Wang turned Seoul into a colony?!

Cornhog

Warlord
Okay, a strange thing happened in my game. I wouldn't say it was a bug per se, but it's definitely something (I think) should never happen.

Wang Kon founded a number of cities (including a holy city) on his main island. These cities are of double digit sizes. Later he captured some cities on another continent from some barbarians. Anyway, apparently he moved his capital to the barbarian cities at one point. Most of these cities are in the 6 - 8 size range. After he moved the capital, he vassalized all his original cities! Including the holy city with the shrine! Including SEVEN wonders.

Seoul is the second greatest city in the world, and it's Japanese now!

First, I have no idea why he would move his capital. That seems somewhat boneheaded. Secondly, why would he give up his best cities (to Toku of all people!)? I dunno if anyone would wanna look into this or if this is even the right place to post this. I'm uploading a save if anyone is curious. It's about a turn or two before the colonization.

(For the purposes of my game, I'm pretending that Toku staged a coup d'etat.)

Attachments

• Hornkohl AD-1764.CivBeyondSwordSave
    547.8 KB · Views: 78
Gilgamesh did that in one of my games. i saw him move his capital a long time before that, and wondered why. i don't remember ever seeing the AI move the palace before that game, but it was an archi map and i don't play them often so i figured maybe it was because of the map.

and then he split off a colony, but he kept the part where his new capital was, which was the junky part. the new colony got the pyramids, temple of artmeis, stonehenge (obsolete), the parthenon, and the statue of zeus, all in gilga's former capital :crazyeye:.

i posted a picture of it in this post (the colony's capital is in the spoiler box), but i don't have a save.

Depending on the Game this may notbe a bad idea. I was reading a thread here te other day about a strategy to do just this on the Earth Map once you get to the New World. Move you're capitol to the New World while veryone is still fighting back in the old world. Great idea.

Maybe the old capital was captured at one time, and later he recaptured it? That would explain why the palace moved. And once it was moved, the AI 'realized' it was paying too much for maintenance, and split off the cities that cost too much - which are those on another continent than the capital. Seemingly that's all that counts, the worth of a city doesn't enter the calculation.

Do colonies have the same restrictions as vassals where they can break free if more than 50% of masters land/pop? That might explain the selection of which island to make the home country.

The capital was probably moved to get the largest reduction in colony maintenance.

It's a brilliant move! Toku will be unfriendly to anyone but Wang Kon, garanteeing him a permanent ally that will be up for a fight with anybody. Giving Toku his most productive, largest cities will ensure a huge empire, with full on military, and guess what - nobody can declare war on his "colony", AND most importantly Toku can't bone-headedly declare war on anybody either.

Wang Kon just created his own personal super elite super loyal body guard!

Only problem is, now Wang Kon probably doesn't have the resources necessary to survive on his own and win the game hahaha.

Spaced Out: from what I can see, colonies don't have the "capitulated" condititions for freedom. Note that normal vassals (agrreed to diplomatically) also do not break free when they reach 50% of the land/pop/whatever. Only capitulated vassals. Normal vassals have different freedom conditions, and colonies have different conditions too (AFAIK involves having really bad relations with the colony).

Narmox

I have seen it many times... after I took/razed their original capital ;)

happened in my game to. (also an archipelago)

funnyily enough the game ended with 12 colonies, 4 of which got independant, and 1 of those independant colonies came really close to winning to!

(hah it was isabella. Hannibal gave isabella independance, and islam was founded in one of the coloniez cities, hannibal was jewish. Isabella hated hannibal so much cause of reliigon, she got independance) First time i ever saw a muslim country come close to winning in one of my games.

Lots of islands on a map really favor colonies... in fact in my last conquest game, the spawned colonies remained when I had already destroyed all the original AIs :lol:

Maybe the old capital was captured at one time, and later he recaptured it? That would explain why the palace moved. And once it was moved, the AI 'realized' it was paying too much for maintenance, and split off the cities that cost too much - which are those on another continent than the capital. Seemingly that's all that counts, the worth of a city doesn't enter the calculation.

that's definitely not what happened in my game. i had "investigate city" EP points with gilgamesh and i saw that he was building a palace on another landmass. which puzzled me to begin with, i don't remember ever seeing the AI do that before, but i figured whatever, maybe he thinks it's more central (it wasn't really, maybe by a teensy bit). but the new capital was definitely not the better part of his empire when it came time to split off part of it, that's for sure!!!

Do colonies have the same restrictions as vassals where they can break free if more than 50% of masters land/pop? That might explain the selection of which island to make the home country.

it certainly didn't look like Gilgamesh was doing calculations anywhere near that complicated. the landmass he turned into a colony was bigger than the combination of the two landmasses he kept, and altho the total populations at the time of the split were about equal, there were more food resources available in the colony. those cities definitely would have been bigger than the ones he kept, except for some privateers going around pillaging fishing boats. i know nothing whatsoever about that, of course!

I was once tempted to actually do something like that. Heres why

I once started a game and had a very bad start, I could only build a few cities before all the land was taken. Then I scrambled myself off to the new world and started building cities like crazy. Then I moved my palace to the new world because I had far more cities there. Then I almost turned my orginal cities into a colony (but I didn't because the upkeep wasn't too high)

I've never seen an AI move it's capital. I wonder what conditions have to transpire for that to happen...
I am playing the Road to War scenario, and in May 1938 went to plant a spy in Japan's capital. But it had moved! For some reason Japan built a palace on the mainland and placed it as far north as they could. Its not centrally located, but it does allow partisans which flee to the capital to get back into the war more easily... as opposed to transporting them from an island.

I'm not sure why Japan picked the extreme north end of their country. Perhaps it was meant to keep it as far from the battle lines while still being on the mainland?

I can understand moving the capital in some, rare circumstances. But willingly giving up a city with seven wonders of the world and the holy shrine of the second largest religion in the world? That's stupid. I just thought I'd post it because I thought maybe the amateur A.I. patchers might like to look into the computers conditions for creating colonies.

And if not. At least it's kinda funny. Japan's got Seoul, baby! Honestly, if Wang didn't get half of Toku's points, I think the colony would have a much higher score than the master. There's only about 200 points separating them now.

Top Bottom