1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

War in America! 2005

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by sourboy, Jan 29, 2005.

1. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

Here is a C3C scenario based upon a US civil war following the 2004 Presidential Elections. This is a "deluxe" version of the scenario American Civil War 2005! This scenario takes place on a larger map & includes 50 new units.

Story: The second straight scandalous elections have caused the US to crumble. It now consists of the remaining Union fighting the Southern (separatist) States (this is a locked war for the duration of the scenario), while the western states have formed independent republics of Alaska, California, Montana and Texas.

The decrease in stability in the region due to the fall of the former Super-Power has encouraged Quebec to break away from Canada. This split has isolated the eastern territories of Canada - who have united to form the Maritime Union.

With Mexico, Cuba and several Caribbean & Latin American countries watching closely - North America is up for grabs! (this scenario goes from the first week of 2005 to the last week of 2009, with game turns reflected in weekly increments - 260 turns total)

Map size: 200 x 250

This map is available for download here.

There have only been minor changes to the initial gameplay rules, mostly in terms of required resources for units, in an effort to reflect accuracy & the modern day turmoil that would be associated with such an event.

For varying levels of gameplay - I suggest playing according to the following:

Recommended Scenario Civs for Expert Players:
    Dominican
    Guatemala
    Haiti
    Honduras
    Jamaica
    Nicaragua

...for Good Civ Players:
    Alaska
    Cuba
    Maritime Union
    Montana
    Quebec

...for Average Civ Players:
    California
    Southern States of America
    Texas

...and New Civ Players:
    Canada
    Mexico
    USA

Hope this version is enjoyable!

Files:
    Scenario Folder - 33 MB - this contains the units, icons, and other related files. The attachment below contains the playable biq in it's most recent version.
    EDIT: v3.0 removed after 50 downloads.

Attached Files:

2. silver 2039

silver 2039 Deity

Why do you have all the holes in the territory? Just increase the culture of the cities.

3. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

The culture of each city is at least 10 so that the borders are increased. The holes in the empires are generally due to unfavorable terrain such as mountains, deserts, or tundra. Since this scenario is based on the real world, I didn't want to 'make up' a city just to fill a hole.

4. silver 2039

silver 2039 Deity

If you put culture in nearby cities at 1,000 or 500 or something it won't be difficult to fill up the holes.

5. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

Sure, but then the culture may impede a neighboring city, which - if conquered - could flip because of the huge cultural bias in the first city, which was added just to fill a gap in territory. It doesn't make sense & it's a poor gameplay decision. Keep in mind too, that these areas cannot be settled by other Civs, so the only purpose of acting upon your request is to fill territorial boundaries. The other benefit to this is terrorists. It's common knowledge that deserts & mountains are havens for encampments. By leaving various areas open in these regions, it allows terrorist camps (barbarians) to spawn there. Another positive for accuracy & gameplay.

6. mungman

mungman Chieftain

After loading up it said I was leader of the DEBUG civ when trying to play as Texas. Also every city is size 5 aside from the capitals, which are size 7. Also the only terrain improvements are roads and railroad, I believe there should be some mines and irrigation added.

Also, Galveston is an island and Houston has access to the Gulf of Mexico.

I'll play some more and see how it goes. Love the idea and look forward to seeing how this developes.

Also I would reccomend a new tech-tree so that there's some newness in that area. Maybe some lines to acknowledge the gradual restoration of order and reorganization of society that would take place. Maybe some different paths to show the different cultures between sections of the US along with the Central American states. I would reccomend placing California, and C. America in one cultural group, Texas, South US, Montana and Alaska in another, and US, Canada, Quebec and Maritime in the last.

Also UU's for each state. I'm not very familiar with the workings of the editor so I can't offer too much help in that regard, but I'd be happy to add ideas to add and could maybe contribute some in making changes in the editor on areas I'm familiar with.

7. CornMaster

CornMaster Romulan Commander Retired Moderator

Now only if these people had aided you in the beta sourboy. ;)

8. CornMaster

Wow....now there is a misinformed suggestion.

Quebec in with the US, Canada and the Maritimes......wow.

First...Quebec is french....the rest isn't. That should give it it's own culture group. You could probably get away with putting the US and mainland Canada together....but the others are just too different.

9. Riothamus

Riothamus Chieftain

From a Canadian and Maritime perspective, Quebec has a very distinct culture, (Look up the Meech Lake Accords).

As well, Maritime Culture is as different from Quebec or Canadian culture as is say, texas culture from New England culture (Maybe even more so if one were to judge solely by Nfld culture - they were an independent country until 1949).

10. mungman

mungman Chieftain

Well unless you want 12 different cultures it's the best grouping I could come up with. I know there's differences between Quebec, Canada, the Northern US, and Maritime, but they have more similarities with each other than they would with the other groups.

11. Funky2882

Funky2882 Still Surfing the Net

Sour boy you and your threadss.... dling it now i'll see how it goes :-/

12. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

Tell me about it :rolleyes:

~~~~~

I updated the file to v3.1, with some minor changes (DEBUG mode is off now).

~~~~~

It's the same as the last beta. I added a very brief civilopedia entry to the areas that needed them (I hate writing those things out), but otherwise it should be common sense. I'm sure things will be changed as they are pointed out - as CornMaster said, people don't seem to care until it's finished.

Cultural links really only effect the city graphics for that Civ, so don't read too deeply into it. Sure maybe population heads too, but that's not too important - and quite frankly there aren't very many in the customed graphics forum to work with. This is just a scenario - not a mod.

13. mungman

mungman Chieftain

The cultures were meant as a suggestion for seperate tech trees and units in case there were plans for further developing this, but if you don't wish to add any more feel free to disregard.

14. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

That's fine. To be honest, though, I never intended to go this far with the scenario, so I can't say I'll work on it any further (beyond fixing bugs).

Now maybe down the road I'll change my mind (depending on the suggestions/responses), or maybe someone else will lead changes - where I would only help out.

If I do work more on this, the most likely thing would be placing all the new units into the old map (I prefer small maps, so much so that I probably won't play this version).

Others in the old thread suggested creating a global-scale scenario to reflect overseas response to a US crumble. That I would consider - and if I decide to do so, cultural-trees may be included.

At this point, I need a break :coffee: I've been checking out other scenarios/mods to get some fresh ideas. Ultimately I want to mod Civ into something "realistic." I also still have my 'Israeli/Palistinian conflict' scenario on the back burner...

15. CornMaster

Yep...got to love living in the only country that ever voted itself out of existence.

And actually....it was 1934 that we lost country status......
    "The government was rescued by Great Britain when Dominion status was suspended and a Commission Government established in 1934."

16. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Downloading. I will probably take a look at this tomorrow.

17. Funky2882

18. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

19. Funky2882

i'm sorry but i just noticed it when i was playing. It had never occured 2 me that it might be one tile off and it doesn't erally matter one tile won't ruin the senario. Just keep in mind if there are any future updates. During beta i was focusing more on the units and playability :-/. Not cities being a tile or two off.

20. Princeps

Princeps More bombs than God

:mad: There's just one oil in the whole map. Alaska should have some...
    i guess :hmm: