1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Walls & Castle Maintenance + gold% + Stop Unit Spawning - Militaristic CSs...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Mahamudra, May 31, 2011.

1. Mahamudra

Mahamudra Chieftain

Can somebody please explain what the gold icon followed by a number and '%' means, for buildings etc...

And am I correct in that walls and castles cost no maintenance in vanilla, or is this just one of my mods...?

What is the purpose of the stop unit spawning option in an allied militaristic CS's city screen? How can I use this to my advantage?

2. Soronery

Soronery Prince

1. I am assuming you mean a market or something. I think they increase your base gold income for that by a certain %. Say if a building says +25% gold, and another building says +25% gold and your city makes 100gold/turn without any such buildings, you will get (1+.25+.25)*100=1.5*100=150%*100=150 gold/turn

2. Yes.

3. Militaristic city states give units every x turns (can't remember). If you don't want to receive those units any longs you can "stop unit spawning". You can't really use it to your advantage unless you don't want to deal with the units (well they can be good sometimes) you get from the Militaristic CS.

3. Exterminas

Exterminas Warlord

I would like to mention that the main perk of military states (aside from the general stuff like resources) is the fact that they tend to field some troops themselves.

It might not be much, but I frequently was able to use a city state bordering the enemy as a distraction or a base for my assault.

4. Dermo

Dermo Warlord

Has anyone ever had a good reason to stop unit spawning?
    It seems to me you're always better off getting the unit and either disbanding for the gold, or gifting back to the CS for influence

5. urbancamper

urbancamper Chieftain

The gold/influence you get for the unit is pretty tiny, so I'll sometimes elect to stop unit spawning out of sheer laziness, if I'm not going to have use of a unit I'm gifted... the two extra clicks just aren't worth the 7 gold or 2 influence to me.

Even then, this is only if I'm already running away with a peaceful-type game and I don't see a city-state somewhere that could use the unit (I like to gift unwanted units to city-states that the AI is attacking).

6. Mahamudra

Mahamudra Chieftain

Sorry, can you see (attached thumbnails) on the bottom left next to the castle I am building it has a ':c5gold:' followed by 'Cost: 320%' Also for the market on the right it has a ':c5gold:' followed by 'Cost: 370%' maybe this is part of Thals Mods, but wondering what it means anyway...

...Had to download a third party program just to view .TGA screenshot.

Attached Files:

7. Soronery

Soronery Prince

Ah I see. I'm guessing it might have to do something with how much it costs to buy the building out instead of produce it but that's just a guess (370% would mean it costs more gold/hammer than 320%).

8. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Its the Gold/Hammer to buy the building

320%= 3.2 gold/hammer

9. Mahamudra

Mahamudra Chieftain

Okay, you mean '*' and not '/'. Yeah, did the maths, it is consistent, but not exact. Usually to within 20 :c5gold:. Thanks.

10. Soronery

Soronery Prince

gold*hammer would make no sense.

11. Mahamudra

Mahamudra Chieftain

Yep. Production x :c5gold:% x .01 = Outright Purchase Price

12. Johan de Witt

Johan de Witt Prince

With that castle, your calculation would be 600 x 320 x 0.01 = 1920 gold

Krikkitone means gold per hammer (which is the same as gold/hammer).
    If the castle would be buyable for 320% of the hammer cost in gold, every hammer would cost 3.2 gold... 3.2 x 600 = 1920 gold

This is basic math.