Walls

ltccone

Prince
Ancient walls are a no-brainer and medieval walls are also pretty handy, but does anyone ever build Ren. walls? They become obsolete so fast with civil engineering, even in marathon.

And you have to keep paying maintenance on them even after you get civil engineering.

I build ancient walls often enough, sometimes medieval (more often not, though), and I've never built renaissance walls yet. As you said, there's little need for them as they become unnecessary pretty fast.

I didnt even know you could build renaissance walls, seriously :)

I only build Ancient walls. That and a solid military will keep you safe until Civil Engineering.
I may start doing that. Especially when I found out that the maintenace for walls never ends.

The only medieval walls I have been building is for cities that have harbors so you don't have to keep ships around just to protect them.

yup. the Renaissance walls need a rethink. Probably have them block battering rams and siege towers and give some extra boost to defense vs bombardment (other that straight combat strength).

Civil Engineering also needs to be rethought. It makes little to no sense that all of a sudden you have the most powerful walls in the game everywhere and instantly. Perhaps some form of city planning related bonus. More districts next to each other boosts both defense and wall health>/

I didnt even know you could build renaissance walls, seriously :)
They're just a blip on the timeline. :) The only use I can see for them is in a scenario.

yup. the Renaissance walls need a rethink. Probably have them block battering rams and siege towers and give some extra boost to defense vs bombardment (other that straight combat strength).

Civil Engineering also needs to be rethought. It makes little to no sense that all of a sudden you have the most powerful walls in the game everywhere and instantly. Perhaps some form of city planning related bonus. More districts next to each other boosts both defense and wall health>/
IRL they were powerful. and were key to the defenses of Malta, Vienna and Constantinople.

I I think the problem is with civil engineering, not particularly the walls, IMO, so I agree with this.

Actually what bothers me the most about walls is regarding the game visuals.. it annoys me so much to see a city in the information era still surrounded by walls.
On a gameplay note i think walls should have an effect after civil engineering maybe they could generate tourism or culture as a tourist attraction. What do you guys think?

Actually what bothers me the most about walls is regarding the game visuals.. it annoys me so much to see a city in the information era still surrounded by walls.
On a gameplay note i think walls should have an effect after civil engineering maybe they could generate tourism or culture as a tourist attraction. What do you guys think?

I am always disappointed I can't get ren walls in my bigger cities. They look good. One game I stayed with limes and avoided engineering until I made sure every city had ren walls.

Should be a gd achievement, its that much of a pain.

Or just upgrade the visuals of walls as you go, I dunno... I want ren walls, but what a chore, and by that point in the game, even on super marathon, civics are flying by too fast.

I am always disappointed I can't get ren walls in my bigger cities. They look good. One game I stayed with limes and avoided engineering until I made sure every city had ren walls.

Should be a gd achievement, its that much of a pain.

Or just upgrade the visuals of walls as you go, I dunno... I want ren walls, but what a chore, and by that point in the game, even on super marathon, civics are flying by too fast.
You've done better than me; I've never been able to build them. But then again, I never really tried that hard.

You've done better than me; I've never been able to build them. But then again, I never really tried that hard.

Well, it was on marathon prince. Russia TSL on giant earth. No vc. Deity game for a win, I might not even bother with ancient in every city.

You leave one city without walls, particularly a capital with a wonder or three, you can Longstreet the ai to your heart's content.

I think ren walls should look like the fort from V. i.e. made to deflect cannon balls more than men.

I completely agree. I have been hoping they would patch out the civil engineering blanket walls for some time especially considering the AI has so much trouble with them. I only ever build ancient walls and even those I build sparingly. I would build them more if I knew I wasn't going to eventually get freebies across my entire civ.

I think ren walls should look like the fort from V. i.e. made to deflect cannon balls more than men.

They were also made to deflect people. With mass cannons and overlapping fields of fire, walking up to one of these walled cities would have been suicide.

I was just reading about siege warfare and it looked more like the beginning of trench warfare than 'setup cannons, kill'

I completely agree. I have been hoping they would patch out the civil engineering blanket walls for some time especially considering the AI has so much trouble with them. I only ever build ancient walls and even those I build sparingly. I would build them more if I knew I wasn't going to eventually get freebies across my entire civ.

It's not the wall defense you get for free though is it. It's the ability to bombard...

They were also made to deflect people. With mass cannons and overlapping fields of fire, walking up to one of these walled cities would have been suicide.

I was just reading about siege warfare and it looked more like the beginning of trench warfare than 'setup cannons, kill'

Yeah, of course they were still deflecting people haha. But their primary shape (the star shaped gradual slope) is all about ricocheting cannon balls. And that isn't reflected in the ren walls imagery in VI.

It's not the wall defense you get for free though is it. It's the ability to bombard...

I don't believe that is true, because you no longer build walls of any type.

I don't believe that is true, because you no longer build walls of any type.

Okay, so you do get a boost to city fortification as well as bombard.
But walls have become obsolete in previous versions of Civ without any boost added that I know of...so no longer building walls in and of itself was not a solid clue for that.

Okay, so you do get a boost to city fortification as well as bombard.
But walls have become obsolete in previous versions of Civ without any boost added that I know of...so no longer building walls in and of itself was not a solid clue for that.

yeah, it bumps the health/walls to 200/200 which is well above renaissance walls.

Top Bottom