1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Walls vs Urban Defense

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by DogeEnricoDandolo, Jan 27, 2018.

1. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Chieftain

I know that when you complete researching Steel, all cities will have fortification of 200 HP. My question is "Is this number bigger if before researching Steel, my cities have some level of walls? Or does it always cap out at 200 HP no matter if my cities have walls before that or not?

2. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

Always capped at 200
    Walls will give a combat bonus though.
    +2 / level iirc

3. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Chieftain

So I can just keep my cities naked for the entire game and rush Steel and still fine if no one attacks me? There is no long term benefits of walls besides protecting your cities for that era before Steel only?

4. GeorgeF

GeorgeF Chieftain

tourism.

5. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

Yeah walls can get you tourism, but on Emperor or below you can pretty much leave your empire defenseless once you've beaten back enough fog to keep the barbs at bay.

6. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The cost of 3 levels of wall is a lot. The small level of benefit and much better reasons for tourism makes walks just not of value. Dead end design, they did well with the idea but while the AI cannot handle them the value of the +50 garrison per level is a joke. They really need to make the final walls +50 garrison rather than always 200, then people may appreciate renaissance walls a little more.

7. Denkt

Denkt Reader

If you are in monarchy you get a few housing from the walls but you may not find it Worth it even then other than for just building large cities because you can.