War weariness not disappearing

smone

Chieftain
Hello,

in my recent save as Trajan, my war weariness is not going away although I'm not in any war for last ~20 turns. -5 to -7 amenities in my main cities make impossible for me to win the game I would say. I would attach a save file, but dunno how since this is my first post on this forum. Help appreciated.

second that. In my case it not only did not go away after peace deal but became worse which resulted in multiple barb spawns near my cities. Seemed like my cities did not know I am not at war anymore

yea same is happening to me and its only getting worse, might have to abandon that game. its very annoying

At first I had an idea that may be somewhere there is a city state I am at war with that I don't know. But that proved to be wrong. I even gifted away the conquered city-state that I took from AI but that still didn't help.

The warmonger modifier was about -200-something and in one of the threads someone mentioned his value as being 255 (!) so I guess it is a bug similar to Gandhi-loving-nukes - may be something goes wrong with integer numbering system

yea same is happening to me and its only getting worse, might have to abandon that game. its very annoying
Yeah, tell me about it. Its annoying.
I tried to submit a ticket to a 2K support, but they don't have the best ticket system. I'm not even sure if I did it right.

I'll just play with the game and stop playing deity until the more serious bugs are fixed. Did you guys try multiplayer? Is it any good?

Same problem.

To be more specific.

I was playing as Scythia in emperor, small map.

I was fighting versus congo and a city state.

I captured the last Congolese city. City state made peace immediately and I became the suzerain

War weariness remains the same 10 turns after

War weariness takes a long time to dissipate, I suspect it's calculated much in the same way as warmonger hate was in civ5. The cure is not to have it accumulate as much by not fighting outside your borders. In my last game took 100 turns for it to go away and that's me fighting a "Imma take your cap as compensation" defensive war.

edit: according to the manual zoos and stadiums provide amenities regionally to all city-centers within 6 tiles, parhaps that might help mitigate any weariness

Last edited:
It happened to me aswell.
Emperor difficulty, IA had a carpet of unit I had to go through.
Since each fight provide war weariness, it had up quite fast.

When peace finally came, his ex-capital had for each pop -0.5 amenties from war weariness. It stayed for a LONG TIME. Around 100 turns. On my self-settled cities, war weariness dropped out faster, around 50 turns.
Also, in my cities, war weariness dropped in a single turn, whereas in conquered ones, it dropped progressivly.

It was annoying, I had to build a lot of entertainment district with zoo and stadium.

I started a topic in General discussion because i didn't know if it was a bug or a game mechanic. In my first hours i declared war against India and when they propose a peace treaty, that i accept, my war weariness had never decreased. Late in the game China declares me and again after a peace treaty, this time my war weariness diminish (all cities in 0). It must be a bug. Right?

Last edited:
I don't want to cry a river here. I just want to state my opinion:

It doesn't matter if it is a bug or intended behaviour.
From the game perspective, it makes no sense.

I was the target of the war declaration. I cannot really prevent that from happening, because I'm not able to keep up with AI army production (Deity. Again, I'm not crying, just stating the circumstances. It is my choice to play that). I successfully defended and killed probably 20+ knights (and some other units) while I lost only ~3 units. He gave up and gave me his second best city (best if not counting capital), because he was losing at that point anyway. I accepted, because I wanted to focus on the other things and I wanted the war weariness to tick down.

If that mechanic is intended, its really stupid. What sense does it make to be punished for being a target of a war declaration and winning and receiving his second best city with insane production and wonders?
Shouldn't my civilization be happy at that point?

What it does from the game perspective is that the tech leader extends his lead and I cannot do anything about it. And I'm not able to keep up, because of war weariness with some other civilization, in the war I clearly won.

I'll add my experience to the pool of knowledge on this issue...

This was in a multiplayer game on Prince difficulty.
I was targeted with a war declaration at around turn ~50. I eventually defeated the nation that declared war on me and my war weariness on my main city was -7. As I progressed throughout the game, it worsened to -10. Like most of you, I thought that I was still at war with some other nation or city state, but after investigating I confirmed I was NOT at war with anyone.

So either coincidentally or by some weird mechanic, the war weariness went down (very quickly) and eventually disappeared after my friend who was in the game went to war with some of the other city states/nations on the map. I think we were around turn ~150-200.

So to me, it seems one of two things might have happened.
1. For some reason, the war state persisted on a nation/citystate even though the game was stating that I wasn't at war. After the defeat(removal) of the culprit nation/citystate, the war weariness was eventually removed.
2. It takes a super long time (maybe 75 turns or more) for war weariness to be removed.

Haven't played multiplayer yet but I wonder how this mechanic will affect it. If it's so weird in single player would it spoil the multiplayer experience?

So it is pretty much like the title says. If I go to war or war gets declared on me no matter what I do the WW just keeps goeing up. Even a 100 turns since peace in the only war I ever had, it was up to -9 and still rising. This seems to happen every time I play SP. It makes the game unplayable.

After saving and reloading the game this bug went away for cities that I founded myself. All acquired cites (Yes they were "ceded" to me by my opponent or outright traded for peace by my opponent, in the cases where the opponent still existed) have WW that does not go away and slowly increases.

So you don't see this bug (permanently) if you do not ever take cities.

Same happens to me. I play deity, so basically every AI hates me. Had wars throughout most of the game (all were defensive wars, except one, when in turn ~10 I stole settler from Barbarossa and he didn't agree to peace until turn ~215 when I destroyed him, so he offered me almost all of his cities) So I am finally at peace with every nation and city state, 20+ turns passed and war weariness only grew from that moment.

OK an update:WW briefly went awayand then it came back. I noticed that other civs went to war.it's got to be an index thing with cities. It may be because I razed one city? are any of you guys seen this in a game where no city has been razed?

Haven't played multiplayer yet but I wonder how this mechanic will affect it. If it's so weird in single player would it spoil the multiplayer experience?

I just got out of a MP game today where war weariness wouldn't seem to disappear. I was playing as Germany, and at about turn 60-ish another player as Rome declared war on me. After destroying his army on the defensive, and then a long protracted advance, I took all his cities and ended the war. About 100-or-so turns later I noticed my war weariness seemed to be increasing, I had numerous "rebellions". I had built entertainment districts, arenas, zoos, the Colosseum, and Alhambra -- not to mention all my luxuries -- during the course (and after) the war. Despite this my main cities were still getting -7 happiness from war weariness. It was really effecting my end-game.

Had this happen too. In a game England surprised DoW me after settling some crap cities on my "continent" (i was alone with some CS but this was a continent map). After i killed tons of spearman and chariots and lost a few units to some surprising frigates she asked for peace, throwing a big city in the deal. I took both her crap cities on my continent instead as i had a lot of unhappiness.
Now it's been a lot of turns since we made peace and i still have WW that doesn't seem to disappear.

Looking at Player_WarWeariness.csv in the logs folder, i can see the -2000 drop when we made peace. I was at 18338 war weariness at that time (that's -45 amenities!) and she was at 29064 (-72) according to the formula pascalis gave here
WW kept dropping at the expected -200/turn until it reached 14938 (-37 amenities) and then apparently stopped there. No new line is added to Player_WarWeariness.csv and my cities still receive a lot of negative amenities. I didn't count how many turns passed but definitely several dozen and i should have lost at least 1/3 of that accumulated WW.

I saved the game. If reloading doesn't fix the issue, i'll upload it here.

I am having this problem today. Was at war for a while with Scythia and noticed weariness was climbing. Therefore I finished what I needed to do and peaced out. I have now been at peace with every remaining Civ and City State for around 15 turns and the weariness number isn't falling...in fact it some places it is climbing. Result is a never ending spawn of revolts, which while easy to deal with, just keep respawning. Nothing I do seems to get weariness to fall. Considering I was about to launch into space and win it's completely wrecked the whole game. No point in continuing to play if the weariness will never drop and revolts continue in an infinite loop of irritation. Civilopedia says weariness should fall quickly when not at war...err...wrong.

Top Bottom