War or Peace? My attempt to learn Monarch.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by lilmeanie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. lilmeanie

lilmeanie Chieftain

Hi all! Long time lurker seeking some advice on where to go with a Monarch game.

The attached save is for Darius, Monarch diff, Pangaea, standard environment, Epic speed, no barbs (not my normal setting): View attachment Lilmeanie AD-0115.CivBeyondSwordSave

My initial intent with this game was to try for a Domination win. I founded in place, and quickly found Joao 8 tiles away. My 2nd city was placed to grab horses, and the immortal rush commenced. I kept his capital, and razed 3 other cities. I then tried to quickly fill in the now open terrain.

I did manage to get Susa (1 east of Joao's hill city) as a planned HE city, and Ecbatana as a planned commerce city. However, Charlie to my north was spamming settlers in like crazy, and Zara was encroaching from the east. I managed to drop Sardis, Bactra and Gordium in their planned locations. Tarsus was placed to block off something from Zara as I lost my planned site to him.

Now I find myself wondering what to do. I alienated Zara after he switched from Budd to Hindu at Napoleon's request. I am falling behind militarily, which doesn't seem to bode well for a planned domination victory. The best techers in the game are my two encroaching neighbor/ targets.

So here are the options that I think I have for now:

1) Build up stack and go for Charlie. I stand to gain the Buddhist shrine, reclaim some of "my" territory, and add his somewhat marginal terrain. This will likely cost a lot of hammers against his pro units and delaying (stone accelerated) walls. Also, brothers in faith unhappiness during a slower war may get a bit unruly.

2) Take it to Zara. He likely has better terrain to acquire, but he is an unknown quantity as I hadn't explored his territory before I closed our borders. A corollary is that if I don't keep all the captured cities, Charlie is gonna spam settlers into the gaps left by razing.

3) Go for a culture win. I have 3 religions available for cathedrals, I'm financial, and I certainly have 3 strong culture capable cities. The benefit is smug satisfaction at flipping my border crowding neighbors :p

What do you think? All comments, suggestions and critiques are welcome!

2. VoiceOfUnreason

VoiceOfUnreason Deity

Welcome to CivFanatics anyway.

Edit: never mind, I seem to have overlooked the save

3. cherrysnowdrop

cherrysnowdrop Chieftain

I think 1 and 2 are a little risky. I can't see your save since I don't have civ on this computer, but would you run the risk of falling behind tech or gold if you declared on either, since you need more units?

Maybe cultural would be best. Do you have a lot of religions in your civilization? Religions are the best way to gain lots of culture with the monastaries, academies, ect. Since you're financial cottage spamming would be great for it. :) Though I play on Noble, so I don't know what goes on in upper levels, aka the unknown for me. :lol:

4. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

lilmeanie, Welcome to CivFanatics! :)

Please note that the attached game requires the Buffy mod installed for it to be opened.

5. lilmeanie

lilmeanie Chieftain

Thanks for the welcomes, and yes, I should have mentioned that this game requires BUFFY.

As to the dangers of declaring, this won't happen until I expand my army (currently researching construction, building swords in Cap and unit city). My tech position is only slightly behind Charlie and Zara (much further ahead of all the others), and the financial situation is currently ok (after workers and some missionaries, cities can start building wealth as needed). I am behind in units because I spent the hammers and turns building settlers to claim the remaining open space, and whipping/building in initial infrastructure (granaries, courthouses, libraries). I am also admittedly behind in workers (I could use about 5 more) but those are up and coming very soon.

I guess my primary concern is that I lacked the proper strategic consideration for a domination win at this new harder (to me) level. Would the best course of action have been to only claim my planned unit production city (bringing me to 4 cities post-rush), get needed infrastructure, and continue churning units? In hindsight, it seems that in the face of an imperial city spammer, that would have been wise. I suppose I could have DoW'd, cut his copper, then pressed the attack with more immortals. Since he hadn't dropped the extra four cities yet, I may have caught his archer/ settlers in the field, and would have been attacking relatively softer cities. In expanding myself, I think I may have lost any momentum I had.

If this is true, what is the best way to recover that momentum? Or would recovering the military advantage be too costly, suggesting a different VC as the best course of action?

In the interest of easy evaluation, here are some screenshots of my current situation:

Territory overview:

City overview:

Financial overview:

Tech overview:

Military overview:

I just realized that Zara is mobilizing, probably against me. I cancelled a wine tribute that I was supplying to him, which might have triggered that.