War weariness / cede city mechanic & oversight

Mustakrakish

In 'Node' We Trust
So I noticed something I consider an oversight in this mechanic. If you don't know about the mechanic, this is how it works:

Unless at the peace table you force AI to "cede" the city or cities you took, they will be "less productive" and suffer huge war weariness penalties during war (any war, which I find curious). If they "cede" them, the cities act as your own, no penalties, BUT you get a huge "You control our city" penalty with AI, which I haven't noticed being there, when you DON'T force them to "cede" them. Not sure how I feel about that, but it seems it's there because the AI can no longer "liberate" it as it handed you all rights to it, so maybe it's balanced.

Here's what I consider an oversight. I conquer one city from Spain and force him to cede it. So far so good. Another war breaks out. I decide to take the remaining 2. So I first take Madrid and proceed to the last one taking Spain out.
Here's what happens... Madrid forever acts as occupied, because it was never ceded. Toledo, the last city DOESN'T, because there's no one to um... "cede" it from. So if you want every city to be a normal productive individual and you want to take someone out, you need to:

1. Beat them to one last city
2. Force to cede all cities
3. Wait for some kind of casus belli (if you care about that) to take the last one out.

Clearly there's a little oversight here. Either Madrid shouldn't be "occupied" any longer, or if you argue that it should, then by same logic Toledo should too.

there's a bug wrt occupied status and peace deals.

If you take a city, and do not hit the notification to select what to do with it (raze/liberate/keep) but do make peace (or possibly in this case wipe out via another city) then yes, the city will be forever occupied.

so taking multiple cities on the last turn means to ensure you make the decisions about all cities before the last one is taken.

Hmm... but there was a few turn between so that's not the case. The problem is if you don't "cede" cities from them before wiping out, those cities will remain "occupied" while the last city you take, won't.

Weird...

Top Bottom