1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

War Monger question

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Bulldog Bats, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Bulldog Bats

Bulldog Bats King

Well, I am beginning the final push. I took out two civs while friends with Denmark, but no friends left, so no real trading partners - I am on my own.

I just got a beachhead and took two cities from Siam (admit, you all want to do it to the guy). He offered me some money (no cities yet - he is still too strong) for ten turns of peace - I figured, what the heck, I can re-group my army and prepare for the next attack in 10.

When you get an offer like that, does it make more sense to do that so you can position, or does that give him more of an advantage to set up his defense, and perma-war is smarter?

2. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

That depends on your difficulty. On Immortal above I always regret taking money for peace. If you've got an AI paralyzed then keep them there until they only have sub-10-population cities left. If you take peace the AI flips back on and has 15 bombers and 10 next-era infantry within 10 turns... ok the money they gave you won't buy anything that can kill that.

3. tomplum68

tomplum68 Warlord

I would think once you have defeated their army, keep plowing ahead

4. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

I have always regretted accepting the 10 turn break. Better to keep on going, especially if you have the upper hand

5. Asklepios

Asklepios Warlord

The only time I take a 10 turn peace break is when I've made an error, overextended, and left my units at risk of being destroyed next turn. If I'm going to lose a bunch of units that would take a while to replace, and if the AI is offering a reasonable peace deal, then I'll back off to give myself a chance to reinforce and heal, then try again.

I'm perfectly aware, however, that a break almost always leaves the AI more reinforced than me, and I'm only taking on this option when I'm desperate.

6. Bulldog Bats

Bulldog Bats King

Thanks for the feedback. I took the 10 turns to reposition my artillery, then plowed ahead. Next time I will take your advise.

The last civ was a real bottleneck - literally 1 space wide on land, and he owned all the land. Bloody, but worth the result.

7. TeriXeri

TeriXeri Chieftain

It all depends what the 10 turns give you, if it's a sizeable city,that is potentially puppet/annex material, where you can heal your troops in, and reposition, a 10 turn break to move your troops isn't too bad.

For gold however, I usually skip peace offers unless it's a tight war gone wrong or in risk of losing my well-promoted units.

In my current game as germany (huge/standard speed/emperor/raging barbs/boreal), I have the upper hand in troops and tech but since there's like a 15 tile forest between me and my enemy (sweden), it took a lot of time to travel through before I got a road ready to their capital when I take it soon.

So I took 2x 10 turn breaks in trade of the rest of his cities to move/heal/upgrade my swordmen to muskets and trebuchets to cannons as I was teching up to them right then. His cap was strength 40+ so getting cannons instead of trebs help greatly.

I got like a 11 size city next to his cap at first, and in the second tradeoff (after I took another city) I got 2 smaller cities, so he only has his cap left to fight in.

The next enemy is really close to sweden, so I could afford the road/time to move there.

8. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

When to take a peace deal:

1) If it will take me ten turns to get my army in position for the final push on the capital
    2) If I wasn't really planning on attacking them anyway and I only DoW'd them to get money/cities out of them. (Only works with #1 military)
    3) If I suddenly need to defend a DoW on my flank and I can't do both.
    4) If they're offering me cities I was going to take anyway, or a city I know I can sell for huge money. (Requires understanding how AIs value cities... trickier)
    5) If they're offering tons of resources I need for happiness/troops, and I feel like the ten turns isn't going to impact my long-term strategy.

Probably a few other times I take it... like if I'm getting my ass kicked... ;)