War At Sea In The Ironclad Age, 1850-1889

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by Delta_Strife, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

I stand corrected. Let me rephrase it, I'd like to see something more generic. ;) Maybe more mid-18th century then. Hard to explain. I rest my case.

2. Kirejara

Kirejara King

I understand your wish.

Also I still miss a typical 74-Gun-Ship (the main warship in the Napolonic wars) or a also typical Warship from the English-Netherlands-Wars.

The first Wapen von Hamburg was a classic example for a dutch warship (even if she technically was neither a warship nor dutch ;) ).

But I think I must stop before Delta became angry on us for OT... ;)

3. Ares de Borg

4. Delta_Strife

Delta_Strife Deity Supporter

Update: Laurana Kanan has provided us with new previews! Also, Ares got another ship done. So we have the Chattahoochee Gunboat. Preview Below:

Spoiler :

5. Samez

Samez Emperor

Thanks for the ships, but also thank you for the previews.

6. Ares de Borg

7. Delta_Strife

Update: Another for the Confederate Navy, Louisiana Class Corvette, not that the class of ships ever made it to that navy. However, they did serve in the Prussian and Peruvian Navies. Preview Below:

Spoiler :

8. Delta_Strife

Good news LK has been busy now we have Confederate preview.

9. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Delta Strife, if you have a reasonably good model of a 60 to 74 gun ship, you could cut it down one deck and make what was called a "razee" frigate, similar to HMS Indefatigable, the frigate of Captain Edward Pellew. The HMS Indefatigable was cut down in 1794.

10. Delta_Strife

@timeover51: Sorry I have no model like that.

Update: Another civilian ship added the SS Great Eastern. Preview Below:

Spoiler :

11. Lionic

Lionic King

Believe it or not, but I've interpreted Isambard Kingdom Brunel as Islamic Kingdom Brunei:lol:

12. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

That Great Eastern is AWESOME.

13. Samez

Samez Emperor

The Great Eastern is a great addition :)
    TBH the paddle wheels are close to invisible on civ scale -giving them a different color like in the picture below might help

14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Archivist, redux Supporter

... Well, me bucko, I believe you know how I feel about these!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

-;)z

15. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Did not realize until researching the Terra Nova (posts 3 thru 14) that "whaler" is a specific type of ship, not just a usage label. Apparently she was "reinforced" but not substantially changed for the Scott expedition. I'm in early stages of designing an "Antarctic" scenario. Would her design be suitable as a general unit for ice cutters / expedition vessels? Or was she unusual for the period?

16. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

She was similar some of the US-built steam whalers. If you can get access to a copy of John Bockstoce' book, Steam Whaling in the Western Arctic, there are some very good descriptions of US purpose built steam whalers. Most of the US Steam Whalers were built to overwinter in the Arctic to maximize their chances at the bowhead whales. I am not sure if Wiki gets it description correct with the "seven feet of oak from bow to stern", as that would drastically cut down on internal volume by 14 feet on a beam of just over 31 feet. Terra Nova or any of the big US steam whalers would make a good expedition ship, but definitely not an ice cutter/ice breaker. That is another specialized design.

You might also look at Nansen's ship, Fram, which was specifically built for Arctic exploration and was used by Amundsen for his South Pole expedition. You can find the data on the Fram at either Project Gutenberg or archives.org under Nansen's book. Farthest North, 2 volumes. He has an excellent description of the ship, as well as diagram layouts.

17. Delta_Strife

Update: One for the Union Navy the Unadilla class Gunboats. Preview Below:

Spoiler :

18. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Very nice, Delta Strife.

For those interested, the given armament of the Unadilla-class of "Ninety-Day" gunboats was one 11-inch smoothbore Dahlgren gun on a pivot, one 20-pound rifle (normally Parrot but could be Sawyer), and two 24-pound howitzers. The howitzers were carried on the broadside. Delta's model shows 4 broadside guns, which is not a problem as ship armament in the Union Navy in the Civil War could vary quite a bit, based on the personal preferences of the commanding officer or squadron commander, the mission of the ship, and the possibility of combat.

For information on armament of US Naval vessels, the best starting point is the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. You can find it online at:

http://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/ship-histories/danfs.html

Again, the armament on ships during and prior to the Civil War could vary greatly. A good example is the USS Constellation frigate, which started out with a main battery of twenty-eight 24-pound long guns and ten 12-pound long guns, and was rearmed with 18-pound long guns and 32-pound carronades when it was determined that the 24-pound guns strained the hull excessively. Another example would be the USS Essex frigate, which changed from 12-pound long guns to 32-pound carronades, massively increasing her short-range firepower to the great detriment of her long-range combat ability.

19. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Thanks for these Ships Delta Strife... Excellent as always and Very Much Needed and Appreciated :goodjob:

20. Delta_Strife

Update: More steam ships we have a generic ironclad gunboat and stern-wheeler. Preview Below:

Spoiler :