1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Wanted: War Academy Authors

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Civlopod, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Civlopod

Civlopod Chieftain

I'm going to assume GS is the final expansion for Civ6. I just don't know how much more they can add to the game. Since that's probably the case, we need some good War Academy articles. We're not going to get much more, I think, so there's not much point in waiting any longer..

As a fairly inexperienced Civ6 player, I rely on this forum to learn what works best in the game. Surely there must be some skilled players out there willing to take the time to write out their strategies and attain the rank of CivFanatics legend? It appears many people have the knowledge. But who, dare I ask, has the initiative? Surely there must be someone?

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The answer is complex.
    There are quite a few fundamental good play rules that should be in place that are regardless of civ but these take some explaining and are not as straight forward as V.
    Victory condition map and difficulty make such a difference but a general guide can be written I guess.
    Some people have done some really good write ups but they have not been specifically requested to go into the war academy.
    There are so many variables, I am Roman but find early horses and the opportunity of a dark age, should I play roman tactics or take a more fruitful route?
    Should a civ start with mining, animal husbandry, Astrology... gah, so much difficulty purely in the simple things like where to start.
    A good guide is quite complex I imagine.

3. Civlopod

Civlopod Chieftain

So what you're saying is that you might be qualified? ;)

4. Victoria

You have seen the links as my signature I assume. I feel they provide me with the qualification to say that such guides are fairly irrelevant. That general strategy guides are they key to understanding and civ specific guides give a little flavour and may have a different approach.
    To write such a guide would be quite narrow, so for example Kupe SV deity terra map really should be its own guide. I could probably do it some justice in about 5000 words, no less. There is too much to discuss, many options, many paths. Such a large amount of work would be read by few and change with the next release.
    Time has also moved on. People watch rather than read nowadays. If I did a deity Kupe Terra game on YouTube it would get more watches than reads of a guide, just the way media has changed.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Fluphen Azine likes this.
  5. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

@Victoria 's post struck a cord with me and I started to read those signatures yet again! Great Information that I either forgot or never learned. One thing that was posted was the idea to get an envoy into militaristic city states. I did not realize how powerful they can be to build settlers or units in general. It was stated if you can get 3 of these CS's and one envoy into all of them you get +6 extra production into the capital. Even just one is an extra +2 which is huge in the early game. Now I don't dismiss that CS nearly as much as before. I am starting to respect the Militaristic City States far more than I used to.

6. Victoria

Take this a step further. It is your capital that gets this bonus as it is the capital that gets all your bonuses. For example early Pingala users should place pin in the capital because it gets all the science and culture bonuses from 1 CS envoy. It is a small thing but your capital is getting these bonuses so why not make the most use of them.

7. Civlopod

Civlopod Chieftain

Not sure I agree with this, at least in the long term. If I can spend 15 minutes reading a text guide that I can easily refer back to, I would consider it superior to a long video I would probably have to rewatch again and again to pick up the major points once I inevitably forget some details. Besides, a text article could easily deal with options and alternate scenarios, while a video of a game would not be nearly as effective in that regard. Would a text article take more time to create? Perhaps. But I think there would be greater value.

As for specific strategies, perhaps it is true that a general articles would not be as useful as previous iteration of Civ, at least not for long in the learning curve. But that's a far cry from saying they're not useful at all, and game concepts are still game concepts. A War Academy author could easily write general information that would apply to most leaders, with bonus tips in the article for specific ones. Despite variations, most leaders have more in common for most parts of the game than differences.

Naturally, those potential War Academy authors who have more experience with specific leaders would be welcome to give specialized strategy guides. Useful, too, would be hints about how to deal with specific leaders as opponents.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  8. Victoria

So here is a screenshot of the latest civ VI guides when updated last and number of views, not exactly huge numbers and I doubt the are all human.
    upload_2019-12-24_23-56-26.png

9. Leucarum

Leucarum Prince

I've found the guides and community here really useful to helping me develop, but I suspect that youtube "lets plays" have kinda supplanted them for the bulk of the player base. Not neccessarily a bad thing, everyone learns differently after all! And not everyone is a fanatic...