War Happyness, Peace Happyness, Peace Weariness

JuuL

Creator of
We all know what "war weariness" is but what about this:

War Happyness/Peace Weariness:
Some civs (Hittites, Mongols, Aztecs) and some new civs, which could be added to the game (Huns), have cultures and systems of government, which are based on continuous warfare. If a leader fails to have war with at least one enemy, his citizens (or at least those in power) will think of him as weak and become angry. But if he makes war (and is victorious) he will be a popular leader and his citizens will become happy.
In most countries it is easier to make people accept lower wages and fewer rights if your country is at war. Those of you, who have read George Orwell's 1984, will know that some governments can actually be based on this simple system (War against others is Peace in your own country).

Peace Happyness:
Some Democracies, Republics and governments like that could get a happyness bonus if they have peace with all other nations.

Some other examples would be the war euphoria of WWI where there were celebrations at the start of war. The US Civil War started with festive outings to witness the battles.

Don't know how you'd work it into the game but if they're going to change war weariness then a more complicated model might indeed include a war euphoria that perhaps increases happiness and/or production temporarily.

One way may be to tie war attitude with battle success. ?

This already exists in c3c to certain degree. When a war is raging around you, without you involved, the people are a little on edge. When you finally pick a side, some citizens will become happy, releasing the tension of pre-war anticipation.

I dont know about war happiness but there should be a system for civilians to embrace the war- popular support. This would be helpful if the country was attacked or if for some other reason people supported the war.

In MOO3, there is a concept called casus belli (cause of war) which basically tells you how your population feels about a given civ. That way you know how likely they are to riot or celebrate a given war.

Its also in EU2 and is tied in with features such as each nation has claims on particular areas of land and if another nation controls this area then you get a CB. This could be represented by the computer owning cities that you originally built and didn't gift but it could still be exploited... Also you can get a CB from how they have treated you recently. For example if the AI had just signed a trade embargo against you then you would have a CB against them until it ended.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but it confused the hell out of me the first time I saw it:

I was playing as the Persians, and was at war almost constantly. I didn't notice that much war weariness, and most of my cities were actually celebrating "We love the emperor day" for dozens of turns. And THEN, I made peace with my enemies for the first time in a very long while and THEY ALL STOPPED CELEBRATING?!?! The Persians aren't even militaristic!!

Ah wait nevermind I figured it out... I was getting luxuries along with my military alliances, and then when those deals were cancelled I didn't have all those luxuries. And there I was feeling all proud of myself for forcing my citizens to like war.....

That is very likely, I have never done Latin, I was just trying to remember of the top of my head. I sounds more likely.

I just think that war weariness being a purely democratic / republic concept should be scrapped... with a slightly more complex picture of the circumstances under which people will favor war, and circumstances under which people will grow tired with a war.

dh_epic said:
I just think that war weariness being a purely democratic / republic concept should be scrapped...

You're right. Actually War Weariness can be far more dangerous in a Monarchy. People will revolt and try to depose the King, but in a Democracy they simply just go the streets (after work) and shout a little. Well, actually our Prime Minister has been both egged and thown red paint at but that's still not as bad as being decapitated by an angry mob.

Top Bottom