War on Atheism

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ziggy Stardust, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

You don't count as a denomination until there's a war on you! After Women and Christmas, it's us baby yeah! :banana:

http://news.yahoo.com/atheists-around-world-suffer-persecution-discrimination-report-000945958.html

Well, sure ... "unbelievers" in Islamic countries we all know how uncivilized they are. In our glorious western ...

Ah ....

Please tell me that last paragraph are them old laws that no one pays any mind to.

2. Siderealex

Siderealex Chieftain

I want to say I remember some people part of a city council in...South Carolina I think. Tried to use laws like that to bar an atheist from the council. They ended up losing but the news coverage it got highlighted the issue.

3. Antilogic

Antilogic --

That sounds like something that should be covered by Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act (plus the 14th Amendment and incorporation doctrine), but nobody has sued over it so therefore it remains on the books.

4. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

"Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God." -Heywood Broun

5. Ziggy Stardust

So you insist there is no God?

6. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

It certainly seems one of your major themes on these forums.

7. Ziggy Stardust

I wasn't the one bringing God into this thread, you were. Hence ...

And indeed. As an atheist kid of religious parents and growing up in a religious town, I do find the subject interesting.

8. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

Sorry, I should have realized God was off limits on an athiest thread.

9. anandus

anandus Errorist

The provisions (I've quoted them below) are still being paid attention to, sometimes they are pointed to to try and unseat an elected person (like Cecil Bothwell in 2009), even though the provisions are trumped by the “No Religious Test Clause” of the United States Constitution, which is found in Article VI, paragraph 3.

The provisions (and states) in question are:

10. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

So, technically, if someone in either of those states denies the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, they shouldn't be allowed to hold office?

11. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

soon now somebody's probably going to say that freedom of religion doesn't mean freedom from religion :crazyeye:

In any case, I don't think any of these state provisions would hold up if challenged, but yeah, it's sad that many places still have such stuff in place (and I'm not singling out the US here...many European states, my own, included still have preferential treatment for religious bodies that IMHO conflict with secularism - State churches and all that for example).

12. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

And the Tories want to keep it that way, they were supposed to give the Lib Dems some House Of Lords reform as part fo the coalition but they are refusing to.

Hopefully eventually the Lib Dems and Labour will get together and make a deal so we will get an elected House Of Lords.

13. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Not really, the US Constitution forbids such legal impediments.

14. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

:mwaha: I'm only going to mug Arkansan atheists from now on!

15. Ziggy Stardust

They're easily identified.

16. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Hopefully this will carry on. Then I'll get sympathy. A lot of leftists seem to view me as the ultimate container of priviledge, but as an athiest hopefully i will get some kind of relief from the government.

17. Ziggy Stardust

You'll be spared an automatic seat in the upper house of parliament, so that's a benefit.

18. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

The sad thing is that atheists aren't a community, so we can't resist in an organized fashion as effectively as religions can.

19. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

While that is certainly a nice sounding quote, I don't think it holds up. I haven't talked about God outside of these forums or my job for anything more than five minutes in the last two or three years. I imagine the same is true for majority of atheists.

20. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

It can be hard, for me, to have sympathy for atheists in the United States who complain about discrimination against them while, at the same time, atheists make light of people's deeply held beliefs (which isn't to say that the same atheists who make light of others' beliefs are the same who are discriminated against, merely that atheists who are dismissive of the beliefs of others aren't doing the public image of atheists in general any favors). Likewise, the travails of atheists living in America seem minor compared with the occasionally violent discrimination that Sikhs, Muslims, people of color, and homosexuals sometimes face even in America.

Of course there shouldn't be laws, in the US or Iran or anywhere else, that discriminate or punish atheists simply because of their beliefs, or lack of, or however you describe it. That said, I think that the discrimination atheists face in the US, both in law and socially, is less troublesome than discrimination faced by the other groups listed above.