1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

War!

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Jayne, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

Good idea ainwood, I support building a city on the mountains SW of the fish!

2. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Normally I'd scorn an idea like this, but the fact that our first worker can work the fish and so we'll have an enormous food surplus to make up for the fact that the mountain will only give us one food as the city square. If we get some city walls there at some point and a couple of decent units then we'll be away! The next worker could use the whale and we'd be producing away! We wouldn't be able to grow much until we built a harbour or irrigated all the hills, but we'll easily make size 3 before growth shutdown. And as Jayne said, the Indians will fling themselves at the city.

Echoing somebody's post, I love the dip's marine ability! :goodjob:
    But I'm sure that you lose the dips when you buy a city, whether you have Marco's or not.

3. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

That idea has some merit. As the city won't be founded for a while, there is time to poll later.

Building on the mountain is a good defensive position. For overall strategy, I suggest bribing an Indian city (Viking as well) to use as a beachhead, then fortify to the max! Let them waste resources banging against a strong local threat, so they won't bother invading.

4. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

Drat! Spies are a long way off ....

5. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Er, I think a city on a Mountain has no Food. Zero. So with the fish, it will grow 1. We don't have the pyramids, so I doubt it would work.

However, we could proceed to found the Whale City. See Turn 200AD for Chat, Sending 2 Settlers to found West Indian Whale City.

6. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

I usually don't build cities on mountains, but I remember when I built a city on an iron mountain, I got one food. We should also start mining and then build a city on top to get max production:)

7. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

dips on boats: YES (I argued for this earlier). Send a Trireme with a dip along the pole, not to find civs, but to pop huts.
    Yes on founding the city NW of LC as and Indian deterrent, but better yet to bribe/build a city on their home continent stocked full of defenders to keep them off our land in the first place.
    Why build Archers when we can build Legions? Elephants are needed as we have essentially no 2-move units for attacking. Legions are vulnerable when they move up next to a city before they can attack.

8. gonzo_for_civ

gonzo_for_civ Chicken Walker Retired Moderator

That reminds me..I'd also like to thank ren, for helping immensly with the fight for ancient CFC :D

I think we definately need dips and archers(forward defense) but we also need fast attack units so we'll need elephants too. Legions cannot hurt either.

9. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

gonzo_for_civ, ainwood, Ren, anarchy, chofritz, anyone!:

Have you read the Proposed Governor Pool, posted in Term 4 Cabinet? It's working, but we're a bit sketchy next turn, and I hope funxus will return. Jayne & Dell19 are off a few days.

Start posting ideas about cities, build, serfs, settlers, please.