war on the pope

manio curio

Chieftain
Hi all,

I would like to conquer rome on rfc europe. What are the required file changes to declare war on the pope?

thanks

The game was written, and has undergone extensive testing, to ensure that the Pope is unkillable through normal methods. Rewriting game code to allow it may have unexpected consequences.

If you just want to play a scenario where you conquer Rome, then on the turn when you want to capture the city, use the Diplomacy feature of the Worldbuilder to set the Pope at war with you.

Make sure that you have units on hand that can reach, attack and capture Rome in that same turn, otherwise during the interturn the game will restore Peace and teleport your units out of Papal territory.

As there are many scripted functions for the Pope, the game may behave a little oddly at times after you kill him. Past bug reports where the Pope was somehow destroyed still had him declaring Crusades and the like. Presumably he was doing this while hiding out in some remote mountain monastery, Fisher King style.

Also, I haven't tried this myself in a full game so I don't know for sure, but it is likely that if you become unstable, the Pope may respawn.

Last edited:
What is the latest game version?

This question would be more appropriately addressed to the SVN thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/svn-version.485431/ or the Starting Information thread https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rhyes-and-fall-of-europe-starting-information.363679/

The latest general release was v1.5 in 2017. That's the version I play with.

There is an SVN version that has more recent improvements. If it ever goes to full release, it will probably be v1.7.

Source: https://svn.code.sf.net/p/rfceurope/code/RFCEurope/ChangeLog.txt
"Changes for RFCE 1.6 and 1.7:​
(1.6: relevant SVN revision (r1278) became available in december 2018)​
(1.7: released: N/A)"​

SVN Location: https://svn.code.sf.net/p/rfceurope/code/ - go into the RFCEurope folder to see the latest version (currently 1282). The SVN thread explains how to install SVN.

Last edited:
I'm a bit dissapointed that you can't 1527 the Pope ingame, due to limitations. Sad

I'm a bit dissapointed that you can't 1527 the Pope ingame, due to limitations. Sad
The mod designers did miss a trick or two - for example, the Avignon Papacy in the 14th C. - but having that while also having a Pope who could survive the sack of Rome and still be contactable is probably too much of an ask. It's true that Rome falling into foregn hands does not hinder The Pope's ability to call Crusades. It may hinder the giving of gifts of buildings and such, depending whether that is built on unique code or simply uses the standard AI gift mechanic between civs. However, the simple WB cheat I detailed above allows you to sack Rome and play on without a Pope. You just can't sack Rome and have the Pope survive. *

The simplest way to allow the player to legally "1527" the Pope in-game would probably be to make Rome unrazable and set The Pope to respawn a few turns after Rome is captured. A mechanic for this already exists in the game - the same unrest machanism that makes controlling Jerusalem a headache could be used for Papal loyalists revolting, with a high probability of the revolt succeeding. If the revolt succeeds, The Pope would respawn in Rome, and his city would be restocked with a good complement of up-to-date defenders.

However TTBOMK, development of RFCE is effectively dead, so don't expect to see that anytime soon.

* ETA: It occurs to me that hiding an unreachable 1-pop Papal city on the map might create a Papal civ that can survive the sack of Rome. You then simply flip Rome back to him a turn or two later, the implication being that you can capture Rome, but you can't keep it. There's already the little Rhye's Catapult enclosure in the Sahara, for example (the Catapult appears at 32,0); you could add a second enclosure nearby for the Papal bolthole. Or carve it out of the top right corner of Russia. Of course, the AI would probably spend the whole game trying to connect the two cities by road ...:popcorn:

Last edited:
Top Bottom