1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Want an easy way to play Civ V online? Say hello to Giant Multiplayer Robot!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by m4stermel, Mar 5, 2012.

1. m4stermel

m4stermel Giant Multiplayer Robot

Thanks guys, there are certainly some problems at the moment with GMR and GaK games. So sorry about that, we are absolutely looking into it! (And I haven't left on my trip just yet, that's tomorrow evening :))

2. m4stermel

So it turns out we had a bug on our site last night that would corrupt some save files when the turn was submitted it. I've now fixed and you should be able to simply revert the last turn and play normally. If anyone sees any other problems please let me know!

Thank you all for helping us test and refine this system! GaK threw a couple wrenches in our code but I feel confident that we'll have it all working flawlessly in no time :)

3. Onan

Onan Dad

Question: is there a reason why the client closes Civ when you save a file? Often it would make more sense to leave it open, at least from this user's perspective. :)

4. EulerMcE

EulerMcE Warlord

You can turn it off in the options by clicking on your Steam profile pic. However I don't think you can do anything but close Civ when finishing and saving a turn on Hot Seat.

5. Onan

Onan Dad

Hmn...must some kind of anti-cheat feature. Cause it's pretty inconvenient! Can anyone confirm who's used to using hotseat mode?

Edit: I tried what you said, but the only settings there are for notifications. Maybe it's just a feature of hotseat mode, like you said.

6. Foffaren

Foffaren King

One thing annoying with the desktop GMR is that it closes civ whenever you save a hotseat game, even if you play with a friend in an actual hotseat. I paniced when it did it thinking we lost the save.
    It didnt though, but it might be something to look in to if possible.

7. species.zero

species.zero Chieftain

Hey everyone! First off, the setting for closing Civ V is found by clicking your avatar in the desktop app, not on the website. You can set it to not close the game, but you'll be stuck on the screen for the next player. In this state, you can't even open the main menu, so the only thing you can really do is close the game (alt+f4 on Windows). Also, right now, we do what we call password encryption, where the players other than you in the game have passwords that you can't type. This makes it more secure, but an unfortunate side effect is that you can't have two players playing on one Steam account in a game.

Anyway, hopefully that answers your questions, because I'm also here to announce some exciting new stuff...(drumroll)

Turn timer and vacation mode are now live! A host in GMR can now setup a turn timer that will skip players who don't take their turns fast enough. You can also turn on vacation mode to be skipped in your games right when it gets to your turn. In both cases, the in-game AI will handle your turns.

Here is the full rundown of what the turn timer is and how it works. If you have any trouble, let us know!

8. Onan

Onan Dad

As usual, nice work, guys!! I look forward to trying this out and playing a truly 'speedy' GMR game.

9. zonik77

zonik77 Chieftain

Those are really good news. Thanks for your great job :goodjob:

10. Onan

Onan Dad

Couple questions about the turn timer:

I take it the timer is for a full game turn, rather than a set time limit per player?

Also, if players in a game are spread over many time zones, then the turn-ending time exclusion feature seems like it would only work for some players...Since it can only be set in one time zone? I can't see a way around this. Any thoughts?

11. species.zero

species.zero Chieftain

Yes, the turn timer settings are per game. EDIT: I think I misread that. The turn time limit itself applies to each individual turn. For example, set it to 12 hours, and each individual player would have 12 hours for each turn.

As for turn end time protection, yeah, it wouldn't work well across the world. It's mainly intended when the players of a game are in the same or similar time zones. For more global games, you'll probaby just want that setting off.

12. m4stermel

Hey Onan, the turn-timer is indeed for each player, not an actual game turn. What this effectively means for you hosting a game is that you can specify that each player in the game has exactly 8 hours to take their turn from the moment the previous player finished theirs. If they don't take their turn within that time-frame the AI will do it for them and the game will progress to the next player.

The additional features such as setting a time-span that turn's cant expire rely on a most players being in a similar timezone and thus probably don't make sense for games formed here on CivFantics. But it would probably still be useful to play with some turn-limit and have it active all days of the week, this should prevent situations where one player "forgets" to take their turn for a day or two and slows everyone else up. :)

13. species.zero

species.zero Chieftain

Another update tonight. Email invites to private games now work (they were broken before). We've also added another feature in the right box of a game where you can generate links to give to people to invite them to private games (although they'll work with public games too). The way they work is by generating a unique one time use token attached to the link that lets them in to your game. Hopefully this should make it easier to invite people to games by PM or IM. Or hey, you could even post a forum thread with a handful of links on a first-come, first-serve basis. :p

14. m4stermel

We've added the average time each player takes to complete their turn to the game's detail page. You can now see exactly who's slowing your game down! ;)

15. Foffaren

Foffaren King

Thats pretty damn cool!

16. LostKnight

LostKnight A wandering knight

And this tread is stickied now, that will help people realize how good this GMR is!

17. Banman

Banman Prince

that's superduper awesome!!

18. RStark

RStark Prince

Hello Mel,

I haven't any experience of starting myself GMR game yet, so I have some weird question:
    Does GMR support hotseat games where human players are divided into teams? Let's say there are 5 teams in the game, and each team consists from 2 players.

19. m4stermel

Only absolutely! :)

You can setup the teams in the hotseat game however you like, humans or AI! We don't reflect the teams on the GMR website, but they'll be there in the game. I myself have participated in a several team games using GMR. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

20. RStark

RStark Prince

Thank you for the answer, Mel!