Walk Me Through Noble.

i think you really need to start scouting the north so that you can properly decide where to put ur new cities. In the meantime id settle 1S of the marble. Same ideas re overlap as lymond, but saves you 1 good production tile.

I don't know why you whipped a wonder. It is not a good idea. Try to scout around quickly and settle a city near copper/horse if you find. There is marble and you are industrious. I'd definitely go to aesthetics - literature path to build great library.

Building Stonehenge is not a great idea when you have the Terrace : a granary granting the city in which it is built +2 :culture:. Why waste your :hammers: on Stonehenge to get the BFC while you will build granaries in virtually every city ? Unless of course you are after :gp: prophet points, but I'd rather have invested the hammers into more settlers/workers.

If you absolutely have to build an early shiny wonder when you have secured a big chunk of land, build The Great Wall : at least it will save you :hammers: on fogbusting/barbarian defense.

Oh, and mrt309 is right, with Marble you should definitely build The Great Library (+2 scientists and +3 :gp: scientist points which make +8 :gp: scientist points per turn), you'll be able to supercharge your research by combining financial cottages with academies (+50 % :science:) in your commerce cities.

Just my two :commerce:

Whiping wonders has a penalty. I dont know the formula but you basically get less hammers per population point if you whip a wonder than if you whip toward something else like a building or a unit.

Experienced players will instead whip a building or a unit that already has production in it to provide overflow hammers into the wonder.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I think Whipping that wonder gave me 3 unhappiness in my capital, so yeah, it might've been a bad idea. That unhappiness has faded now, though, and they're just complaining about it being crowded.

Update:

Spoiler :

Looks like I'm isolated now that Napoleon is gone. Does this mean I need to tech Navy stuff? Also, when should I start specializing my cities? I think I can make one more city before I have to start worrying about improving maintenance costs. Check the save and point out stuffs, thanks!

Attachments

• Tom04 BC-0850.CivBeyondSwordSave
    87.2 KB · Views: 36
My priorities would be:

1) Pump out another 5 or so settlers. You should aim to have about 8 cities by 1 AD, although there is less of a rush given that you are isolated. My first site would be the 1E of the northen gold for the commerce and the happiness. Also id try and hook up the fur to also increase your happiness. The fur city id settle 1N of the western furs, getting fish, furs and deer. It wont be a great city but working the furs are decent commerce. The rest of the sites you shouldnt have much trouble figuring out.

2) Build 2 galleys and start exploring around those islands to the north. It is very likely that you will meet other civs up there and open up some trading possibilities.

3) Tech aesthetics/literature and build the GL. This will massively increase your beaker output.

Do finish the collossus tho ...

My priorities would be:

1) Pump out another 5 or so settlers. You should aim to have about 8 cities by 1 AD, although there is less of a rush given that you are isolated. My first site would be the 1E of the northen gold for the commerce and the happiness. Also id try and hook up the fur to also increase your happiness. The fur city id settle 1N of the western furs, getting fish, furs and deer. It wont be a great city but working the furs are decent commerce. The rest of the sites you shouldnt have much trouble figuring out.

2) Build 2 galleys and start exploring around those islands to the north. It is very likely that you will meet other civs up there and open up some trading possibilities.

3) Tech aesthetics/literature and build the GL. This will massively increase your beaker output.

I agree with the above - most importantly #1. Settle, settle, settle, and settle now! You have at least 4-5 more cities to settle - do it fast. Forget about economic concerns - as long as you're cottaging a few sites and getting to currency/col, you'll be fine.

It has penalty. It gives less hammers. If you need it quickly add something else on queue and whip it next turn. Overflow will go into wonder without penalty.

So I went in to "one more turn" mode.

Spoiler :

Cultural victory in 1952. I'm pretty sure I could've won the space race if I didn't pump culture. And I probably could've won a domination victory if I knew how to wage war across oceans (lol)-- my tech was lightyears ahead of anyone else. Paris and Cuzco were pumping out the GPs and I successfully completed practically every World Wonder I attempted.... so it was hard to avoid a Culture victory.

In the early 20th century Boudica declared war on me because I was rejecting everything she asked of me. She sent 20+ units, mostly knights and riflemen, at the city with weakest protection (only two Machine Guns) and lost everyone of her units. No casualties on my end. Peace was restored shortly after that.

I think this thread has helped me understand the earlygame a bit better. Thanks!! <3 But the start your advice gave me was so good I doubt I could've lost no matter how badly I managed things in the mid-lategame. I'm going to upload my 740AD save (it's the turn right after I finished settling my continent), any criticism is welcome.

I'm going to go read up some more on city specialization (most of my cities didn't feel particularly specialized, with the exception of the 3 culture cities) and I think when I decide to start up another game I'll come back to this thread for more advice. Hopefully I'll roll a start that'll require more advice in the mid-lategame.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Tom04 AD-0740.CivBeyondSwordSave
    147.6 KB · Views: 34
Tadzio said:
Okay, so the consensus seemed to be to kill Napoleon asaply, and I did. After declaring war I stopped to pillage some farmland before attacking Paris. I attacked with 3 Quechua (the fourth pillaged earlier in the turn) and needed them all since Paris had a Warrior (that killed my first Quecha) and an Archer. Success is mine!

Why did you stop during a rush? Straight to the capitol (or whatever your current target)!
Moreover you are pillaging what soon will be yours ;)

Congrats and you should try to get a Conquest/Domination win next to have a feel on how those things are like. The cross ocean invasion is not hard as long as you have light year tech advantage. The key is build lots of units and ship them safely to the shoreline.

okie doke. Started another one. Seems like everyone is on the same landmass, and I'm in the middle of it. Posting my save for criticism and advice. :D

Attachments

• Tom05 AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    194.2 KB · Views: 54
- Working too many unimproved tiles.
- Insufficient scouting
- Why did you convert to a different religion than others? This is dangerous. There are 3 annoyed, 3 cautious rivals. They may declare on you.
- Why haven't you used great prophets yet?
- Why aren't you running organized religion?

everything mrt said

-more workers needed plus most of what you have should be moved down to work the newer jungle city and that bigger city to the east that has a lot of unimproved tiles working. You should have at least 10 to 12 workers right now.
- Diplo is not in good shape. You have no allies or friends which effects many things including trading.
- Unless I'm playing a specific strat, Feud is something I usually trade for. Something like Bureau or the Lit path for the Great Library would be more ideal
- I don't like the Cap that much. Looks like you may have moved west from a starting spot to settle coastal, but it's not that great a coastal spot for a cap. If that was the starting spot you rolled then ignore this - you just got a bad roll. It's not terrible, just not ideal and at least you got copper in there.
-Qin might be a potential target. He's protective so bring lots of cats
- If you are not running OR you might as well switch out of religion. Unfortunately Bud has not spread which may be ideal for you to be in now with Joao and Willie. Switching out of Conf may improve some relations immediately.

(Important note: One the key things I learned a while back that helped Diplo - besides the whole Religion thing - is to give into demands. Do so judiciously though, as you don't what to... say.... give away Lit before the Great Library is built or Education or Philo before Liberalism is discovered. Additionally, you don't have to give into everyone. Help your religious buddies and shun the non-believers while waging holy war on them for their heresy) Of course, if Shaka, Monty or Nappy are right at your doorstep and demand something then you just might have to accept it regardless - UNLESS you are prepared to take them down.

FINALLY, I have bts patch 3.19 and bug mod. i am going to become more interactive on this site. hope my points help you out.
Tad i hate jungles this is not the best start, but there is much potential for development. You are lagging in developing you nation though. A few things to consider:
1)Most people say 1.5 workers per city is ideal. with jungles, 2 or 2.5 is not out of question.
2)you are number 1 in size and pop, #5 in military. This is not a good ratio. You need to triple you military as quickly as possible.
3)Your Ub is baray. this is a great ub. You have health and happiness problems through out the country. baray will help remedy this
4) your ub requires elephants and you settled 3 spaces from one. I would have gotten closer to prevent chinese for possibly culture swiping and to bring them online sooner
5) upkeep is tied to distance. I think you spaced out your cities a bit much, but you have popped borders and can hem in AI. You have killed your tech but this and have to build wealth to keep it at 60%. You have probally expanded to fast but now that you are there don't try to keep res at 60%. stop building wealth and develop your cities. let research go, you are not behind yet and can make up ground later. You adv is size and you must develop your economy and military to keep up
6) I am not a fan of the hanging gardens, i think it is one of the weaker early wonders and that production could be spent on military
7) you have no building in most of your cities. IMO aqueducts(baray), courthouses, libraries, barracks, and markets are essential in all cities. after that you can start to specialize pro, com or res centers but i think these buildings are basic and producing wealth is a waste of production at this point in the game. I never produce wealth until the modern era.
8) you have 2 GPs sitting in your cap. why? are you saving them for a GA? you founded confucianism. do you have the holly temple yet? the production and gold for settling them in a city would make up for the cities producing wealth. If you want to save one for a GA that's ok but i would settle the other.

OK so I played it a bit. You stopped just in time to avoid some setbacks. I stopped at 1170 here. Was going to do a spoiler and a walk through but never done one before and I don't know how to do the spoiler.
I figured out the spoiler but not how to do screenshots

Attachments

• Tom05 AD-1170.CivBeyondSwordSave
    232.7 KB · Views: 42
Top Bottom