1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

War in America! 2005

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by sourboy, Jan 29, 2005.

1. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

There's several oil resources. Even if it disappeared it should be respawned in another location.

Alaska, Texas, Ohio, Mexico, New Foundland should all have some, as well as other locations.

2. krazydude

krazydude Prince

this could be a very good scenario with some improvements:

1) it's odd to see us and other countries having no irrigation or mines at all :|
    2) transports should be available from the beginning, i started playing with jamaica and noticed i could only leave my little island to attack or meet civs in 50 turns! (when i finish research the tech to transports)
    3) also, why is the jamaican infantry named "african infantry" ?

the map is very playable, and seems to me very accurate too

3. Andrew_Jay

Andrew_Jay Prince

Corn Master, you're from Newfoundland too are you? Cool.

To the map maker:

I would suggest changing the sizes of your cities. Right now virtually everyone is 5. Cities like Quebec and Ottawa shouldn't be bigger than Toronto or Montreal. Many of the cities you have on the map are miniscule in real life and should only be on the map as size 2 or 3. New York, Toronto, L.A. and others should be huge.

Just to be picky :) . . .

In Newfoundland, change Woody Point and St. George's to Corner Brook and Port aux Basques respectively. They're the only substantial towns in that area (and eve then are only going to be size 1 or 2). St. John's should be about a 3 or 4, Gander about 2, St. Anthony and Grand Bank should be 1. I know this part of the map is pretty insignificant, but I just want to use this to point out how much your city sizes need adjusting.

4. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

1) I didn't in the old map because it didn't fit as well and I wanted to allow the player to have more options in the opening turns - as you may have realized, they are the most important. I've been planning to update that in the update.
    2) Hmm, that should be a default unit. Didn't have a very big beta testing crowd, so it slipped through. I'll check on that for all Civs for next update.
    3) Ack, that shouldn't be african infantry - that's the name of the unit I downloaded to use there. I'll correct that as well.

Thanks for feedback.
    Sizes I'm still working on, many people have requested this. It's another thing that wasn't an issue on the smaller map. I've been having trouble getting populations of many areas, that's why it's still not done.

Name changes are welcome, I already adjusted one area (New Brunswick?). Certain areas need cities to represent them, but as I mentioned above, I can't always tell which cities are more notable in an area where both are considered small on a map. I'll have this in the next update as well.

I appreciate details like this as well, accuracy on a modern day map is important.

Thanks guys.

5. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

Keep giving feedback people, I don't mind tweaking even the details (city names/sizes, unit names, etc) on this map. It's a modern map, so there are people out there who live in many of these areas who can provide modern details.

..and quite frankly, if most of the complaints are things like names of cities...well, that must mean the scenario plays nicely - and that's all I want.

thx

6. Sex Pistol

Sex Pistol Chieftain

Good foundation on an idea; props, sir.

7. jefff

jefff Chieftain

Whenever I try to load the scenario "War in America! 2005" I get an Error message that reads:
    Error Reading File
    Missing Entry in:
    "text\pediaIcons.txt": TECH_Default.

I checked the pediaicons text and found the words TECH_Default, but I don't really know what I'm doing... Advice would really be appreciated!

8. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

Your biq needs to be in the same directory folder as your scenario folder (usually ...Conquests\Conquests\ or ...Conquests\Scenarios\).

9. jefff

jefff Chieftain

It is
    in the conquests/conquests and conquests/scenarios
    any other ideas?
    ~Thanks

10. LoughlinNR

LoughlinNR Lurker Extraordinaire

This scenario is great, good job sourboy.:goodjob:

11. Naglee1017

Naglee1017 Chieftain

when loading the scenario it gets to the o in scenario and just stops ne1 know why?
    :confused:

12. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

It looks cool but iw ould recomend getting rid of baltimore and puting in Washington. America wouldnt give up its capital it is against are misguided sence of nationalism

Also The south is likely to call themselves the United States too. DOnt know maybe call them the SSA or CSA

I feel sorry for montanna they are land locked ha :lol: ha :lol: ha :lol: ha suckers

13. ibcoltscrew

ibcoltscrew Prince

I'm from Quebec City and i just try your scenarion. Been playing 3 game so far and i gotta say i love it. The only weird thing in your scenario is Canada and Quebec should be alliance-Lock all the time. It is just impossible one day that Quebec and Canada go to war and in my 3 game , i've been at war against canada 2 time cause of southern US. Cote should be Cote-Nord too but NP, i can rename it ;). If you can change the color of Quebec (i did for a dark blue) it could be nice, cause the current color really sucks.
    One more thing... i think it's funny that California and Quebec have such good relation even if they are very far from each other (i dunno why tho). In my three games, i've been Gracious with California and the United States all the time, they really like Quebec (in the game) lol.

I give a good 9/10 for your scenario, it's fun and i can't wait to try another game.

*If you know the Rhye's mod, it could be a good idea to mix your scenario with the add-on of Rhye's of Civilization mods... ;) This Complete mods add lot of missing stuff in the game, like units and wonder from modern america.

Keep your good work :goodjob:

14. ibcoltscrew

ibcoltscrew Prince

It's true.
    Washington have to be there, even if someone drop a nuclear bomb on it, the city will still be there on the map... Maybe you could make it like a Nuclear City with pollution and no road all around and a size of 1 or 2. Like that, the United States will have to rebuild Washington while the south will try to conquer it too. Just an idea tho !

15. mjdh1957

mjdh1957 Chieftain

I played this and won on Victory Points as California by the middle of 2006. Just a thought, it might be better to increase the VP as 50000 seemed to be reachable very quickly by quite a few of the countries (I was racing with the Southern States to reach it first and won just after I had destroyed the Texans and had taken over half of Montana).

But it is a fun scenario to play, and I've carried on after I've won. The US is getting a hammering from the South and the Maritimers. Canada has lost a couple of cities to the Maritimers too - they are the only other nation who seems to have been able to build tanks so far.

My strategy was to build up cruise missiles so I could attack Texas and take El Paso for the oil there, then take out both Texas and Montana once I was able to build tanks. I now dominate the whole western half of the former US. Mexico has taken some Texan cities too, and a big strip of the US stretching from Dodge City up to Chicago. The Southern States have taken most of the Eastern half of the US, though the Maritimers have taken the coastal cities up to and including New York (Trenton changed hands between the South and the Maritimers several times).

Lots of cities have been razed, which I always find annoying in scenarios where it's not possible to resettle, but I know it's not possible to alter the way the AI does that. Shame, as there are several potentially productive areas where the Canadians destroyed several cities in Montana.

But great fun to play.

16. gat00

gat00 Chieftain

Hey, I just downloaded this, and I think this looks awesome. I'll be trying it here in a bit. But from looking at the Edit program, I noticed a few cities that could use changing, and I hope you don't mind this sort of thing, and you don't take offense at this.

In the Southern States:
    -Georgetown to Charlestown
    -Fort Meyers to Tampa/St. Petersburg
    -Pineville to Alexandria
    -Sulphur to Lake Charles
    -Bowling Green to Paducah/Owensboro
    -Additionally, I know you sited as needed, but Huntsville is way off. Probably not fixable though, its nearly due north of Birmingham. Also, I-65 from Louisville-Nashville-Birmingham is missing. Major US throughway, though may be done for gameplay.

Northern States:
    -About the whole New York area, I'm not sure of some of the cities as to where they are supposed to represent. I assume Buffalo is removed for gameplay?
    -Amherst to Hartford/Springfield (there really isn't a corresponding city of any size there)
    -Plattsburg to Burlington
    -Odgensburg to Watertown
    -Utica to Syracuse
    -Syracuse to Rochester
    -Newark to Columbus
    -Muskegon to Grand Rapids
    -Brainerd to St. Cloud (neither Brainerd or Bemidji qualify as cities, but gameplay I assume)
    -Grandforks to Grand Forks
    -Athens to Grand Island
    -Thanks for leaving Washington DC out. ;)

Texas Republic
    -Capital really probably make more sense at Dallas, though capital of Texas is of course Austin

Montana Republic
    -Though capital of Montana is of course Helena, Denver or Salt Lake City would make more sense on city size
    -Trinidad to Pueblo
    -Montrose to Grand Junction
    -Cedar is Cedar City
    -Richfield to Provo
    -Brigham to Ogden
    -Weiser to Lewiston
    -Lewiston to Coeur d'Alene
    -Kalispell to Missoula
    -Choteau to Kalispell
    -Afton to Butte

California Republic
    -Kennewick to Yakima
    -Baker to LaGrande
    -San Luis is San Luis Obispo
    -Silver is Silver City
    -Tombstone to Douglas

I'm no good for Canda or Latin America revisions, but I hope you don't mind these. I have this talent with maps, so I just looked mine over. Hope you don't mind. Thanks for the scenario!

17. tarpoon

tarpoon Chieftain

hi, I really like your scenario, currently playing cuba and on the verge of conquering complete middle america ;)

Here are a few things I noticed:
    a) maybe you should give Mexico and Cuba more starting tech, both aren't as "advanced" as the RL USA , however they should still be technological superior to the other middle american civs
    b) is it just me or aren't there any granaries in this scenario?
    c) there should be at least 2 more oil resources (maybe 1 in alaska and 1 more in texas so you could trade for it), I checked in the scenario editor and only found 2 sources, hardly enough for the 8 "major" civs in the scenario
    d) when I was at war with the maritime union a stack of 4 destroyers and 1 transport moved to one of my coastral towns and the destroyers attacked my city directly (like ships in civ2 used to do), killing 3 FARCs and retreating with the transport back into the fog of war, maybe you should look into the settings of the destroyers, though I haven't heared that one can change the way ships interact with land units

18. Rod

Rod King

Hello,

why not just increase every city's culture and enable the overtaking of culture of conquered cities. So you would prevent flipping and fill the holes.

Terrorists are a neat idea, but dont really increase the fun of gameplay. So it wont be a huge loss, if there are no terrorist's camps.

yours
    Ruediger

19. gat00

gat00 Chieftain

Upon gameplay, while I find this to be an interesting map, it suffers horribly from lack of oil. I've found one in Newfoundland, and one in Texas. Isn't there lots of oil in Alaska, oil in Ohio, a rather large amount in Texas, offshore on the Gulf Coast (perhaps this could be conveyed on the map?), and there is a fair amount of oil in Mexico. I also think there is oil in the Canadian outback. Shouldn't these be conveyed on the map? Your previous post indicated that there was oil in many of these spots, but where is it?

20. Illini Rule

Illini Rule Warlord

1.Why would motana, california, and Alaska leave the u.s. More likly they would california split in two

2.Also the north would brake from the south.

3.Texas is the biggest bush state so why would they leave.