1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Want an easy way to play Civ V online? Say hello to Giant Multiplayer Robot!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by m4stermel, Mar 5, 2012.

1. BlueCollar

BlueCollar Warlord

Just a dumb question. Does using vacation mode count towards getting skipped on the turn timer?

2. Patriotic_Fool

Patriotic_Fool The Mitt ©

I'm in a game that keeps crashing whenever I try to play. I download the game (or use the dekstop app), and when the game is loading (I see the "America" screen, I'm America in that game), it loads for 15+ seconds then crashes. :L

I can play another game fine, ALTHOUGH I played that game, submitted my turn, and then later I did another turn. The game had reset, and I had a new (albeit, better) starting position. Idk if the leader tweaked things or not.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated ^_^

3. m4stermel

m4stermel Giant Multiplayer Robot

No, using vacation mode does not count towards getting skipped. Also, turns that you were on "vacation" for do not count towards your average play time for any game.

4. m4stermel

Can you copy the URL for the game you're having trouble in, or at least tell me it's name? I'd be happy to look into it for you :)

5. Foffaren

Foffaren King

We've been talking about replacing people in existing games in a few other topics and it got me thinking.
    How about a way for the leader to replace people that leave mid game, allowing others to take over. Either invite another player much like you do when you create a game, or put it out under public games again, with some icon that it is a game in progress and you would be replacing someone.
    While you are waiting for the replacement, the AI still takes the turns.

Had the idea when you mention that replacing people was an easy thing to do. Is it just as easy to automate it/let players do it?

6. m4stermel

Yes, this is definitely something we'll do in the near future! While it's a simple matter to substitute someone into a game by doing it manually in the database, it's considerably more work to build the UI for allowing users to do it through the website. But we'll get it in there.

One thought we've had on implementing it is to let the host enable "AI Substitutions", so if a player is kicked or surrenders than another player could join the game and choose which AI slot (if there's more than one) they want to take over. :)

7. wuTz

wuTz Warlord

And it would also be nice, if you could play one civ as a team with your friend. So whoever has time to make the turn can do it...

Nice effect would be faster games

And the tactics you discuss with your friend(s) / teammate(s)

8. m4stermel

The GMR community has now reached 1,000 strong! And what an amazing community it is! Thank you all for your feedback, support, and for playing Civ with us. You guys rock! :)

9. m4stermel

That's a pretty neat idea! I think it would be rather challenging to implement given how we've setup our database. But we'll consider it going forward :)

10. Onan

Onan Dad

Bravo to you guys, Mel and Brian / nullmaster and species.zero. It wouldn't exist without your hard work and dedication! So, again, thank you, very much. :worship::hatsoff::trophy:

And just like that, within a few shorts months, GMR has a community larger than both civplayers and NQ. :eek: :p :D

11. wuTz

wuTz Warlord

12. RStark

RStark Prince

Hello GMR team!

I have been experiencing some problem in both of my GMR games since the start of these games. They are "Kyp's GMR game" and "12 player" which are played on vanilla Civ 5.
    The problem is that my game passwords are not saved into GMR save files. Every time when I enter a new password, then make the turn, then press button "End turn", create new save file and submit it to GMR server, when I download and start playing my next turn, my assigned password is gone. Actually in both of my games I play without assigned passwords due to this issue.

My steam account username is "rstark84". Can we find solution to this problem?

13. species.zero

species.zero Chieftain

Hi RStark! You can set your in-game password for all of your GMR games by clicking your avatar on the GMR website. Any password you input in-game will be overridden by the GMR setting, which defaults to nothing. However, as it is now, your turns are still protected from other players. When your games' save files are passed to other players, your password is set to a series of random, un-typable characters, which means that other players in your game will be unable to access your turns, even if you don't have an in-game password set on GMR.

14. RStark

RStark Prince

Thank you for a quick response, zero!

15. Onan

Onan Dad

Ah, so that's the system! Random new pw each turn. That's quite a trick!

16. michaeltrnka

michaeltrnka intergalactic hitchhiker

Hi Mel, Congratulations on passing the 1000+ players mark. I want to thank you for making such a great service and making my favorite game even better. :thanx:

I know this must be a ton a work and I am sure you are very busy but it looks like you are taking suggestions for improvements and I have one. I would like something in the desk top client that could take screen shots, add and arrow to the image and send it as a personal message to someone I am in game with. For example, I would like to be able to send someone an in game map/screen shot that says you attack here and I will attack here, ect... Of course I want it to be super easy to use and I want you to do all the work. But since you have done such a good job of making all my other wishes come true I thought I might throw this one at you and see what happens.;)

17. m4stermel

Thanks for the feedback Michaeltrnka! We definitely love getting suggestions and requests for enhancements, that's what helps us make GMR so great! I'll consider your suggestion for a built-in screen capture tool, but I can tell you it will probably be lower on our list of things to-do ;)

In the meantime have you tried Microsoft's Snipping Tool? It's pretty awesome, easy to use and does exactly what you described. If you use Windows 7 it's already installed, if you use another version of Windows you can download it for free as part of the Microsoft Office XP Pack for Tablet PC (works on regular PC just fine).

Here's a screenshot I just took using it and even wrote on it just for you :)
    Spoiler :

18. species.zero

species.zero Chieftain

Alternatively, Steam has a screenshot tool built in. If you have the Steam in-game overlay enabled, just press F12 any time in game to take a screenshot. Steam will then give you the option to upload your screenshots to Steam Cloud when you hit Shift+Tab to open the Steam overlay and when you exit Civilization V. In that same dialog, there's also a "Show on Disk" button that will open the folder with the screenshots. So, if you want to make an annotation, like an arrow, you could open up the file in Paint and draw some stuff on it before uploading. Uploaded screenshots all have their own URL and can be set to be private, friends only, or public. So, in your case, you could set the visibility to public and share the link with the desired player.

19. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

How can I change the order of the players before starting a game?

20. species.zero

species.zero Chieftain

On the game details page, just click and drag the users to the order you want. However, be aware that the host must always go first.