1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

War AI is so terrible

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Klik17, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Klik17

Klik17 Chieftain

I made this account just to say this because im so disappointed for giving almost 100EUR for civ 6+ 2dlc on ps4.

So i played CIV 6 for 4 straight days on standard map with Prince difficulty(its the best difficulty, after that AI is the same its just that he is cheating and gets bonuses and multipliers). Its just incredible stupid to battle any war or to conquer anything even a small battle. Last match i even started at information age, after initial build of production,districts etc i build couple of bombers(5 bombers in total) and couple of tanks,attack Russia going straight for its capital then bombard his city/units until i destroyed walls and conquer it with easy with tanks. Even though they had respectable army they dont know how to use it, attacking 1 by 1 instead of using some tactics. Not to mention they dont even use naval/air units.

I played over 10 matches in few days, every single time AI is terrible. I even tried on duel map with 1 AI. And same,bombard its city until i destroy walls and then take it with single land unit. Even if they have army size same as me they dont do absolutely anything with it, mostly just send 1-2 tanks instead of actually using bombers or attacking simultanously with tanks and bombers.I even waited for 80 turns to see if AI gonna do something but NOTHING.Just send 1 tank and then chopper and then 1 battleship one by one..

Its just terrible. I wish one day AI would improve in gaming just like graphics improved in last 10 years, at least to some degree that it can offer more fun and challenge.Until CIV does something gamebreaking with its AI, i wont buy it.

Im sorry for the rage post,i just needed to put it out there. Love you guys, have fun

youngsteve and Zuizgond like this.
  2. tomekum

tomekum Chieftain

You are right. The AI is garbage. I won on deity difficulty on my 5th game. I tried to select the weakest civ and different game options like select more civs than default and yet the AI still wasn't challenging (besides the ancient era where AI has more advantages).

My hope is lost for this game. Unless they release the source code for the dll and some modder make the AI mod.

In the meantime I recommend playing Age of empires 2 definitive edition. It's really challenging game and the graphics are very nice in that remake.

youngsteve, Zuizgond and glider1 like this.
  3. Klik17

Klik17 Chieftain

When i played CIV 4 about 10 years ago i always thought "damn can you imagine how CIV AI is gonna be good in like 10 years when CPU's gonna be 30x more powerful, more RAM, better and faster memory etc", but it was only wishful thinking.I love this game but AI is killing it.

4. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

When Single Player and the AI is too easy (No Longer Fun)...
    it is time to play some Multi-Player Games.
    If you play with the NQ Groups and or Civ Players League you will not find everything so Easy!
    You will have other things to gripe about though.
    We all do it here, so no worries.

One time, this professional gambler or Advantage Player was playing 3 Card Monty.
    He and everyone else knew the game was fixed or no good for the player.
    When he lost all his money they asked him why would you play that crooked game??
    He replied: It's the only game in town!
    I feel the same way about Civ VI :)

Tabarnak likes this.
  5. tomekum

tomekum Chieftain

Agreed. The game is very good mechanics wise, the graphics is beautiful but what's the point in playing when you know that no matter what you will win. It wasn't the case in Civ 4 where AI even on monarch difficulty would be challenging. I am disappointing that developers just ignore this issue and just put more features into a game which AI can't use properly

Zuizgond likes this.
  6. fantsu

fantsu Prince

Well, AI is slow to learn. Civ4 wasnt perfect, but 1upt is something AI never understood after civ5.

Zuizgond and Fluphen Azine like this.
  7. Vidlius

Vidlius Chieftain

The AI does use aircraft.

I'm not sure if this is a new thing or not, in my last game, a dom game with Alexander I brought jet fighters and mech. Inf. to take Koreas capitol
    and she had at least 2 regular fighters. She used one to try and take out my infantry, forcing me to deploy mine to protect it while i shelled her city.

This was at immortal on rise and fall. 300ish turns.

8. Klik17

Klik17 Chieftain

Yeah they use, couple of fighters and thats it. But they should use lot of bombers and produce it, i mean its a basic thing about attacking a city/country even in real life terms. Never have i ever seen AI doing something what it should be doing, what 99% of players will, attacking a city with land units, artillery, bombers and fighters on deploy air superiority on some basic coordinated tactics. All we get is AI sending 2 land units every 20 turns that are destroyed in seconds with our bombers

9. _ViKinG_

_ViKinG_ BERSERKER

Thats why i only have 500 hours in civ 6. When i should have 1500 - 2000 hours by now. I sadly play civ 5 still instead. Just waiting to see if 6 will be any better soon. If not i will play 5 until Humankind :p

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    youngsteve and Ron West like this.
  10. bc1

bc1

I gave civ 6 a try when it came out, and was quickly turned off by its incapable AI.

Today, 3 years later, I was planning on taking advantage of steam sales to try the expansions.
    But what I read here makes me doubt any progress AI-wise has been made in 3 years...
    Is this actually the case ? Is the Civ 5 AI, itself no stable genius, still better able to play its game than civ 5 ? Are there any XML mods that improve Civ 6 AI ?

Thanks for any advice.

11. tomekum

tomekum Chieftain

The AI is still terrible although a little bit better than at the release. I also played once at the release and got turned off by the stupid AI. Last month I bought the Gathering Storm expansion cause I read that AI got better but once again I was disappointed. The AI can't wage wars after ancient era. It is very passive especially towards player especially when you are doing well which is really easy even on deity. I don't recommend playing this game yet if you are expecting a challenging AI. The game has interesting mechanics and really eye pleasing graphics but without challenging AI it's not worth playing more than 3 games at most.

Zuizgond likes this.
  12. civxander

civxander Chieftain

Yesterday i lost a mixed game (3 Human, 4 AI emporer, online-speed, large map)

Mongolia attacked me with (corps of) horses, knights, swordmen in classical and medievial era. It was quite a bit of work to get rid of him and i could take two small cities founded near my borders.

To get closer to the top again i decided later to take two of his cities in industrial era. I had no chance and was lucky he offered peace after some rounds. In the end i was to far from the top of the leaderboard.

Compared with the start of Civ 6 it is now much harder. It is not anymore possible to just take city after city. One thing is the changed game mechanics. On the other side the AI is stronger, although not really good compared with humans. But the AI tries to build corps and armies and keep them modern. Also its a kind of being more tactical.

For me it is great fun, and as a Civ6 charackteristics, every game plays different. In one game you will have very peaceful neighbours, in others agressive expansionists. In some games there are almost no barbarians, in others you will have fun with them ;)

For me now it is the best civ.

Pure24 likes this.
  13. sdtum21

sdtum21 Chieftain

Civ VI is one of my all-time favourite games, but yeah the AI is absolutely terrible at war. I'm not much of a warmongery player (although I've been working on that of late!), and even I hardly ever lose a single unit to an AI. You just put up a wall of melee units and fortify them and all the AI does is dash itself against the rocks. I think the only time I've ever had a problem was when I spawned next to Mongolia, got too caught up playing SimCity and neglected my military, and then suddenly all the keshigs in the world marched themselves directly up my arse. And even then that wasn't the AI being good at the game - it was me being an idiot, :crazyeye:

Depravo, 679x and tomekum like this.
  14. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Early barbs and city-states do often a better job than the actual AI civs. Of course, like already said, the ultimate challenge is and always be multiplayer against competent humans.

Devs haven't mastered the hex grids for AIs yet. But wait! Quantum computers are coming...maybe the computers themselves will find a solution!

Fluphen Azine likes this.
  15. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

Although I find Civ V to be more difficult compared to Civ VI the truth is they are both pretty easy actually. Different game plays or styles altogether as one is meant for more tall compared to wide. The truth of the matter is that the Top Players finish both games very fast depending on the Map. Civ IV BTS is still the most difficult IMO.

So if you want to play V or VI you have to start challenging yourself on turn time if the game is "too easy" for you or you don't enjoy it. This is if you want to play single player. Either way it all boils down to what you personally enjoy or find fun.

I found out that you can usually bribe the AI with Gold if they look like they are coming to attack you early. I heard that the Civ VI AI could win pre turn 300 on Standard Deity but I haven't seen it in the last month or two that I have been back playing single player.

16. universecreep

universecreep Chieftain

I find it interesting that 90% of people seem to say that they're beating Deity with ease but according to the Steam Achievement stats (God-Like) only 5% have actually done it. Something doesn't add up.

I'm the last person to defend Firaxis but I think they've done the best they can do with the AI. There is only so much time and money they have to spend on each component of the game. I think they aim to get the AI so it will be challenging/fun for most of the players but trying to optimize it for the small group who would actually appreciate this option is likely cost and time prohibitive.

I'd much rather Firaxis spend time on improving some of the other gameplay systems like diplomacy, religion, or the world congress for example which are lacking.

17. Infixo

Infixo Deity

I really hope that the source code will be released one day to the modding community. Then you will see what can be done with the AI. Saying that what is now is the best they could do, about a multi-million dollar company, that makes big bucks on the game... you're actually insulting them :) I prefer to think they simply don’t have a reason to do it better because there is to extra revenue from this, only costs.

The AI is the same for everyone playing. There is no need to “differentiate” it for a small group - the difficulty levels are for this. And, btw 5% shows how easy the game is. Steam shows percentage based on all games, check out how many people actually finished it at least once. In the end, probably 15-20% people playing it, can make it to Deity. And Deity should be like a holy grail, achievable for maybe 0,1% players. So you have a reason and motivation for getting better at this game.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Ondolindë, Zuizgond and AsH2 like this.
  18. Piranga

Piranga Chieftain

Only 42.2% of players have the achievement "Game, Settler, Match", which is to win a game on settler difficulty (the lowest) or above. That 5% starts to look a lot larger comparatively.

Eurritz and Zuizgond like this.
  19. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Those are beating deity are the ones giving most advices. And they are civfanatics. I bet that 50% of buyers haven't played more than 3-4 games as well.

20. seankhan

seankhan Chieftain

The harder game levels are found at>game speed >online< you will be hard pushed to win an emperor level within 250 turns(winnable),the ai will own your ass.ignore the deity standard speed scrubs my 10 year old daughter could beat that.