..waiting for other players

Draknith

King
I have been having a problem lately with my Civ IV BTS games. For roughly the last three games I have been playing, once I reach the industrial age and have a technology level around rifling my game stops working. I will reach the end of the turn, and when I hit <enter> the globe starts spinning like normal and the message at the bottom reads "waiting for other players" like normal, but the turn never rolls over. I left it running last night just to see if the computer needed a little extra time. There might have been a large scale war developing or something along those lines. After 6 hours of waiting (i went to bed) the turn never rolled over.

I am playing a huge 15 player terra map. I have a AMD 3200 XP CPU, 1 gig of 400 FSB RAM, a GeForce 5700 Ulta GPU, and plenty of HDD space.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if they did, what was their fix. Thanks everyone.

This is a known problem in the later stages of the game for a lot of people, and I'm not sure the cause has quite been pinned down. Solver's unofficial patch fixes some, but not all of the "waiting for civilizations" problems, so that would be worth trying.

It's in this thread.

It's odd that with a machine with those stats would have so much trouble in only the Industrial era (especially around rifling). Solvers patch is a good place to start. My next stop would be getting another gig of ram.

EDIT: Make sure you don't install the 3.03 patch over Solver's, as it will nullify Solver's changes.

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that others are having this problem. It's strange because it's only been occuring within my last few games. I'll download solver's patch, and probably patch with 3.02. I have heard that 3.03 is not worth it yet. Is this still the general consensus?

It happened to me today for the first time, and it looks like I won't be able to finish the game (and I am on my way to my first BtS Domination Victory),
I can reload and it always happensagain. While "waiting I can even open advisor and city screens and save the game...
First thought it has something to do with my OS ( Vista 64-bit).

It's odd that with a machine with those stats would have so much trouble in only the Industrial era (especially around rifling). Solvers patch is a good place to start. My next stop would be getting another gig of ram.

EDIT: Make sure you don't install the 3.03 patch over Solver's, as it will nullify Solver's changes.

I had this problem myself, and I'm pretty sure it's not a RAM thing, it's some sort of bug, since you can still do all sorts of stuff (including changing civics etc) but your own turn never actually starts. I had to get around it by reloading a save a fair way back and doing things a fair bit differently, and after that point it was fine, even though there were even more units etc around.

Good Samaritan: I'm on XP and I had the same problem, so it's probably not the OS either.

I just wanted to say thanks. I went ahead and installed Solver's Patch, and everything has been working great since then. Now with the second great schism in the Christian church ending, I can concentrate on expanding the empire into the new world.

Also, are the other files in Solver's Patch modified files, or just utilities to mod current files?

Top Bottom