Wall building issue

avanember

Chieftain
It says I have to build ancient wall to build renaissance wall... Of course I have that ancient wall already. So I cant evolve. Its a very annoying bug, I cant understand how that didnt turn out already.

Hey. having the same problem here on 1.0.0.26 build 221715.
I have this a lot earlier (1270 AD).
I think this stemmed when I bought my Ancient Walls through faith instead of gold and production.
I was in very good standing with a neighboring production-based city-state at the time (although I still am now).
It does work from when walls were produced.

*EDIT* See if your walls need repairing (this will be on the bottom, with the district improvements)

Last edited:
I can confirm I had this bug in my last game for one of the cities, exactly as shown in the screenshot.

I am 70% sure I manually built walls in Corinth but never upgraded. Most walls in my empire were freely built within a few turns after I had completed them in Corinth :lol:

Attachments

• GORGOwalls 500 2049 AD .Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 148
Happened in both of my games as well, this is not a random bug, I guess it happens all the time.

I can confirm I had this bug in my last game for one of the cities, exactly as shown in the screenshot.

I am 70% sure I manually built walls in Corinth but never upgraded. Most walls in my empire were freely built within a few turns after I had completed them in Corinth :lol:

It's 2049 AD in your game, and you unlocked Civil Engineering a few millennia ago. Once you unlock Civil Engineering, each of your cities automatically gets +200 fortification strength and the ability to bombard, and you can no longer build any walls.

The bug here appears to be the grayed out option for Medieval Walls and the misleading tooltip about having to build Ancient Walls -- there should be no option to build Medieval Walls in the first place but that option seems to appear in cities where ancient walls were actually built. In cities with no walls, the City Center build options do not include any wall options (active or grayed out). This appear to happen when your ancient walls were damaged at the time you unlocked Civil Engineering -- Corinth has 192/200 fortification health. Unfortunately, once you unlock Civil Engineering you can no longer repair walls, so this glitch appears instead.

Last edited:
Sorry, had a long day

You have the same issue -- the only city with ancient walls that shows the grayed out inability to build medieval walls is in Agra, where your city fortification health is only 197/200. I'm guessing that your walls were damaged sometime before you unlocked Civil Engineering and weren't repaired before that civic unlocked. Once that civic unlocks, you can no longer repair old walls, and this glitch appears.

You have the same issue -- the only city with ancient walls that shows the grayed out inability to build medieval walls is in Agra, where your city fortification health is only 197/200. I'm guessing that your walls were damaged sometime before you unlocked Civil Engineering and weren't repaired before that civic unlocked. Once that civic unlocks, you can no longer repair old walls, and this glitch appears.
Ah. That's a shame. Thanks for clearing it up!

I'm at work, so I can't attach file, but I've got a city where I cannot build medieval (I think) walls because it says I need to build ancient walls first. Well, they are already built and I can see them by looking through the city specs. Still, the upgraded walls choice is greyed out and it says I need the ancient ones first. Not sure what's going on. I've got no difficulty on any of my other cities.

Threads merged.

You probably have the same issue described in this thread -- you have unlocked the Civil Engineering civic, which gives each city maximum fortifications and the ability to bombard, and also obsoletes all walls and eliminates the project to repair outer fortifications. But if any city has ancient walls that are damaged (and not yet repaired) prior to unlocking Civil Engineering, that city will show city fortification health that is less than 200 *(e.g., 177/200 or some such) and the game will present building medieval walls as a grayed out build option (even though you cannot build any more walls, ever), while saying you need ancient walls (which exist, but are damaged and cannot be repaired).

Wasn't there some card or ability or something that gives you benefits from ancient walls? I think it was +2 housing in each city that has one. Does that card also go obsolete with Civil Engineering? (Otherwise you're kind of stuck not being able to leverage it any further). Or am I confusing this with a different card?

After the recent patch, I am unable to build any walls past Ancient Walls in my capital city in multiple different games. Once Medieval Walls are unlocked, they show up in the Production Menu, but are unselectable, stating that "This building requires a Ancient Walls building" even though I have one. The same is true for Renaissance Walls (though they claim to require Medieval Walls.) What's more is that, in one case, this city actually had Medieval Walls already from a Great Person building them. Despite that, the Medieval Walls show up in the menu as unselectable and I can't build Renaissance Walls either. Other cities don't have this issue and can build all walls normally.
Walls1.jpg Walls2.jpg Walls3.jpg

If you unlocked Civil Engineering you will have automatic walls and cannot build anything wall like after that. It is confusing that it still is in the menu though

Top Bottom