War with Spaniards

In the power graph we're red and they're light blue. Looking closely, it appears they leveled off a bit this turn and are currently even with UCiv.

Spaniards just ended turn so I logged in to take a look. Based on their activity, I figured this would be the turn they move in their big attack force.

Spoiler :

Oh, guess not. They've got one impi on that hill there to keep an eye on us, but no offensive stack yet.

I went ahead and outlined a tile that they could move to that would be pretty dangerous to us since they could threaten Hansa or Lana (or even Mantra) with 2-movers. If they bring along their catapults, then it will be a slow journey for them. I hope they don't get smart and re-road that desert tile (or if they do, I hope they forget they need to bring 3 workers to do it).

:lol::pimp:

It seems like Spaniards are still ahead of us in the power graph from the pic you posted. We are 175 and they are at 180 is that right?

We are red in that graph and they are blue (not the blue for MAX). They were above us for a few turns, but we are back ahead according to that graph.

EDIT: X-post with Yossarian. What he said. Interesting about the lone Impi. Is it a distraction? Do they mean to attack in the south right after showing in the north? Not sure with them. Their potentially amateur status makes them more unpredictable. If their play was more solid, we could look at what their best moves would be and expect them to do something similar, but it's hard to tell if these guys are going to play the best move for them or some other move and that makes them more unpredictable.

Could be, or could be disorganization. We should be able to see UCiv tech soon.

I've been thinking about what SpAp is really trying to do here and I have three hypotheses on this. One is assuming that they aren't very adept. Other assumes that they are very cunning. And the last is assuming that they are kind of average.

First, if they are not very good in MP warfare they could be grossly underestimating our capability to beat them back. If this is the situation I think that every action they've taken kind of makes sense. They believe that their few catapults and Impi/Chariot combination actually is enough to beat us in our home turf. They DoW'd us when we confronted them, not wanting us to spy any more on their troop movements and now they are trying to wing it the best they can.

On the other hand, if they are about average players it is possible that they mainly want to test us. They want to see how we respond to their "unexpected" DoW and will only really attack if we show apparent weakness. This would explain their curious DoW message that kind of leaves them easy way out of the war. If this is the case, we should receive a message from them when it becomes obvious that can build an army that not only can defend against their attacks, but can also significantly threaten them as well.

The last option assumes that they are actually very cunning (admittedly a trait they have not displayed that much). In this scenario they are hoping to wage a phony war against us to serve as distraction. They DoW, move their units about, make some skirmishes along the border and maybe sarcrifice a couple of units for the appearance. All the while they have a perfect excuse to build up their army since they are in war. Now since they see that we can build up an army of our own, they just keep building up until they think that they have big enough an army. Then they contact us, say that they don't want to fight us anymore and they suggest a NAP for 30 - 50 turns. And when we accept they'll take their big stack of units and move them against another neighbour who was happy enough to concentrate the economical development when SpAp was waging a war on the other side of the world.

Now, I must admit that the last scenario is a bit of a stretch but you never know. However, I personally believe that they either are testing waters with us, or they really don't know what they are actually doing.

We should be able to see UCiv tech soon.

Next turn, I believe. We're 2 ep's short, and we're putting 4 on them this turn. They haven't increased their own spending as far as I can tell. Spaniards also have not turned on Espy against us, so we can still see their graphs, but we're still 1 point away from losing them.

Next turn, I believe. We're 2 ep's short, and we're putting 4 on them this turn. They haven't increased their own spending as far as I can tell. Spaniards also have not turned on Espy against us, so we can still see their graphs, but we're still 1 point away from losing them.

Any guesses why Spaniards have not started putting EP on us?

They haven't thought about it or they keep forgetting to.

Or they're actually geniuses and they're using a war with us to justify a military build-up against another team, which is where their ep's are going.

But really, they haven't thought about it or the keep forgetting.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but thiking about some of our conspiracy theories with respect to the Spaniards, one of our own occurs to me. This War with the Spaniards is exactly the excuse we need to engage in massive arming to prepare for the real conflict with RB. Maybe, just maybe, we can use this war to get a big head start on building military, so that by the time RB realizes "Hey! Those b@stard CFCers don't need all this HUGE powergraph to kill the puny Spaniards... And why havent they won the d@mn War by now... Oh S#!t!... It's because they were using it as an excuse to build an army to attack us!" ... It will be too late... It's a longshot, but maybe with a headstart plus one (or two) allies, we can do this.

Anyway I know future wars are a little off topic for this thread...

:) Phoney war to give you good excuse for arming and not alarm your real victim is nice tool. Spaniards gave us perfect excuse. Too bad it is really a long shot to plan this at this moment.

What about war weariness - can we control it by avoiding actual fight? 'Mids would allow us to switch to Police State, if needed :D

I have found very good article on WW and it seemed that killing and losing units at enemy territory is what makes for most of it. But t175 is just too far away to let Spaniards live to there so we can use them for excuse for military build-up.

Is there any risk of them trying to sneak a squad around in the fog to our north and try to strike behind our lines, so to speak?

By the way, I like the phoney war theory. 3 turns of a war they declared and nobody's shown up yet. That's quite something.

Is there any risk of them trying to sneak a squad around in the fog to our north and try to strike behind our lines, so to speak?

Not much really. We know their army composition and there are mountains, so they must walk big big walk to get to us without we seeing them.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but thiking about some of our conspiracy theories with respect to the Spaniards, one of our own occurs to me. This War with the Spaniards is exactly the excuse we need to engage in massive arming to prepare for the real conflict with RB. Maybe, just maybe, we can use this war to get a big head start on building military, so that by the time RB realizes "Hey! Those b@stard CFCers don't need all this HUGE powergraph to kill the puny Spaniards... And why havent they won the d@mn War by now... Oh S#!t!... It's because they were using it as an excuse to build an army to attack us!" ... It will be too late... It's a longshot, but maybe with a headstart plus one (or two) allies, we can do this.

Anyway I know future wars are a little off topic for this thread...

If they did not come to their senses that we are more than likely to attack at the end of the NAP, then I question their playing skills, which I don't, so I doubt they will fall for that one.

The fact stands that war with a third party could be the purpose of troop build-up by us. They will completely understand that troop build-up by us for whatever reason could be dangerous to them and when we do not wish to extend NAP (if they're not planning on attacking us right after the NAP, they will ask us for an extension well before the current one ends I'm sure) they will definitely know that they must secure their cities from us. During the build-up they may not know they are being built explicitly for them and they will have to speculate, but after our NAP they will know they have to be able to withstand an attack by us. They will also prepare for the possibility of being dog-piled because that's what they would do against another team who was score leader. It is still slightly better to have an obvious other purpose for our troop build-up as this forces them to speculate instead of know whether our troops are coming and any uncertainty in their forum is better than none at all.

In my opinion, the best way to surprise RB is if we can convince RB that the teams that are most likely to dog-pile them are too disorganized or annoyed at each other to launch an effective joint assault or if we can convince them that we have mis-synchronized our attack. They might feel relief and make a mistake if they think we made a mistake in organizing our assault.

Now when we have what it would take us to defend against possible Spaniards attack at Hansa, I want to make one of our axes in Hansa - the one with 7xp points a double woodsman and to send it in the jungle north of Hansa to watch for both Sapniards and Uciv units approaching. It must be nearly indestructible if we move it 1 tile at a time and keep it in the jungles. The only thing which can threaten it is group of 2-3-4 double-woodsman enemy axes or even more Impis. And the info in advance what comes trough the jungles we can use great.

Top Bottom