War, E&E 260 BC

One answer per letter, or justify more in post.

• A We should at least try for peace for now. (R)

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • A No, lets keep attacking them

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • B Ignore demands upon contacting (may propagate war)

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • B Give in if cash (please indicate amount)

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • B Give in if tech (NOT R)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C If peaceful, trade for Techs (R)

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • D If peaceful, trade for maps

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • E If peaceful, demand they get out, if not already mentioned by them

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • F Disband Khorsabad, move 1NW

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • G Use IRPB to disband

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • G Use IRPB to disband only during peacetime

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • H Go Weeeest...la la la la la; build another trieme.

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • H No, we,ve enough.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I ...is for Indians, do we want to contact them? WHY? ALLIES? Please post!

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Rout

ZZzzzzzz
As you all will know the newly aquired city of The Udal is under threat.
We do not want to relinquish it again to the hated Vikings (boo!) and possibly also lose a tech to them.
Having just recently taken a city (the Udal itself) the Vikings (altogether now... booo!) may be open to a peace/ceasefire arrangement which would buy us time to fortify the coast and prepare and send an invasion force.
Another facet of the current turn is that in the we have not attacked them. The emissary MUST be sent before any offensive action has taken place, or they will tell us where to go.

As it stands we do not have anything to gain by being at war with the Vikings (deafening roar.... BOOOOO!!!!), and this being deity they will pump out units like there's no tomorrow and be landing all over the shop.
Also it being deity level, we will have no problem goading them back into a war.

On the matter of exploration and expansion, we have had a succesful round of exploration with 2 new areas uncovered to the east, and a new city found ("it was just 'ere in this 'ere 'ut sarge!"). Do the people want to re-locate to 1 NW?
Also, it seems we are only exploring in one direction, do we want another Trieme for forays West? One built in civvium (eg) could skirt up the coast and check for reachable landmasses, then if none are avaliable explore the continent to the NW.

So what do the citizens of NUF (Yeahhhh) want to do?

I copied the post from the first poll to this one. DoM

Peace with Viks to buy time to fortify The Udal, then goad them back into war and/or demand they remove their troops. In the meantime I wouldn't give them anything unless we are in a real pickle (e.g. they land Legions right next to our undefended city).

Do not disband Khors., it will waste too much time IMHO. I would wait for Carvels to explore much around the Indians and Vikings, but exploring some directions away from them might be helpful.

We should attempt to make peace. I'm not sure that we
should demand removal, because (this being diety level)
they might well just re-declare war.

We might explore west, provided that we stay well south
(near the pole), to avoid tangling with the Indians.

The best time to make peace is just after we've bribed one of their cities! We could demand removal when we're ready for war again. Then let 'em declare.

Since we are also at war with the Indians already, I'd also like to go over there and bribe a city. We may need to raise funds to afford 2 cities, though.

Western exploration: I'm interested in that bit of land showing SW of Elysium. It may not be colonized by the Indians yet.

I wish I could comment intelligently, but I can not. These are all important matters. If you can save Our "The Udal", please do. Keep exploring for more land, more cities, however you do it. I am trying to provide Domestic Planning to aid all of these efforts.

You would like more Diplomats and Serfs, correct?

Our Duke has raised an interesting point in Chryshe Thread.

So I have a perhaps intelligent question. It is End Of Turn, but I'm wondering if we're asking MonkE to first contact the Vikings and get a Cease Fire or Treaty.

Because if we are, we could let Fort Anarchy complete its Caravan without wasting any shields. FA is Caravan 45/50 in two turns. It can be converted to a Legion if needed to save Udal. Then start a Legion (or Elephant). Neuma should still build a Legion.

This has been polled in Guns & Butter. However, if we think we can achieve some safety before EndOfTurn, then the FA Caravan may prove more useful that the Legion.

It is worth a try as we're still in Monarchy and can then goad them for as long as it takes to declare war on us again once we have properly explored their territory and established which cities we will target first with our mighty (and as yet inexistant) crusader army! We should make the most of what we can but then let them declare war because it would be most dishonourable to stab those beardy weirdies in the back!

After looking at the map again, I don't think The Udal is in immediate danger. Our phalanx on the hill blocks their horsemen and phalanx from attacking the city. Our phx has the defensive advantage if attacked. The last unit on the trireme didn't land, so I suspect it isn't a military unit, but more likely a settler.

I'd really like to avoid a phalanx RB in The Udal. To spend $25 and only get a phx - ugh. That is a desperate, last gasp tactic. Our horsemen garrison the city next turn. The fresh archer could move SE onto the forest, freeing the chariot to provide some attack capability for the city.

The roaded+irrigated buffalo suggests that a Viking city is right there. Assuming that the trireme isn't attacked, we could have the diplomat bribing a city as soon as 2 turns (one turn crossing, next turn land and have 1 movement point left to move on road and bribe city).

Following that scenario, one question is whether to send both dips so one could explore or to keep the second dip home in case there is an opportunity to bribe a trireme. I expect greater benefit from exploring (you know there will be a second city to bribe!). :D

I agree on The Udal. The only immediate danger is the trireme attacking the city and killing the diplomat. RB a phalanx won't stop that. Once we get the horseman up there, we should be fine. We can even shift the archers and Phalanx around so that the archer takes the phlanax spot and the phalanx goes into the city.

You guys just don't expect them to attack! If we can make peace, fine. Otherwise, I expect them to attack.

I would rather keep the Phx fortified on that hill. The Other Dip can Bribe their Phx in 2-3 turns. It will take 5 turns for the Archer to get to Udal. I view the Horse as worthless defense, also the Chariot (attacking that rough terrain). The Neuma Legion, 7-9 turns. If you'd rather not RB $25, ok, but... I AM CHICKEN LITTLE.

A new idea: Neuma catapult?

The horseman would only need to be a defender against the possibility of a trireme attack. I wouldn't expect the trireme to attack when loaded anyway. The rest of the units are being held in check by the unit on the hill. In two turns we could get the archer to replace the phlanax on the hill and let the phlanax move into the city.

Basically, I'm expecting the AI to agree to peace and removing his troops. I don't think they are likey to rebuff that offer just after us taking yet another city.

Top Bottom