:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=338538736&searchtext=war

Everyone declares war on you as soon as you build the wonder so you need to fend off attacks from everywhere while you wait for the countdown.
Unfortunately this mod still has problems.

It might make more sense thematically if only those with an opposing affinity automatically declared war. It would still be a challenge. Unless you did the 1 turn mindflower.

The countdown is mainly to give the player a chance to interfere with an AI that's about to win. It serves no other purpose that I can think of. Ergo, the problem isn't to make the win condition more interesting - it's to make it more transparent and entertaining for the player to thwart. Resolving the AI win side satisfactorily while also ensuring a good experience on the player side is the challenge.

The countdown is mainly to give the player a chance to interfere with an AI that's about to win. It serves no other purpose that I can think of. Ergo, the problem isn't to make the win condition more interesting - it's to make it more transparent and entertaining for the player to thwart. Resolving the AI win side satisfactorily while also ensuring a good experience on the player side is the challenge.
That's one of the reasons why I suggested tying the win conditions to terrain (preferably with a big visible counter). That way, building up for the win is a more gradual process that can be interfered with.

"Everyone declares war on you as soon as you build the wonder"

OK, I play with two friends. One player builds the wonder. Other two declare war automatically.

Then what?

I think the purity win condition would also be a lot more interesting if earthlings could only settle on plains or grassland and not within 4 or even 5 tiles of another city. If the map is full that would cause things to get VERY bloody as players need to raze their opponent's cities to make room for their earthlings.

As it is now you just stick them in the snow where you didn't have cities anyway.

I really like the large battle at the end of both supremacy and harmony!

For the purity, you could have to build terascape-like improvments for the humans to live in. That way, by the end you are in large debt.

Top Bottom