want to get Gods and Kings but worry...

jimbbq

Chieftain
since the latest update, my game has become significantly slower, especially in between turns. I am worried G&K will make it even worse. does anyone notice any significant drop in performance after G&K??

Yep. Tons of posts about this. Plenty of us in the same boat, me included. Load of tosh really. Apparently a hotfix might be coming.

I find general load screens take more time - had 1 crash trying to load an autosave - but all in all the game performance for me hasn't changed all the much

I remember seeing a recommended fix for the programming-savvy over on the 2K forums. You change some coefficient from 1 to 0 in some .ini file or something. I'm not savvy enough to know what it does.

If anything for me, performance has increased. Dunno what to say, really, beyond the fact that I do have a good processor.

I remember seeing a recommended fix for the programming-savvy over on the 2K forums. You change some coefficient from 1 to 0 in some .ini file or something. I'm not savvy enough to know what it does.

Go to My Documents>My Games>Sid Meir's Civilization 5.
Open config.ini in Notepad.

Use Find to locate this line:
EnableGameCoreThreading = 1

Change it to:
EnableGameCoreThreading = 0

Save file and exit.

The code was added to enable the game core to run in its own thread, hopefully allowing it to work faster. The feature makes some setups run slower. Changing the above mentioned line disables this feature. You can re-enable it by changing "0" back to "1."

To OP, get it. The XP runs really good. This is a huge step up from CiV vanilla. Do what binhthuy71 suggests, and the game will run the way it is supposed to.

Heartily seconded. This one's worth the money. The changes plus the new civs make 5 a lot more fun to play.

I can't stop playing it. :lol: I decided, I better take a break for a bit my eyes are sore. :D I stole gunpowder tech from Austria, that was awesome and could not have came at a better time. :)

Go to My Documents>My Games>Sid Meir's Civilization 5.
Open config.ini in Notepad.

Use Find to locate this line:
EnableGameCoreThreading = 1

Change it to:
EnableGameCoreThreading = 0

Save file and exit.

The code was added to enable the game core to run in its own thread, hopefully allowing it to work faster. The feature makes some setups run slower. Changing the above mentioned line disables this feature. You can re-enable it by changing "0" back to "1."

I just tried it, my game actually became slower!!!
Now it got me really worried if G&K will make my game unplayable.....

I played 2 differant huge marathon maps last night, no issues on time to long between turns. So, if you do have issues, maybe time to get off that old Tandy 256 eh?

maybe my laptop is too old for this game!! :(

I can't address that one. I wouldn't even want to try. Instead:

1) Does your laptop meet the published system requirements?

2) Do you shut down every background process that you can (Windows File Indexing, Anti-virus software, etc. etc.) before you start the game?

3) Have you enabled Quick Movement Movement and Quick Combat in Civ?

4) Have you turned down all of the game's graphics settings as far as they can go?

If you answered "Yes" to all of the above then you may want to consider a slightly more robust box if running Civ quickly is sufficiently important to you.

Thanks for all the help! I just took a leap of faith and ordered it!!!!!!
I can't wait for tomorrow to come :)

I can't address that one. I wouldn't even want to try. Instead:

1) Does your laptop meet the published system requirements?

2) Do you shut down every background process that you can (Windows File Indexing, Anti-virus software, etc. etc.) before you start the game?

3) Have you enabled Quick Movement Movement and Quick Combat in Civ?

4) Have you turned down all of the game's graphics settings as far as they can go?

If you answered "Yes" to all of the above then you may want to consider a slightly more robust box if running Civ quickly is sufficiently important to you.

I turned on quick movement and the speed went up SIGNIFICANTLY!!!!! a bit weird when moving my units as they just jumped to the selected tile. I wish there was an option that would enable quick movement only in between turns when AI is planning! well well :)

thanks for the tips :)

Top Bottom