1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

War Hammer 40,000 Mod

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Goldflash, Jul 16, 2004.

1. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

I'm in the Navy and live aboard a stinkin' assault ship, so I know where you're coming from, there...

Sorry about your comp... As for your question, I happen to have Blender 3.2 myself, and can use it to save the files as .DXF, which I then can import into Bryce (and Poser, too If I remember correctly).

2. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

I know what that we've been over this before but.. please pick four Eldar craft worlds for me to toss into the game....

Oh, and I think I figured out the Hover resource-- narklon gas

3. The Great Apple

The Great Apple Big Cheese

Ok, let me see... Eldar....

Information found in the 3rd ed 40k rulebook:

Ulthwé - The dammed army

Lots of farseers and warlocks due to proximity to the eye of terror.

Alaitoc - Ranger force

Large number of rangers (suprisingly enough).

Saim Hann - Jetbike Army

Lots of fast attack. No swooping hawks or shining spears.

Biel-Tel - Aspect warrior army

Purely aspect warriors, farseers and warlocks (no guardians, for example)

Iyanden - Ghost Warrior army

Guardians and dire avengers rare, wraithguard and wraithlords commen.

That's 5. I'm not sure on colours or anything else really.

4. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

Thanks, TGA!

5. Smoking mirror

Smoking mirror Ships Captain

I've done lots of animations, and hopefully should be able to post some full units this weekend.

Also I'm working on a chaos spacemarine leaderhead.
    Heres a lowres preview, have to render the full version tomorrow, does anyone know if the Open FX flic format will work as a civ III leaderhead?

Attached Files:

6. Smoking mirror

And here is a sample of the real thing.
    Happy, normal and angry, the light gets darker and redder the more mad he gets, He's evil I tell you!

EDIT;
    A small adjustment, the hair looks good on the unit, but is too solid for the leaderhead. Also added some small details to the textures and darkened the kneck ring.

Attached Files:

7. The Great Apple

Hehehe - he's really cool!

I've never tried leaderheads with OFX - you'd have to test it I spose.

EDIT: And just out of interest, what units have you done? Or is it just all the guys from the preview threads?

8. Smoking mirror

Units I'm definately going to do or have nearly done;
    Cadian Imperial guardsman
    Cadian Storm trooper
    Daemon
    Chaos Space marine (hand to hand)
    Chaos SPace marine (bolter)
    Convict soldier

And later I may make:
    Nurgle Daemon
    Convict armed with big metal pipe.

After that, who knows. I want to stop making models now otherwise I'll never get around to animating them. :)

9. muffins

muffins Lemon scented

Cool!

Why not try and open a leaderhead flic with FLICster and see if it reports it as custom Civ3 flic? They seem to play OK in PSP Animation Shop

10. Smoking mirror

I'd love to see an Ork warlord leaderhead, with big Teef and lots of chunky armour! You'd need to get to grips with textures though...

11. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

You can't open even Firaxis LH Flics with Flicster. You can, however use regular flc files generated by JASC Animation Shop 3 for LH's. I know this because I've put the finishing touches on both the Garnet and the Squall LH's with JASC Animation Shop 3. With Garnet, I rendered the file as an AVI, then converted it to FLC, which I've found was a mistake. The Main reason being that with the AVI format, the video is compressed, and a fair amount of quality gets lost due to compression. That's why for the Squall LH, I rendered the animation as a series of 121 BMP files, which I then loaded into Animation Shop 3 via the animation wizard, and created a flc file straight off. One word of caution though: I don't know if Open FX allows you to specify a palette when rendering, but the last two colors in the palette MUST be magenta and green, or at least not used anywhere in the unit. The way I did this with Animation shop was to open one of th BMP's in PsP, reduce it to 254 colors, and change the last two (blank) colors to magenta and green. I then saved the palette (but not the image), created the animation, and when I saved the animaiton, I chose the highest quality setting, and used the customize option. In the custom menu, I made sure the color depth was set to 255 colors, and checked the "specify palette" box, and specified the palette I just created. I also checked the "to nearest color" box, but in some cases, dithering actually looks better (as with the Garnet LH). After that, I closed the customization box, and clicked on the "next" button in the save file dialog box. About halfway through the saving process, it will ask which color you want to ditch (since it's being reduced to 255 colors), and since I have the default BG color 255 0 255, that's where the selection cursor already is, so I just click "ok" and the process finishes. Like I said, it may be simpler to just render it as a FLC from OpenFX (although I'm no expert), and if in doubt about the format, just run a quick in-game test with it to see if it works.

12. The Great Apple

I've pretty much worked out textures, it'd be modelling it in high enough detail that I'd probably have trouble with....

I might give it a go, after the grav tanks are done.

13. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

I will post the preview of ork leaderhead tomorrow. I had it started long time ago (was gonig to have 2 eras actually, one for WH the other for Wh40k) along the space marine and eldar units. I know I'm not good with keeping dates, but leaderheads aren't as frustrating as units to make, so I won't abandon it as easily ;) It has very big teeth.

14. Smoking mirror

If I posted a zip with all the BMP's in it could you make it in to a flick for me? Otherwise open FX doesn't allow me to specify the pallette so I cant change the last two entries, and I have no program to modify flics, So If I posted a Zip with My Foward and back flics could you alter the pallette?

After much testing I've ditched the changing lights as it doesn't have a good result in 256 colours. So the final result has a single similar pallette for each frame.

That sounds great! We don't have any other leaderheads yet but I think maybe bismark would make a good imperial leader. I could do a normal space marine after my chaos one too (if I ever sort out the problems) :(

15. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

Hmmm... Which Chapos Space MArines woul;d he be good for, I wonder. Chaos Undivided, perhaps? I really don't know. But Sweet leaderhead.

Another note about leaderheads: single era is fine, but if you must make it era specific, we only have two eras.

And thank you, Embryodead. I don't want to fight with you anymore.. are we cool?

16. Hamah

Hamah Prince

Great leaderhead. :goodjob:

17. Smoking mirror

O.K. the assault version of the chaos space marine is done, I'll wait and post most of the units together. Several of the others are about 40% done.

One of them is the armed convict/crew member, who I think people could use for toher mods. I think he looks a bit like a modern alpine trooper;

Attached Files:

18. The Great Apple

I shall look forward to it! That request list is going down and down. :)

EDIT: Hmmmm - how about including an intro with the mod! We could "borrow" the Dawn of War intro (yes that game again). It's a very very cool intro, though 'tis a tad bloody.

http://www.fileplanet.com/contests/sept04/dawnofwar/

19. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

I don't want to Get into legal trouble...

20. The Great Apple

Heh - ok. It is free to download, but I really don't know the legal status and all.