1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

War At Sea In The Ironclad Age, 1850-1889

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by Delta_Strife, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

2. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

I looked up the model but the description only says "A ship modeled after an ironclad warship (an ancestor of a battleship) around 1880."

3. Kirejara

Kirejara King

It is a very nice ship, but she looks for me too more like an early turretship and not like a central battery ship (who had a fixed armored superstructure for its guns and no turrets).

I once asked for an early turretship with diagonal turret arrangement:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Inflexible_(1876)

I guess I have it now. ;)

4. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Ares and Kirejara, thank you both for your answers (and Ares of course for sugestions about that ship and all the sounds you have added to Delta´s ships). :)

The HMS Inflexible, I think yes this is it, and Kirejara has won that ship quiz. :)

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Archivist, redux Supporter

@timerover51's return ( :goodjob: ) inspired this bit of playfulness; the "prizes" are every bit as imaginary as 5 of the names listed below; and I'm trusting that @Delta_Strife won't terribly mind a one post thread-jacking ( :mischief: )

All that being said, I've always been mildly intrigued by the number of Royal Navy ships with names beginning with the letter, "I." So here's a list of ten - but only 1/2 of them have ever flown the White Ensign ... Any ("silent") guesses? -
    1. Icicle
    2. Impeccable
    3. Imprecation
    4. Impregnable
    5. Imprimatur
    6. Impulsive
    7. Incinerator
    8. Inconceivable
    9. Inconstant
    10. Insolent
    :popcorn:

6. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Alright, Oz, I will bite. I will go with Imprecation, Imprimatur, Incinerator, Insolent. I am not sure about the final one, but I think that it might be Impeccable.

7. Ozymandias

The real ones: Icicle; Impregnable; Impulsive; Inconstant; Insolent - Did I mention my mild fascination? :D

8. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Hmm, I got four out of five as not being the names of His/Her Majesty's Ships. I missed with Inconceivable.

9. Ozymandias

Yes, but I'm nonetheless waging that, grading on a curve, you'd still get an "A" :D

10. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

I have been reading through some of the volumes of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies during the Civil War, and some of those ship names are quite interesting. Delta Strife would have a llot of fun trying to model them. If it floated, it was used.