Wal-Mart Worker trampled to death by Black Friday shopper mob

sumit1207

Prince
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html

A Wal-Mart worker died after being trampled when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island store Friday morning, police and witnesses said.

The 34-year-old worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," said Jimmy Overby, 43, a co-worker. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too...I literally had to fight people off my back."

The unidentified victim was rushed to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 6:03 a.m., police said.

The cause of death wasn't immediately available pending results of an autopsy.

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was knocked to the floor during the mad rush. She was hospitalized for observation, police said. Early witness accounts that the woman suffered a miscarriage were unfounded, police said.

Three other shoppers suffered minor injuries, cops said.

Before police shut down the store, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the store clerk's life.

"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead, said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

Only a few stopped.

"They're savages," said shopper Kimberly Cribbs, 27. "It's sad. It's terrible."

Oh. My. God. I'd like to ask one of the killers if saving a few bucks was worth killing the poor man. :(

Killing a person is a small price to pay if I can get a small price to pay this Holy Holiday.

Just awful :( There should have been some kind of police presence to keep things in order.

That's why I'm sitting at home right now instead of out there fighting the mob.

Does this happen in other countries? Feels like this scenario happens in the US every year either at Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Other countries have their own ridiculous death scenarios too.

Does this happen in other countries? Feels like this scenario happens in the US every year either at Thanksgiving or Christmas.

No. It never happens in other countries. The USA is the only nation on earth where human stampedes occur. It has scientists absolutely baffled. Oh wait a second:

http://jonathanturley.org/2008/09/30/over-200-killed-or-injured-in-another-stampede-at-a-hindu-temple-in-india/

# September 12, 2006: Fifty-one killed and more than 200 injured at a stampede in Ibb Governorate, Yemen.[4][5]
# June 2, 2007: 12 people were killed during a stampede at the end of a football game between Zambia and Republic of Congo in Chililabombwe, Zambia.[6]
# October 3, 2007: At least 14 women were crushed to death at a train station in northern India.[7]
# November 11, 2007: 3 people were killed and more than 30 injured at the Supermarket Carrefour in Chongqing, China when the shop was offering 20% discounts on cooking oil.[8]
# March 27, 2008: 8 people were killed and 10 injured at an Indian temple crush during a pilgrimage.[9]
# June 20, 2008: At least 12 people were killed and 13 injured at a Mexico City nightclub stampede during a police raid. [10]
# July 13, 2008: 23 people died in the al-Mureikh stadium stampede disaster, during a graduation ceremony at Omdurman, Sudan.
# August 3, 2008: At least 162 people were killed and 47 injured in a stampede at the Naina Devi temple in Himachal Pradesh in mountainous northern India after a rain shelter collapsed, which worshipers mistakenly took to be a landslide.
# September 14, 2008: At least 11 people were killed when a riot was dispersed by tear gas during a football match in Butembo, Democratic Republic of the Congo.

# November 11, 2007: 3 people were killed and more than 30 injured at the Supermarket Carrefour in Chongqing, China when the shop was offering 20% discounts on cooking oil.
Come on Bug, that is one heck of a deal.

Just awful :( There should have been some kind of police presence to keep things in order.
Cops at every single store in every single town across the country? Not really possible.

The last time I worked retail on black friday we had an employee come within inches of being run over by some goddamn soccer mom dropping off her husband at our store and rush on to another one. By sheer luck there was a cop in the parking lot that ticketed her for reckless driving.

Cops at every single store in every single town across the country? Not really possible.

The last time I worked retail on black friday we had an employee come within inches of being run over by some goddamn soccer mom dropping off her husband at our store and rush on to another one. By sheer luck there was a cop in the parking lot that ticketed her for reckless driving.

A store-worker with a shotgun greeting the stampede would be more cost effective. And if every employee was armed it'd make employer-employee relations a bit smoother.

A store-worker with a shotgun greeting the stampede would be more cost effective. And if every employee was armed it'd make employer-employee relations a bit smoother.

Black Friday mobs should be corraled and led through enclosed gates to the "shopping area" just like the mindless cattle they are. With employees safely directing them from a distance as cattlemen do.

But no. They're human beings who deserve some dignity.:rolleyes:

Woe be to the poor souls who have to work in retail stores on this day...almost think that on the day after Thanksgiving, it'd be worth it to head to one of those stores just to watch the people there act like complete, mindless idiots.

Once a stamped starts, you either go with it or you go under it. Hard to blame the individuals in the crowd.

WalMart probably should have organized this a bit better, methinks. I've been to numerous early releases and even a black Friday blitz of a storm. Never were we allowed to just amass in front of the store. The stock clerk's family just became millionaires.

Top Bottom