War mechanic combined with dark age/

Ticklepink

Chieftain
I'm not getting this. I'm playing Alexander and I took the advice of the narrator and declared war on Dido..she was woefully unprepared and I took three cities bing bang boom. Right? No ,not right. I had to defend a city for 30 turns which I did (via the wonderful world congress). While defending I built walls and encampments (all the good stuff) and after defending I got 100 favor points and an extra +2 combat. (which meant nothing cause there were no era rewards) so...I go into a dark age and these cities that I had turned into fortresses give me 5 FIVE turns to earn Loyalty or they're rebelling!!(no, garrisoned units did not matter neither did governors.)...F I V E. T U R N S. So they rebel because there is no mechanic to earn loyalty that quickly. And low and behold their rebels have rifles.!! RIFLES!!?? I don't have riflemen...Dido didn't have riflemen but there they are!! Riflemen..two squads per city..telling my catapults to get wrecked. What am I missing?

What am I missing?
Understanding how loyalty works and keeping an eye on your era score?
Loyalty link below if you want to find out more but 3 cities should have been enough if you were happy and had a good amount of food going with a governor or 2 sprinkled in.If you took the little cities rather than the big ones then yeah... trouble will brew.
The rebels are too strong, rebels were typically weakly armed but it does make a warmonger be aware of the rules as well as the weapons.

Understanding how loyalty works and keeping an eye on your era score?
Loyalty link below if you want to find out more but 3 cities should have been enough if you were happy and had a good amount of food going with a governor or 2 sprinkled in.If you took the little cities rather than the big ones then yeah... trouble will brew.
The rebels are too strong, rebels were typically weakly armed but it does make a warmonger be aware of the rules as well as the weapons.
so rather than focusing on defenses I should have focused on population to increase loyalty?

so rather than focusing on defenses I should have focused on population to increase loyalty?
Well, walls are great but TBH as Alex you should be able to defend anything with relative ease but loyalty cannot be defended with troops alone.
Before I take a city I consider if I can keep it and key things like what food I can chop in and how happy am I really are the deciding factors if you are not going to take out all the nearby big cities.

Well, walls are great but TBH as Alex you should be able to defend anything with relative ease but loyalty cannot be defended with troops alone.
Before I take a city I consider if I can keep it and key things like what food I can chop in and how happy am I really are the deciding factors if you are not going to take out all the nearby big cities.
Well I "thought" I was ready to defend..but the whole riflemen thing slapped me..Knights cant do alot against guns.

Well I "thought" I was ready to defend..but the whole riflemen thing slapped me..Knights cant do alot against guns.
It is worse if you build neighbourhoods that spawn mechanised infantry when you have muskets just because one enemy spy popped in and chatted to the locals that life could be better.
100% agree it is rough.

Sounds like you got hit with a double whammy. The city gets +20 for being the target of an emergency. When that ended and you flipped to a dark age you ended up in the hurt locker.

You encountered the riflemen/muskets or what-not because the rebels from the city will use your tech level for units.

Rebels will always spawn with the units of the most advanced era you have reached, even if you havent reached the tech for those units but have reached the era of said units through a different tech.

As already said, the loyalty system makes you think twice about when to attack, where to attack, which cities to keep, and which to raze. Once you get the hang of it you are less likely to be suddenly surprised this way but you will still have to work the loyalty system. Imo, this is the best novel system ever in the Civ franchise and is what made civ vi worth it for me.

Riflemans?
I guess you're using a mod, and that's why the cities flip so quickly and governor and garrison don't make sense. The mod maker may offer you other types of solutions but we don't know since we don't even know which mod you are using. You shall be careful on mods.

It is worse if you build neighbourhoods that spawn mechanised infantry when you have muskets just because one enemy spy popped in and chatted to the locals that life could be better.
100% agree it is rough.
Though a heathen converting apostle/general would not agree.

Riflemans?
I guess you're using a mod, and that's why the cities flip so quickly and governor and garrison don't make sense. The mod maker may offer you other types of solutions but we don't know since we don't even know which mod you are using. You shall be careful on mods.
No mods.

Top Bottom