1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

War with Spaniards

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by 2metraninja, Feb 27, 2013.

1. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Spaniards continue to be enigmatic in their way of conducting war. Not a single unit can be seen on the horizon. That is great for us. We have 1 more turn for preparation. This means +3 or +4 units on the front. I can only wish them "good luck" if they hope to produce and bring units to the front faster than us :)

Spoiler :

2. 2metraninja

OK, here is the tactical draft for actions on the north front which I believe is most endangered, as we saw there the biggest Spanish units concentration.

Spoiler :

In green letters are counted/named our existing and future units and the actions needed they to be produced as whipping. (iHt110) means that this unit will be in Hansa in turn 110 to be ready to defend in t111 if the Spaniards dare to attack us.

I am not sure and I maybe was quick to be happy that Spaniards did not showed a single unit and this gave us 1 turn more. After looking more at the map I found a way that their advancement is not slowed by a turn because they are not placed their slow units at the plain hill (marked with white t108) this turn. If they had put their slow units at the cows, they will not be slowed further turn as they will follow the red indication and will be again able to storm Hansa at turn beginning of t111. If they did not do that and simply waited to gather in Kwa Dukuza their spread out units before advancing in stack, this will means they are able to attack Hansa at earliest date t112, which will give us more defenders there (all the marked with (iHt111) ).

Yellow indicates workers movements. I will try to chop a forest for 20h to get 1 more archer in Hansa while covered by axe and chariot in case there are chariots in the jungles (very unlikely) or the Spaniards try their luck with attack impi (shock+2str) vs axe. Archer to defend on turn 110 in Hansa can be really neat, as the city is on hill. Then I will chop 1 forest for either Mantra or Raj depending on what we see Spaniards have thrown at us.

From this plan it means we will have 5 axes, 1 archer, 1 spear and 2 chariots behind the city walls in Hansa at the earliest date of Spanish attack beginning of t111.

Unfortunately we will need to whip our lovely Lana working cottages, but that is life and this is what war takes. I have set things to get to Construction 1 turn earlier for both catapults 1 turn earlier (if Spaniards waste 1-2 turns we might not need to hide behind the walls, but give them decisive battle and annihilate them at the gates of Hansa) and for bridges 1 turn earlier. We will need to build some wealth for this of course.

Now to the south front.

3. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Plan for the north looks really good. I would go for the cat over the archer in Raj. Hansa can hold out without the extra archer. And we might be able to go on the offensive around 112-113 if they send just a tiny stack.

4. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Where will we get the extra gold to finish Construction at 60%:science:? Right now it seems like we are 55:gold: short

5. 2metraninja

Me too of course, but things can be grim by then and we still to look for way to save Hansa instead of attack. My hope is Spaniards to waste 1-2-3 more turns gathering in KwaDukuza and we to meet them with catapult salvos of our own. I am rushing to Construction for the same reason. 1 turn and 2 catapults can mean a lot of difference.

Lets think for holding the line for now. Their cities wont run away :)

Actually it is (2*47)-65=29 gold we need to keep things as they are and we get Construction in 2. So we need to produce 2 turns by 15 gold each. Those are 3-4 cities by 4-5 hammers. Those hammers wont be lost as whole and wont hurt our war preparations much, as in cities with only 4-5 hammers output we would had not produced any unit to reach the front in time anyway. Of course numbers will change a bit after the whips, but good thing is we will see the change and can do whatever is needed. We have small reserves in the form of 2 scientists slots not filled in Mantra (thats 7 bpt) and some other cities where we can emphasize on commerce to get more coins or to put all hands on hammers to produce more wealth. Also, whips (especially in Lana) can well decrease the maintenance and this to compensate for the 1-2-3 non-worked cottages. Also, we will have pop growth in some cities, so we can have more money produced in few cities.

6. 2metraninja

And the south:

Spoiler :

Will start first with one speculation which we are secure from. In orange is what I would had done if I was playing the Spaniards and I knew Indians have only axes around. I would had no way to know at which turn the borders will pop but would had the chance hoping for the best, so 1 turn later popping would had meant they capture Abhi. Right now it is not possible, because culture will pop-up just after the turn switch, making this road no longer useable by our enemies. And giving us better visibility btw.

In red is worst case scenario for us. If Spaniards knew how to count tiles and know what visibility each unit and terrain have, they would had knew we cant see where we actually cant see now and would had sent their stack of 2 chars and an impi to threaten our supplying lines (axes wandering in the open assuming there are no enemies so deep in our territory), or to threaten workers chopping/roading, or threaten to attack Lana (to draw away units which can be sent to Hansa) in conjunction with actual mass attack from their north group against Hansa.

We may take that risk and simply put our two workers to road east of them. In var.2 we will lose those two workers and the axe4 which will be guarding them. If the Spaniards are not on the red writing square or they dont decide for var.2, this is our best move. This road built will allow us to get char1 and axe4 in time in Abhi. But if Spaniards are at the red tile already? Are we willing to take that chance?

7. 2metraninja

No comments or ready ideas on the south front?

8. SilentConfusion

SilentConfusion Emperor

I think it unlikely that they have their troops in that one spot, from what I've seen. I feel willing to risk that, especially if 2metraninja thinks it is worth the risk.

9. 2metraninja

I have second plan for that road which lessens the risk or at least makes us risk only 1 worker instead of 2, but wanted to hear more thoughts.

10. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

I'm thinking they might threaten Lana to draw troops away from Hansa... can we defend Lana if they show up with 2 chariots and an Impi?

11. 2metraninja

I think yes. We wont send away the spear and we will have one more axe born in Lana. Plus the warrior which is already there. So we have to have really bad luck to lose Lana.

12. 2metraninja

We can have our char1 from the south in Lana too. We can save money and upgrade the warrior in Lana to spear too. So basically, no chance for them to get Lana. But yes, they will draw our attention there and weaken our group at Hansa.

13. 2metraninja

OK, my second plan is to move 1 worker from the south group (6)-(9) this turn to take a look if the red square holds any Spanish troops and then play depending on the situation. In the best for us case scenario, there is not a single Spaniard, I move the worker (1) wasting his whole turn, but we are at least sure the Spaniards cant reach var.2 tile next turn. If there is a single Impi, I return the worker again and cover var.2 with axe4. If there are all 3 units then ... I dont know - try to run back to var.2 again and prepare all 4 axes and the chariot for ambush at var.2 tile.

If there is no one in the red tile, despite 1 worker will lose 1 whole turn, it wont slow our plans. Road will be ready with 1wt this turn + 1wt in the next, while the other worker starts chopping on t109 and we finish the chop at t110 with 2wt.

14. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

They will probably just keep their units in the south on the defensive. And if they do attack in the south it will be towards Abhi or Lana. So we can risk the 2 workers I think.

15. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Can you please summarize or provide good link?

16. 2metraninja

17. 2metraninja

Played the turn according to what we discussed yesterday with the small change on South front that I used our worker Thirteen
    Spoiler :
    to check the Red tile. Just ас we hoped there are no Zulus there and we can proceed with the plan of building road and getting axe4 and char1 in Abhi in time. Maybe Cav is right that Spaniards will use their units in the South only for defense. When you said that last night, it sounded very reasonable to me. They knew we have at least 3 axes near Abhi and they might be afraid of them and thats why produced chariots there.

With the current turn newly born units we are surpassing Spanish power confidently:

and we are already number 3 in power (most probably only behind Germans (No.1) and RB (No.2).

Note that Uciv's last turn whips seems to were units, as their power jumped high too.

18. 2metraninja

I've never seen such activity from the Spaniards. They logged THREE times right after the turn switched and spent cumulative about half an hour in the game without even ending their turn.

19. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Whoa, wait a sec... who is worker Thirteen? ...and where can i get her number? :D

20. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

:lol::pimp:

It seems like Spaniards are still ahead of us in the power graph from the pic you posted. We are 175 and they are at 180 is that right?