1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

War!

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Jayne, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Time is short, so I'll start a discussion about how we want to proceed on a military front, then maybe CivGeneral can take over and post a poll when he visits the forum. (If nothing has been posted by 1400GMT Friday, I will post a poll quickly before I leave for my weekend away).

Please discuss the following areas, and anything else you can think of:

Should we be building legions in lieu of archers? Or elephants? We'll have them soon.
    Should we be building dips as defensive agents?
    Should we be sending triremes with dips to the Vikings and/or Indians?
    Should we be sending empty triremes on exploratory missions in dangerous areas?
    Should we be setting up embassies so we know what we are dealing with?
    Do we need to patrol the mountain region near LC?
    Do we want to send a trireme along the pole with a dip to look for other AI's?

Both the Indians and Vikings appear to still be in depotism. This means they will be cheap to purchase at the moment. Maybe we need to locate a remote Indian city to subvert, and send some of our own defensive units with the dip. Or even find an uninhabited bit of land to build a town in.

2. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Well rather than having militayr patrols north west of LC, we could just build the city next to the whales on the coast and stock it with a couple of archers to dissuade any landing parties that might chance their arm.
    I'm tempted to wait for crusaders before starting to make some inroads in Viking and Indian territory. I'd like a barracks in LC as this has great production potential and we can get some units going before changing to a representative government. We can use Castle Jayne and this new proposed city next to the NW whale to build a couple of boats and then send the Indians some holy war! With, er dips of course. :)

3. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

We should also seriously consider building a barracks to produce some veteran units. LC perhaps? Others?

Also, for the sake of efficiency, we should attempt to build units for specific purposes. Namely: elephants and legions for offense, archers for forward defense, phalanxes for defensive garrisons, and warriors for lower risk domestic crowd control. This would save many build turns.

Question: is a trireme built in a barracks city a veteran?

4. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Nope. Only land units.

5. gonzo_for_civ

gonzo_for_civ Chicken Walker Retired Moderator

"Should we be building legions in lieu of archers? Or elephants? We'll have them soon."

Legions unless forced to build otherwise.

"Should we be building dips as defensive agents?"

Yes. Simple answer. :)

"Should we be sending triremes with dips to the Vikings and/or Indians?"

YES!! BY ALL MEANS YES YES!!! :D

"Should we be sending empty triremes on exploratory missions in dangerous areas?"

I haven't had the opprotunity of looking at the save yet so I'll say no comment.

"Should we be setting up embassies so we know what we are dealing with?"

Never a bad idea, knowledge IS power.

"Do we need to patrol the mountain region near LC?"

No comment.

"Do we want to send a trireme along the pole with a dip to look for other AI's?"

Again, no comment :)

And for those confused, yes gonzo has rejoined the civ2 game of demo 2. I have a post on page one or 2 of the registry from a while ago. I've decided the civ3 demo game is more trouble and red tape than it's worth so it's back to good ol' civ2.

6. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

I always knew you were a wise man Gonzo. ;)

7. gonzo_for_civ

gonzo_for_civ Chicken Walker Retired Moderator

Well what can I say?

oohh...

I'd like to thank my mom, my friends. My civ2(both copies, MGE, FW, scenarios, and even the scenarios i've downloaded) and I'd like to thank duke o' york for being such a nice guy and kicking anyone's ass who's complained about me in site feedback for the last 3 mos. and for duke for your work in the demo game.

I'd also like to thank certain civ3 demogame people for helping me want to come back here and of could Sid Meier and Microprose for making civ2, the greatest game of all time. I'd also like to thank the makers of civ3, for including an unscratched copy of civ2 in the box and also the mongols for being my favorite civ. One more important person has to be thunderfall for the site and telefragged for the nice crappy hosting. Thank you forums for being up right now and not giving me a busy error.

Anyways, let's build some diplomats!

8. Ren

Ren Communist Nazi

Welcome back Gonz! I must admit I've been a bit slack with the Demo Game lately, but I've been pretty busy.

I think we should build Archers AND Elephants, don't bother with Legions.
    Dips Dips Dips! Can never have too many, and get out there before the Monarchs jack up the peoples happiness = price to revolt :D :)()
    Take a Dip on exploring Triremes, let it off as soon as a new land is found.
    I like the idea of building Marco's, it will save Dips for buying cities.
    I don't think a patrol of the mountain range is neccessary(sp?), send Triremes with Dips out in that direction to buy off any dangers :king:
    Don't bother will pole exploration yet, we have other commitments (like crushing closer AI :evil: ).

9. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

A patrol along the mountain range may not be necessary, but it might be a good tactical move. :)

If there is an indian city up there (likely), then they may waste a few units trying to attack us on the mountain range. I say send a defensive unit along it. And maybe a dip for good measure :)

I think that LC does need a barracks quickly, and mine the iron! :)

10. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Just as Fanatika declares a state of peace, This nation has declared war :crazyeye:. I should have my Civ 2 running to make some plans :).

Should we be building legions in lieu of archers? Or elephants? We'll have them soon.
    We should build legions and archers

Should we be building dips as defensive agents?
    We should

Should we be sending triremes with dips to the Vikings and/or Indians?
    We should send the ships to the Vikings so that we can bribe other units

Should we be sending empty triremes on exploratory missions in dangerous areas?
    Not at this moment

Should we be setting up embassies so we know what we are dealing with?
    Yes we should

Do we need to patrol the mountain region near LC?
    Yes

Do we want to send a trireme along the pole with a dip to look for other AI's?
    Yes, but do this very carefully.

11. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

It would be nice to have Marco's so we don't have to build diplo's to establish embassies. I read here you can also buy cities without losing the diplo when you've got Marco's? Great!

We should build that city NW of LC next to the whale, it'll be near Indian territory and will attract much attention, distracting their attention from the rest of our empire. Build a nice pile of defenders and attackers to defend the city... Maybe even a diplo or two to buy any nice units they've got!

LC will need barracks. It's going to build many units once the iron has been mined and veteran units are the ones we need.

Let's not explore foreign coasts with only a trireme, I'm in favour of putting a diplo on every trireme that leaves for exploration. Maybe we can make some friends out there!

12. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

CivGeneral, as you have posted, I won't post a poll this afternoon but expect you to. I'm away this weekend, so if you do want me to post it, better pipe up quickly (ie in the next 2 hours!)

I like dukes Whale City idea:

I think putting defensive units in the mountains/hills near LC is a good idea to catch Indians on their way in.

I think we should give some thought to exploring Indian and Viking coasts and maybe setting up embassies and bribing/walking into vulnerable settlements.

Also (and I know we don't have enough boats yet) we should maybe patrol the coasts with triremes to try and catch those illegal immigrants before they reach land!

13. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

That city should be founded indeed!
    Other proposal: after founding that one the next city should be on the desert seen in the upper right part of the picture of Jayne.
    If we post a phalanx or two in between on top of the mountains we've covered our coast. I like phalanxes for this, they are cheaper than other units and only defense units counts in mountains, attacking other units in the mountains is pointless.

14. StevieP

StevieP Chieftain

Good idea Jayne. I'll vote for that :)

15. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Personally I like to bribe units in such difficult spots, but if there are more than one of them in a stack then I'd prefer to just destroy/bribe their home city rather than try to take them on! Obviously, if I'm cruising my battleship around then these units are toast, but until you get really high-powered weapons then they're a brilliant deterrent! :goodjob:

16. heliogabalus

heliogabalus Warlord

What is it good for? Absolutely nothing! Say it again...

Oh, this is not the meeting of the pacifist society? Disregard my little song then. I'll try to find a different tune.

War has never been so much fun! Killing in the desert, killing in the sun...

(That's not the official hymn for the Iraq War, but the little scraps I remember from the Cannonfodder theme song.)

And now about your suggestions, Jayne:

While they're on sale, we should grab some of those cheap Indian and Viking settlements! Therefore, our triremes should at least be equipped with diplomats.

I prefer legions and elephants, coupling maximum attack power.

The Whale city as a forward outpost stuffed with archers looks good, and the "mountain phalanx" is a definite must! If we are invaded by foreign tanks in the remote future, they are the only way to get rid of those! Of course, our policy is to become the superpower and be the only invaders on this fair planet. But who knows...

17. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

Now that would be a good reason to go after Marco's!
    I agree. One thing I like about this idea is that coastal cities can be bribed straight from the boat.

18. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

AS a random thought, if we are going for a cannon-fodder city, why not build it on the mountain? We will get a defensive bonus, still have to whales for production, and also have the fish. Growth won't be fast, but for a city like that, that may be good anyway - less happiness problems. :)

19. heliogabalus

heliogabalus Warlord

Talking about cannon-fodder: Does anybody have that theme song? I absolutely loved it, but lost it.

20. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

I like that idea! :goodjob: The Indians will just sacrifice themselves there!! :lol: