Waiting for What?

jarhead_leif

Civ2ToT Modder
Hi! This'll be my first post here in civ5. There is somethin` I just want to ask. :)

It's more than 2yrs since the first release of the long-awaited [civ5]. Millions of copies have been sold through out the world. Few months have past, many were disappointed. Others came back to [civ4], others always waiting for patches, and other modders modded/improved the game hoping to make it better, only tougher.
Then this year, [GandK] came out. As expected, there are many new great things that changes the game. And DLCs, ofc.

Now, are still waiting for something? Does the game need more fixes? New mods? Expansion? DLC? Patch? or Civ6?

Merry Christmas. :xmascheers:

I hated Civ 5 when it first came out. I feel like the developers really took some huge leaps backwards as far as some basic annoyances and ease of information for the player, and overall they simply made an inferior game with a laggy UI, ineffectual AI, and enforced war-mongering.

I could honestly forgive the last bit, especially since they introduced a lot of cool new changes that really breathe fresh life into the Civ franchise. I enjoy how tactical combat is now with the hexes, and one-unit-per-hex.

G&K really fixed up the game. (I seriously never put much time into vanilla, maybe 50-100 hours and then I stopped. I had something obscene, easily over 2,500 hours into Civ4, as comparison.) But I love the new espionage system, infinitely better than Civ4's micromanagement borefest... I really like the concept of city-states and their refinement in G&K. I like how units now are a bit more durable, really makes for some interesting gameplay.

At this point, I'd really like an expansion that just further rounds out the rough edges of the game. More information in the hands of the player, a more robust AI at higher difficulty levels (and of course a correlated easing of the "gimme" AI advantages), throw in a couple of new civs and we got ourselves a mini-expansion!

Edit: Actually, after thinking about it a hot sec, I'm really hopeful that they'll just go ahead with Civ6. I think that Civ5 G&K is as good as they can make it given the engine. The AI is shoddy, the underlying code to the whole game is pretty shakey, and when Firaxis (it is still Firaxis, right?) decides to invest some more cash in the Civ franchise I genuinely hope it is to build on the solid concepts that both 4 & 5 brought to the table.

Combine Civ4 BTS's rock solid UI, decent AI, and wealth of easily accessible information with Civ5's revolutionary strategic combat, city-states, and overall streamlining of the worst bits of micromanagement. Let's keep working on the road situation though, surely there's a better solution than to punish the player for having some infrastructure!

I agree with ' Warlord ' on the the ground work on the game . It could of been better . I still played it a lot when I first got it . But I quit . Then came back right before G & K . G & K saved Civ 5 !!! I love it and will be happy for a long time with it . At least a year with minor improvedments here and there and a couple of medium sized carrots . then I will be looking for Civ 6 soon after .

I started Civ 5 last year after never playing a Civ game, so I avoided some of the major issues. It was fine, but the game was drastically enhanced when G&K came out - I can't even play vanilla anymore! While I can't compare it to any other Civ game, I will say that just in the time I've had the game, it's gotten much better. I've got a few of my friends hooked on it and they've dumped all kinds of time into as well!

The G&K expansion was needed IMO to fix some oddities about the game, plus it felt weird having a world with no religion. The patches have improved a lot of aspects of the game as well. The DLC has been cool to add some new faces to beat and some annoyingly excluded wonders.

Overall, this is easily my favorite game I've played in a long time and one of my top games ever played.

If you're still on the sidelines waiting, you're just cheating yourself. Dive in. Thank me later.

The game itself is balling. Multiplayer still needs some attention, though, and it would be nice to see an expansion with an unexpected mechanical direction - much as I like new-Religion and new-Espionage, they were series regulars, and I'd like to see Firaxis come up with some new direction for Civ. Other than that? Just DLC.

I don't think a lot of people are waiting for anything. There are many who like Civ 5, especially since G&K. Then there are also many who greatly dislike the direction in which Civ 5 has gone and have given up on the game. I won't go into the reasons, since they have been discussed ever so often. But no patches, fixes or expansions will ever make the game enjoyable for this group which unfortunately I belong to as well.

After playing the game, many of us (the latter group), having started with Civ 1 and sunk ridiculous amounts of hours into each of the different iterations, felt a lot of bitterness over what for us was the ruin of our favorite computer game series. But I think I speak for most of us when I say we have got over the shock and have found new inspiration in Civ 4 and its great modding community as well as in the great Paradox games. So I can't say I am waiting for anything, though I do hope an eventual Civ 6 will appeal more to the long-term fanbase again.

For those who like Civ 5 I am happy that they have found a game they enjoy and which apparently has been improved with a sensible expansion. Not every game can appeal to everyone, that's life! In this regard I wish everyone happy Civving, be it in 5, 4, or possibly even an earlier version. In fact, staying at my parent's place over Christmas, I found my old Civ 2 CD and think I will fire up the game again once I return home!

Anyway, merry Christmas to all! Make love, not war, with your rival leaders (except Monty!). :)

I was under the impression that G/K was enough of an expansion/change that the current owners pretty much feel as if C6 could now be put off for a pretty long while. I would guesstimate 2+ yrs?

I am not sure what developers or people here are waiting for. But I am quite sure what is OP waiting for which is failure of civ5. Well, It didn't fail and u better get over yourself.

they need an economic expansion. Economics in the game is shoddy. Corporations, sea lanes, international trade routes, etc.

they need an economic expansion. Economics in the game is shoddy. Corporations, sea lanes, international trade routes, etc.

I will agree on that. It is a huge dimension of any world civilization 'simulation' that is just about totally missing from CiV. War is completely overdone (for better or worse, depending on individual opinion), diplomacy is heavily involved (although entirely war-related, once again), religion and espionage have been tossed into the mix, yet any real semblence of economics is woefully missing. The totally simplistic version in CiV of merely connecting cities to your capital via roads or harbors and selling luxuries and resources to other civs... just don't cut it. If a better and more varied and interesting means of practicing world economics between civs was introduced- yes, I would actually buy that xpac. Just another batch of civs that should have been free DLC at this point? No, I won't be buying that. They've made CiV a great and entertaining strategic wargame, but I'm still waiting for a true Civilization heir. I have hopes yet- the addition of religion and espionage shows they are quite willing to continue improving the game, and with luck we'll see some more good tricks come out of their sleeve.

Top Bottom