War with Spaniards

I think that is a good idea, but what about a Shock chariot? That could kill even the WoodII Axe pretty easily right? Or does SpAp not have any chariots?

Here is the answer to this:

It must be nearly indestructible if we move it 1 tile at a time and keep it in the jungles.
By moving it one tile at a time, we will have 1 move if it happens that we see chariots in the next tile, so we can retreat it to safety. Chariots cant get Woodsman, so they cant follow us in the jungle and kill us.

According to this graph

Spaniards had increase of 22 (thousands soldier points). We had like 20 ourselves from what I counted examining the file in photoshop with pixels. Lets see if my counting fits with actual numbers.

We had Construction for 4k, archer for 3k and 2 axes for 12k. We also got one pop growth in Indira and one in Raj for added 1k power, so all fits. I went and checked in our turn report that we had 179k power last turn and the APT mode site tells us we have 195k this turn, so this is correct.

This makes 22k for Spaniards quite accurate number. What this 22k can consist of? They got 1 pop increase I think, so that could have gave them 1k power or maybe not if it was the odd number (we can check this out). Those 22k seems to me like 2 axes and 2 catapults easily.

Oh, as I was writing this and checking numbers forth and back, I saw Spaniards have just ended turn, so I will log in to check and report what is the situation in 1-2 hours. If anyone can do it earlier, that would be great too :)

Well, well, well... Spaniards showed at last. They showed at least decent tactical skill to use the cow-tile I mentioned earlier to shorten their slow movers travel with 1 turn without showing them after we pillaged the road.

Their Northern stack consists of 4 catapults, 2 axes, 1 impi and 1 chariot. Not bad, especially if we keep in mind they can reinforce with 2-movers next turn too if they have them at the cow tile already and to join their main group wherever it ends the next turn.

Our own North group of armies consists of 8 axes, 2 chariots, 1 spear and 1 archer.

The earliest date of Spaniards concentrated attack (including their catapults) can be in the beginning of t112 at Hansa. If it happens that they go there (tile SE of Hansa) next turn (t111) I will whip the city walls in Hansa, so they are up in the beginning of t112 when they can attack at earliest. I will also fill the city with army and I think they will not try to attack hill city with walls and equal numbers of defenders inside.

When our city walls are up, Spaniards will have 3 options to choose from.

One option is to attack anyway and hope for the best. This will end really bad for them and even if they win 2-3 battles destroying few of our units, our counter-attack will sweep them away.

If they feel confident we have no power and courage to attack them, and they think they can still win after long siege us(which is what I think they will do), they will stand there and start to bombard our 50% defense and waiting for more reinforcements, which will take them like forever with only 4 catapults.

Their third (and most reasonable option if they knew what is going on btw) is to just run for their lives and retreat.

We can have 1 catapult produced next turn in Mantra to be able to attack at SEH tile at t112 and one other catapult ready to attack there at turn 113. With those 2 catapults we will have all the power we need to give them decisive battle and annihilate them in the open. I have to check and see how we can catch them if they decide to run.

Another possibility is they try to threaten Lana with possibly sending reinforcements from the south front. We will need to check this possibility and exclude this before proceeding.

Heh I'll admit, I scoffed when I saw their stack.

I agree with the whipping of the walls should they threaten Hansa next turn. Should we keep the bulk of our stack outside of their view, but still in range to counterattack? This might goad them into attacking immediately at terrible odds or give them confidence to set siege, giving us time to throw two or three catapults at them and mop them up with axes.

Should we keep the bulk of our stack outside of their view, but still in range to counterattack?
This is my idea too. We must not scare them away. We want this decisive battle. We need that Great General :) And we need to send a message to the world.

It looks like the cow 2S1W of Hansa is our best staging tile. That will keep us out of sight and allow us to reinforce Lana too, if they make a move south for that city.

We should assume they have a second stack of Impis + Chariots in the fog ready to join the main stack next turn. It shouldn't be anything our defenders can't handle.

I start to think Spaniards will try to pillage our cottages near Lana. Why otherwise they went on the flat land instead on the safety of the desert hill? Is it just bad move again? I never though it is hard to play against inexperienced players too just because you never can tell is it just that they play loose or there is a tactical trick concealed.

As for their reinforcements, I expect 2-3 more impies and 1-2 chariots.

Cows between Hansa and Lana are ok spot, but lets just hope Spaniards go for Hansa instead of Lana. Because if the went for Lana, the cows are no longer that great of a spot. They will pillage our precious cottages for 1-2 turns as we will be forced to maneuver to avoid fighting over the river.

I want to use the two workers in the South to build a road 9 of the chariot and explore what lies 9-9 the cows.

Spoiler :

Depending on what we see we can either just move the chariot back 1 or to reinforce the tile with 2 more axes.

I want to road and chop the silk forest near Raj so we have 2 catapults produced in the beginning of the next turn 111.

Spoiler :

Then will move units so they are as much as close to both Hansa and Lana without possibly showing them. Do you guys think it is good idea to not show a spear in Hansa (Spaniards can attack it with chariot next turn) and leave it guarded by only archer and 2 axes to try to lure them in there where we will have way better time fighting them?

Do you guys think it is good idea to not show a spear in Hansa (Spaniards can attack it with chariot next turn) and leave it guarded by only archer and 2 axes to try to lure them in there where we will have way better time fighting them?
Does the archer have any promotions or fortification turns? Even if it does not, the odds for our win are almost 80 %, so I'd be very surprised if they attack the archer next turn.

BTW, I strongly suspect that they are out to attack a city, not to pillage. The stack composition would be very odd for pillaging. So if they are out to attack Lana, they most probably move 1-1. IMO the cows is the best staging area for this turn. From there I believe we can move to any relevant square next turn.

My opinions:

Road in south: Yes, go for it. I don't think we'll see something in that fog, but the knowledge is worth it.

Chopping silk: Yes, go for it. Another catapult that much sooner might tip the tide quicker and allow us to capture Spanish cities sooner.

Showing spear: Hide it. We'd have a Chariot vs. Archer fight, but worth it in the long run if it saves some cottages from being whacked. If they head for cottages first anyway, spear could be 1 turn closer to Lana anyway.

Does the archer have any promotions or fortification turns?
5% trench bonus after the turn switch :) We have no single barrack in our empire btw. This must change soon I guess :) But yes, you are right that they wont normally dare to attack with their chariot. 4.4 vs 6.15 + 1 first strike. At least I hope they dont decide to act irrational and have good luck.

Yes, their stack composition is like city capturing definitely, but they might decide otherwise if they feel endangered.

So if they are out to attack Lana, they most probably move 1-1
That is quite good prediction. I never though of 1-1 myself up to now. But I would have suspected there is a trap somewhere and equal power when on enemy territory bodes nothing good.

IMO the cows is the best staging area for this turn.
Yes, cow is best for now I agree.

My opinions:

Road in south: Yes, go for it. I don't think we'll see something in that fog, but the knowledge is worth it.

Chopping silk: Yes, go for it. Another catapult that much sooner might tip the tide quicker and allow us to capture Spanish cities sooner.

Showing spear: Hide it. We'd have a Chariot vs. Archer fight, but worth it in the long run if it saves some cottages from being whacked. If they head for cottages first anyway, spear could be 1 turn closer to Lana anyway.

spear could be 1 turn closer to Lana anyway.
This was my main reason for preferring to keep the spear in reserve, because if Hansa have archer, Lana have nothing to protect it from chariots.

Very good thinking and reasoning overall.

One more thing which Captain Sommers told me back in the darkest days and nights of our titanic fight with the monstrous Sirius in MTDG2, I always have to remind myself is that the enemies dont see everything as clear as us and they cant plan as we are planning seeing everything. Spaniards might not even think about heading for Lana as they dont see what we have there. So maybe I am just over-paranoid about it :)

Withholding the spear would be like committing suicide for fear of death IMO. They only have one chariot, if they attack with it next turn seeing only an archer in Hansa, then the spear is essentially wasted.

Just to confirm, SpAp does not have Alphabet, do they? If they do we should assume some spies in our territory as well.

Withholding the spear would be like committing suicide for fear of death IMO. They only have one chariot, if they attack with it next turn seeing only an archer in Hansa, then the spear is essentially wasted.

This I expect to change very quick next turn by them bringing reinforcements. Also, once we put it in Hansa, we lose the chance to sent it in time in Lana.

Just to confirm, SpAp does not have Alphabet, do they? If they do we should assume some spies in our territory as well.

This is highly unlikely. They have GNP of 20 as of this current turn. I expect they barely teched Construction before go broke.

Keep the spear ready to support Lana. Why didn't they move to the desert hill? Because our juicy gold city of Lana could be the real target. Perhaps they are thinking they can be sneaky and take one of our key cities to use as a bargaining chip. If there objective is a limited war they might think they can get concessions for returning our valuable gold city.

Top Bottom